Solved How FreeBSD Forums prevented me from KMS

3.15 inch OneHalf and the tale of long-tailed !ant¡-Virus distribution
Many years ago, after I got bitten by OneHalf, I've developed some kind of backup procedure. It wasn't perfect at the time, but it was working and got better over several years. I don't consume antivirus, and I disable Defender through GPEDIT.MSC and regedit.exe. They're useless.

PROCEDURE BEGIN to the END;
On a monthly schedule, two incremental backups on two separated external HDDs, with half of month offset between the two. Also every fortnight, I send an AES-ed copy of most important files to the server-farm aka cloud -- "cloud" is a buzzword, and I won't use that term!

Laptop-As-A-Destop (LAAD)
I use password manager. I don't save password on browsers, esp. if it's Mozilla. Some of my data are shared between Windows, FreeBSD through one little 32 GB FAT32LBA/MBR partition on my LAAD -- I don't believe in GPT/UEFI either! Some of them are: project files, httpd www/data, SSL certs, and few other files, e.g. password DB.

FAT#@
Few weeks ago, We had a blackout. I was in the middle of a Windows session. Many files were open. I love blackouts, my bunker doesn't have windows and it gives me pitch-black. After few hours, things turned back to boring normal. I turned on the computer (battery didn't work), and CHKDSK checked my FAT32. I didn't check the result. I moved on. Few days later, I ran my scheduled backup, and two weeks after that another one. And of course one copy to the server-farm.

Trash
FreeBSD Forums is doing this and I hate it for it! Every 60 days or so, they want me to re-identify myself again. For what purpose? Who knows! Admins hate me.
Onward; To re-authenticate myself to the FreeBSD Forums, I opened-up my password manager. Err Error..., no DB found! I checked the folder. There was no DB file. I checked HDD1 and then HDD2. Nothing over there either. I felt the same thing. The OneHalf nightmare! I checked the online backup too. Well, another nill.

CHKDSK
DB was corrupted when the power went out. The DB file was removed by CHKDSK, and I was backing up an empty folder for weeks.

^(SHIFT)Z
Luckily, I didn't empty the online trash folder, and their was an old copy of DB file. It was one month old though, and lots of changes has happened since last month. I had to spend a full day to recover all changed passwords.

INT13h
I was lucky, and I have to say FreeBSD Forums irritating policy of re-authentication saved me. If it didn't force me to re-authenticate myself, I would have emptied the trash too, hence KMS!
Thanks FreeBSD Forums admins,

... and that's the story.

The forum keep the auth cookies in your browser and cleaning them is the cause for reauthorization (aka new sessions cookies) to be created.
Check how your browser is keeping the cookies and search the problem there.

To be more precise: the whole idea of this post is to send a thank you to Forums admins. One little re-sign-in literally saved from a giagantic unsolvable trouble.

Back