FreeBSD Screen Shots

If you look at the photo, there is a small circuit between server and the UPS, this is actually a fan controller for a couple of GELID silent fans mounted on top of the door (if you look at the other photos on the album http://album.escix.com/picture.php?/9184/category/305 ).

When the temp inside goes above 29C the fans will start to work. The temp control is optional, as you can have the fans running 24/7.

One thing I noticed though the UPS put out more heat than the HP Microserver, I am looking at the option of either replacing UPS or moving the UPS to a suitable location.

freebuser said:
When the temp inside goes above 29C the fans will start to work. The temp control is optional, as you can have the fans running 24/7.

Saw the fans, had just wondered if they provided enough ventilation/cool.

I don't use FreeBSD on my desktop and instead use ArchLinux. My Servers run FreeBSD but have no GUI's so there is no point showing console screenshots.

Here's my ArchLinux box as it is today (some stuff blurred out or removed for privacy)· Sorry about the compression.

Running HerbstluftWM, with Dzen2, Dmenu, urxvt and various programs. My theme is based on solarized.

Somewhat disappointed that it's an Arch screen shot instead of FreeBSD :p, but cool theme.
.....and happy one year anniversary of being a FreeBSD-Forum-ite!

segfault said:
Somewhat disappointed that it's an Arch screen shot instead of FreeBSD :p, but cool theme.
.....and happy one year anniversary of being a FreeBSD-Forum-ite!

Thanks.

If it was strictly a workstation then I'd probably use a *BSD on it. However I use it for a bit of everything.

It's been a long time coming, realCDE on new laptop. :) FreeBSD 9.1. Special thanks to the CDE team.

I know this is old, but...

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
nice prompt. Any chance of getting it?

Current Screen. FreeBSD+fvwm

Any chance you still might be able to post your config used in the above shot? It's gorgeous!

2cg9ci.png

Just got tint2 from SVN with launcher option, so lxpanel is no longer needed (but it served very well).

The rest is: openbox/feh/tint2/conky/slurm/nautilus/screen/urxvt

... for the record, earlier setup with lxpanel:

zspider said:
It's been a long time coming, realCDE on new laptop. :) FreeBSD 9.1. Special thanks to the CDE team.

Really cool! I loved CDE and Motif on proprietary Unix workstation. I think it had a few weak spots, but also quite good points. I suppose though that there is no new development in updating parts of the finder or the control panels... or integrating apps into CDE?

And despite being said "fat", I ran it on 20Mhz POWER machines ith 32 or 40MB of ram :)

kpedersen said:
I have just fixed the CDE dtwm code so that a colored box isn't displayed around the workspace buttons when the toolbar is a different color (green in this pic like in IBM's AIX) :)

So thought I should share the final screenshot.

j7rkpc.png

http://oi49.tinypic.com/205a15c.jpg
Superb. NOw run this beast on PowerPC instead of x86 and you start feeling at home!

GNUstep

Being a GNUstep developer, I run GS and GAP applications (directly from sources) on my laptop. Here displayed on a gorgeous 22" screen instead of the internal monitor!

An administrator session, WindowMaker as WM, showing GWorkspace with its desktop and dock, GAP's battery monitor and Terminal:
55jjb.png

And here instead a developer session using ProjectCenter and actual Graphos code (http://gap.nongu.org/graphos/index.html:
2mo6vc5.png

Riccardo

multix said:
Really cool! I loved CDE and Motif on proprietary Unix workstation. I think it had a few weak spots, but also quite good points. I suppose though that there is no new development in updating parts of the finder or the control panels... or integrating apps into CDE?

And despite being said "fat", I ran it on 20Mhz POWER machines ith 32 or 40MB of ram :)

Thanks,:p

Right now development is slow, still bugs to be quashed, It would be really cool if people would make more applications for CDE(example: a conky like system monitor in motif) and icons made in the traditional fashion. Other then some of the annoying bugs, it's been working pretty well, I just hope they don't drop the ball on development.

zspider said:
Thanks,:p

Right now development is slow, still bugs to be quashed, It would be really cool if people would make more applications for CDE(example: a conky like system monitor in motif) and icons made in the traditional fashion. Other then some of the annoying bugs, it's been working pretty well, I just hope they don't drop the ball on development.
Everything on Motif is slow nowadays. Personally all my dev. time is devoted to GNUstep.
But I remember working on my IRC client (check nebula-irc on sourceforge) and finding the exact tricks and bits to make Motif blend in into CDE or SGI's IndigoMagic! Too cool.

Or also make Mosaic CDE.friendly:)

Back