Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

I'm getting an error during build. I think you might be missing a dependency in the port Makefile?
Code:
 1:24.27 checking for pango >= 1.22.0 pangoft2 >= 1.22.0 pangocairo >= 1.22.0... no
make stage-qa also tells me that pango has to be added (this direct dependency is new). But another, related thing is totally unclear to me: There's a line like
Makefile:
USE_GNOME= cairo gtk20 pango […]
in the Makefile, and so far this worked without any complain of any QA-tool. But now make stage-qa says I've missed to add
Makefile:
USE_GNOME+=cairo
USE_GNOME+=gtk20
USE_GNOME+=pango
[…]
As far I know both writings should be equal … okay, let's write it in the form the QA-tool says - but nothing changes: make stage-qa complains all GNOME dependencies as "not set" (!) even if added as told. Is the USE_GNOME macro buggy at the moment?

I'll wait for the port update till this is fixed.

I just built it on my laptop for the first time since March build. FreeBSD 12.2p6 and it went fine.
Ran portsnap fetch extract first.

I see you are running poudriere. Have you updated the ports tree there?
I was given to understand portsnap isn't working any more (to fetch an up-to-date port tree) since transition to GIT?

There is no "or", but an "and"; From SeaMonkeys webpage: "All-in-one internet application suite" […] "containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools".

(And IMO I didn't catch a "late train" - SeaMonkey offers security backports (at the moment up to Firefox 91.4 ESR), and HTML/CSS/JS has defined standards, which are met. So to me it's more on the "bleeding edge" side ;) )

(And IMO I didn't catch a "late train" - SeaMonkey offers security backports (at the moment up to Firefox 91.4 ESR), and HTML/CSS/JS has defined standards, which are met. So to me it's more on the "bleeding edge" side ;) )
Yes, looks like you are right about that. I was not fully aware about Seamonkey.

> There is no "or", but an "and"; From SeaMonkeys webpage: "All-in-one internet application suite" […] "containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools".

At this point I'm still confused, cause ... there is still an option --enable-application and I switched it to comm/mail as the only thing I'm interested is the mail client. Results are... weird... 1) it built 2) .../bin/seamonkey link is broken 3) there is "thunderbird" executable in lib directory, the version 56.10.1 4) it would be what I want, but a little bit old. Do you have some knowledge what happened? I can fix symlinks but is comm/mail a valid build option or some leftover? Also when you made a port have you happen to find a full mozconf options list?

p.s.

Seems like disabling PULSEAUDIO in your default build still produces package that drags that dependency. Haven't checked twice though. Just reaped it off completely in my Makefile.

there is still an option --enable-application and I switched it to comm/mail as the only thing I'm interested is the mail client
I didn't find a source for it anymore, but as far I know this is historic (the development assumes that you built it completely).
Results are... weird... 1) it built 2) .../bin/seamonkey link is broken 3) there is "thunderbird" executable in lib directory
The ports Makefile creates that symlink; So if you've modified the ports Makefile to create something different, this also has to be adjusted.
is comm/mail a valid build option or some leftover?
As far I know it's a leftover.
Also when you made a port have you happen to find a full mozconf options list?
Run ./configure --help inside the source directory. But: Not everything of it will work, and even if you're disabling some things: If available on your computer it might be included anyway.
Seems like disabling PULSEAUDIO in your default build still produces package that drags that dependency.
That's not the SeaMonkey port that pulls it in; There's no built and no run dependency on it, and a pkg autoremove will remove it after the build process (as long no other port depends on it). On my installation there is no pulseaudio port, and SeaMonkey works fully without it.

I'll wait for the port update till this is fixed.
Hi, I'm one of your Seamonkey port users, awaiting for the update. Will it be adviced when ready, possibly with the explained update command for it?
Thank you much meantime

It is fixed - the latest port update was on 13.12.2021 when SeaMonkey 2.53.10.1 has been released. The "update command" is just to re-install this port like any other port: cd into the ports directory, execute make to compile it, and if it was successful make reinstall to update an already installed port; Afterwards run make clean followed by an optional pkg autoremove (but read its output carefully!).

Beside of visiting my ports website (https://jmos.net/software/freebsd.rvt) I'm offering there a RSS feed which informs about newer versions. If you don't subscribe to it you've got to check yourself for updates; I'm not announcing all my port updates here (as I'm not sure if such third party software and posting ~every month "port updated to version XY" is ontopic and wanted in this forum).

It is fixed - the latest port update was on 13.12.2021 when SeaMonkey 2.53.10.1 has been released. The "update command" is just to re-install this port like any other port: cd into the ports directory, execute make to compile it, and if it was successful make reinstall to update an already installed port; Afterwards run make clean followed by an optional pkg autoremove (but read its output carefully!).

Beside of visiting my ports website (https://jmos.net/software/freebsd.rvt) I'm offering there a RSS feed which informs about newer versions. If you don't subscribe to it you've got to check yourself for updates; I'm not announcing all my port updates here (as I'm not sure if such third party software and posting ~every month "port updated to version XY" is ontopic and wanted in this forum).

clear, thank you much

At this point I'm still confused, cause ... there is still an option --enable-application and I switched it to comm/mail as the only thing I'm interested is the mail client. Results are... weird... 1) it built 2) .../bin/seamonkey link is broken 3) there is "thunderbird" executable in lib directory, the version 56.10.1 4) it would be what I want, but a little bit old. Do you have some knowledge what happened?

