Is there demand for a "FreeBSD Kommunity Edition"?

• Yes, sure

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Likely

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Doubtfully

• No

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • Don't know

• Total voters

BostonBSD

When non-computer people ask me what OS I use I usually tell them FreeBSD and describe it as a kit operating system. They give you a vanilla OS and you configure it however you'd like.

In actual experience, it does seem like this, although it really is pitched as a server operating system for professionals, the desktop portion being a contribution of enthusiastic individuals.

I think FreeBSD could become more of a niche in the hobbyist realm if it focused slightly more on pitching itself as a kit generic operating system [with this project of course, not the entire OS]. Not unlike Gentoo, but slightly less automated. It very much is like this today, but could perhaps become more so with this endeavor. I don't see this project requiring more than a rehash and focus on the handbook, with perhaps some simple scripts [desktop-installer]...not counting porting issues I suppose.

Instead of ports it might be possible to have a "pkg build" command [this has nothing to do with what I just said, but it popped into my mind just now...I think there was/is an apt-build command in the Debian/Ubuntu world].

=====
The very reason no one would try to sell freebsd is because they can download it for free anywhere. If someone builds something ontop of it, then they are selling that portion of their own work. GPL is nearly the same, except if you build something with their code you have to give that away also, before you try to sell it [RedHat Linux for example].

Over the course of time, this plain vanilla BSD system becomes more robust and starts pushing the bar higher, like a bulldozer. The GPL systems appear to reach the bleeding edge faster, but the technological bar doesn't really push higher until the base technology becomes truly free for all people [LTSP is a really good idea, but until there's a BSD equivalent that technology hasen't pushed the bar higher for all people, when GPL code is abandoned the technology disappears completely, BSD code doesn't really disappear, if it was a good idea it gets absorbed into the base system {BSD code has a lower hurdle for repurposing}.].

...Through observation the GPL really does appear to benefit the end users more so than the developers. The end users get to utilize bleeding edge technology for free, however, the developers are in a state of continuous development, code contributions become incentives for further development resulting in an endless cycle of what appears to be competition, but ostensibly isn't {if you do not contribute to this code, the technology will disappear, look how proficient we are....}.

BSD appears to be a lower stress environment, the code contributions are typically well established technologies that exist elsewhere already, but are simply raising the general bar for the whole. The focus is on the cleanliness of the code and the stability of the whole, not necessarily reaching the goal first or attempting to create any groundbreaking technological introduction to the masses. Whichever is more altruistic I suppose is subjective.