FreeBSD Screen Shots

I love your status bar at the top, I've been trying to get something similar in i3 but no luck. I'm thinking of going back to awesome. Would you mind sharing your configurations?

segfault said:
Love your status bar at the top, been trying to get something similar in i3 but no luck. Thinking of going back to awesome. Would you mind sharing your configs?

If you're referring to to my screenshot, thanks and sure. Just give me a bit to clean up the configuration file(s) and I'll post a link. I've had zero exposure to scripting or programming until a week ago when I just decided to say "why not" and dive in head first so the configuration file is shall we say "a bit horrid looking" at the moment.

EDIT: Had a bit of time to clean up the configuration file. Be forewarned my scripting skills are lacking horribly yet ;) . Here you go.

protocelt said:
segfault said:
Love your status bar at the top, been trying to get something similar in i3 but no luck. Thinking of going back to awesome. Would you mind sharing your configs?

If you're referring to to my screenshot, thanks and sure. Just give me a bit to clean up the configuration file(s) and I'll post a link. I've had zero exposure to scripting or programming until a week ago when I just decided to say "why not" and dive in head first so the configuration file is shall we say "a bit horrid looking" at the moment.

Just wondering where u you got the freebsd FreeBSD logo icon for the awesome menu icon, pretty neat.

Hi,

I just finished building a FreeBSD 10-RC3 desktop using a mirrored ZFS zroot. I loaded x11/xorg, x11-wm/xfce4, x11/slim, x11/slim-themes, deskutils/cairo-dock, deskutils/cairo-dock-plugins, Chrome, LibreOffice and some other X11 applications that I use all from ports. It's just minimal stuff that I use, no Gnome or KDE stuff. I'm pretty happy with FreeBSD 10, just waiting for AMD support in bhyve.

Here are my screen shots showing the Xfce desktop with cairo-dock and the Slim login manager using the FreeBSD theme. All from ports. The desktop screen shot is clickable.

https://sites.google.com/site/myfreebsd10desktop/

regards
John

protocelt said:
My x11/awesome desktop. I'm liking this Window Manager more and more.

Wow, that looks great. What themes and additions did you use for your setup? If I want to use a simple tiling WM, I usually use i3 because i like the way tiling is done in i3. How is tiling in Awesome these days?

BSDBernd said:
Wow, that looks great. What themes and additions did you use for your setup? If I want to use a simple tiling wm, I usually use i3 because i like the way tiling is done in i3. How is tiling in Awesome these days?

Thanks :). I posted a link to the configuration I was using a few posts earlier. Awesome uses dynamic tiling, unlike i3's manual tiling. It works well enough for my needs right now. It's the only thing I wish was an option in Awesome.

Well, I really enjoy my FreeBSD environment and considering that I'm almost using FreeBSD for one year now I suppose I could share a quick peek into one of my servers as well:

Code:
smtp2:/usr/ports $ uname -a
FreeBSD smtp2.xxxx.com 9.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p2 #2 r258858: Wed Dec  4 23:53:05 CET 2013     peter@smtp2.xxxx.com:/usr/obj/usr/src92/sys/SECKERNEL  amd64
smtp2:/usr/ports $
This server is scheduled to be upgraded to FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 tomorrow evening :)

(I know it's a bit of a silly joke, but I honestly do take a bit of pride in my customized environment ;))

ShelLuser said:
Well, I really enjoy my FreeBSD environment and considering that I'm almost using FreeBSD for one year now I suppose I could share a quick peek into one of my servers as well:

Code:
smtp2:/usr/ports $ uname -a
FreeBSD smtp2.xxxx.com 9.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p2 #2 r258858: Wed Dec  4 23:53:05 CET 2013     peter@smtp2.xxxx.com:/usr/obj/usr/src92/sys/SECKERNEL  amd64
smtp2:/usr/ports $
This server is scheduled to be upgraded to FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 tomorrow evening :)

(I know it's a bit of a silly joke, but I honestly do take a bit of pride in my customized environment ;))

I'm sorry but uname output of secure mail servers is not allowed in this thread. Of course an exception can be made for brief access to your private keys. (I'm kidding of course in case that wasn't apparent.) ;)

jdmssmkr said:
protocelt said:
My x11/awesome desktop. I'm liking this Window Manager more and more.

Amazing!

Thanks. :D

More tweaking.

Attachments

• Desktop.png
    Desktop.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 5,383
Having nearly avoided a lawsuit from @protocelt ( :beergrin ) and having messed about with both VirtualBox and FreeBSD 10 I sort of lost quite some sleep this evening (FreeBSD is one of those operating systems which truly fascinates and excites me). But I did it ;)

I now got myself a fully customized FreeBSD 10 running within a VirtualBox environment. This time with a GUI which is powered by X.Org and Xfce4. Further applications currently available here are SeaMonkey, Geeqie and NetBeans. At the time of the screenshot graphics/gimp and net/samba36 are currently still building (the FreeBSD base system was, obviously, built using the source tree and all other applications have been built using the Ports collection).

FreeBSD10-2.png

A better, but perhaps slightly not safe for work ("NSFW") snapshot can be found here. But you have been warned; personally I like that background better (I set Xfce4 to rotate between three wallpapers).

In case you're wondering: all wallpapers are focussed around Ghost in the Shell, my all time favourite Anime/Manga (there's little material which I don't have; from the official Manga's (both in Japanese and translated in English) to most of the movies (the 'official' ones and Stand Alone Complex "spin offs") :) ).

Edit: Edited too many times to fix typo's and silly syntax mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
tzoi516 said:
What are you using for your links and PDFs? Thanks.
Links is just a generated HTML file from a LINKS file:
Code:
% generate_links_html.sh 
usage: generate_links_html.sh LINK_FILE > generated.htm

LINK_FILE format:
  | begin: CATEGORY
  |   http://link.com LINK_NANE
  |   begin: SUBCATEGORY
  |     http://site.net SITE_NANE
  |     info -- separator --
  |     http://blog.org BLOG_NANE
  |   end
  | end

The PDF viewer is GNOME's deafult one - Evince.

Back