Is there demand for a "FreeBSD Kommunity Edition"?

• Yes, sure

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Likely

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Doubtfully

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

Beastie7

Aspiring Daemon

I think if some sort of special interests group was formed with enough people in it; a vanilla FreeBSD/KDE release could be fostered and maintained. Thats a lot of work, however.

astyle

Aspiring Daemon

I think we do have the tools for a reasonably pain-free upgrade, without having to figure out how to fight stuff like dependency hell, compile-time options, and run-time options, but somebody needs to figure out how to line it all up. And right now, the challenge is to drum up the interest, and do some problem-solving at different points. Rome wasn't built in a day, people! (oh, and FWIW, KDE has quite a few devs based in Italy! :p )

astyle

Aspiring Daemon

Reading up on Poudriere, it looks like it can be told to build just KDE against existing deps, but that happens just inside the jail. Is it possible to fish packages out of that jail? Assuming I run my poudriere session like grahamperrin:
Once x11/kde5 finishes compiling, I exit the jail... where would I find the poudriere-generated packages to install? Going by the available dump, would that be /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-default/ref/ + /var/db/pkg = /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-default/ref/var/db/pkg?

Or am I going down the road to nowhere?

grahamperrin

Daemon

Here:
Code:
% pwd
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
% ls -hl
total 1
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   207B 16 May 09:31 base.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    30B  1 Feb  2019 FreeBSD.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   149B 11 Jul 19:05 poudriere.conf
% cat poudriere.conf
{
    "poudriere": {
        "url": "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/main-default",
        "enabled": true,
        "priority": 4
    }
}
%

In your case the URL will probably might be different.

(I named my jail main because I work with FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT.)

astyle

Aspiring Daemon

Reading up on Poudriere, it looks like it can be told to build just KDE against existing deps, but that happens just inside the jail. Is it possible to fish packages out of that jail? Assuming I run my poudriere session like grahamperrin:
Once x11/kde5 finishes compiling, I exit the jail... where would I find the poudriere-generated packages to install? Going by the available dump, would that be /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-default/ref/ + /var/db/pkg = /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-default/ref/var/db/pkg?

Or am I going down the road to nowhere?
After reading the poudriere(8), I figured out the answer to my own question: /usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/!

Now my next couple questions:
Any ideas for generating the pkglist for poudriere to work with? I like enabling as many options as I can, but I do disable EXAMPLES, JAVA, clearly broken options, TESTS and F77. I do enable DOCS, MANPAGES. I did figure out how to deal with circular deps of graphviz/ruby/doxygen... I'd want to pre-compile as much as I can so that Poudriere only compiles the KDE ports I specify. I did figure out how to do a dry run with ports-mgmt/portmaster (inside a script session, and use a hella cryptic sed command to convert ./typescript into something for poudriere.

Updating: This is the big one, and may be related to generating the pkglist above in this post. Assuming I suceed in generating the pkglist for poudriere to compile, can the same list be fed to # portsnap fetch update?

A few hours down the road - and now it's looking like order matters: some pre-requisite ports need to be installed first, before I run make-config-recursive to prep the ports tree for portmaster!!!