Hi, when successfully installed this Seamonkey port, I also wanted to separate the possibilities to start it as web browser or as email client standalone.
Just obtained what needed by editing the specific app launcher gadget in my Xfce desktop utilities (guess other desktop manager have similar). In the Email Client gadget I turned the launch command into seamonkey -mail , so that the Seamonkey email window alone comes as I click that gadget.
If this was what you're looking for.

I have to sheepishly admit that I have finally used one of SeaMonkey's auxiliary functions and it is delightful.
SeaMonkey Composer is the html editor and for basic work it is exactly what I needed.
Reminds me of the PageMill 3 that Adobe trashed for something else they had bought at the time...

I was a happy occasional user of SeaMonkey. Mainly the WYSIWYG HTML editor (I forget its name), which I sometimes used to help plug the gaps in usability of LANDESK.

… delightful.

SeaMonkey Composer is the html editor and for basic work it is exactly what I needed. …

Can anyone think of an alternative simple HTML WYSIWYG editor that's ported separately from SeaMonkey?

(People who have never suffered LANDESK might not understand the question …)

Around March 26 jmos updated us to Seamonkey-2.53.11.1

Thanks so much. I am rebuilding a 10yr old kiosk and wanted to build on 13.1-RC4.

Openbox kiosk with SeaMonkey is my short term goal while learning touchscreen setup.

Thank you very much for the port!
I'm attempting to build it right now, on 13.0-RELEASE-p11.
One question: the llvm on my system is
[ko@wiley ~]$ pkg info -x llvm llvm13-13.0.1_2 [ko@wiley ~]$
However the line
${LOCALBASE}/bin/clang${LLVM_DEFAULT}:devel/llvm${LLVM}${LLVM_DEFAULT}
in the Makefile results in llvm-9.0.1. Is that version really necessary?

Haven't done tests with the actual SeaMonkey and different LLVM versions, but older SeaMonkey versions worked with LLVM 13, too; So I would expect the actual port works with LLVM 13.

To get the dependencies low I decided to define the port to use the default LLVM version (as you noticed: I didn't define that version in the port, instead "LLVM_DEFAULT") - and that's still 90; This is defined in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk; But never ever modify that file, instead create a file /etc/make.conf, and write down there f.e.:
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=llvm=13
Note: Untested, and the make.conf entry is just what I think it should be… Maybe someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Edit: You can - of course - also edit the ports makefile to set your version ;)

Haven't done tests with the actual SeaMonkey and different LLVM versions, but older SeaMonkey versions worked with LLVM 13, too; So I would expect the actual port works with LLVM 13.

To get the dependencies low I decided to define the port to use the default LLVM version (as you noticed: I didn't define that version in the port, instead "LLVM_DEFAULT") - and that's still 90; This is defined in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk; But never ever modify that file, instead create a file /etc/make.conf, and write down there f.e.:
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=llvm=13
Note: Untested, and the make.conf entry is just what I think it should be… Maybe someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Edit: You can - of course - also edit the ports makefile to set your version ;)
OK, thanks. I ended up building with LLVM_DEFAULT, then deleted the llvm-90 package.

One question, which perhaps doesn't belong here. Everything works fine, except the calendar/lightning.
After creating a test calendar, if I try to add a new event, I keep getting an error.
The following is from my .xsession-errors, I'm using xfce:

Code:
console.error: Lightning: 
  [calStorageCalendar] DB error: attempt to write a readonly database
exc: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [mozIStorageStatement.executeStep]"  nsresult: "0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY)"  location: "JS frame :: jar:file:///usr/local/lib/seamonkey/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D.xpi!/components/calStorageCalendar.js :: writeRecurrence :: line 2184"  data: no]
JavaScript error: jar:file:///usr/local/lib/seamonkey/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D.xpi!/components/calStorageCalendar.js, line 2184: NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY: Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [mozIStorageStatement.executeStep]

I searched the web for this with no success. Do you have any idea/suggestion?

[calStorageCalendar] DB error: attempt to write a readonly database

Check file/directory permissions?

I compile SeaMonkey from the source tar these days and have not encountered this - my calendar works fine.

I ended up building with LLVM_DEFAULT, then deleted the llvm-90 package.
If you took care of automatic an explicit installed packages/ports you can do a pkg autoremove - that would remove llvm90 as well as all other build dependencies from your installation.
After creating a test calendar, if I try to add a new event, I keep getting an error.
Checked on a new users profile: works here. See trev's answer #223, it complains "read only". (Note that I don't use that function for my daily work - I've written my own calendar).

If you took care of automatic an explicit installed packages/ports you can do a pkg autoremove - that would remove llvm90 as well as all other build dependencies from your installation.

Checked on a new users profile: works here. See trev's answer #223, it complains "read only". (Note that I don't use that function for my daily work - I've written my own calendar).
OK, problem solved, thanks. I had messed up my profile somehow. Creating a new one fixed the problem.

On a different subject, have you considered making this port official? I came to SeaMonkey after using PaleMoon for a while, until the port was cancelled after a long history of back-and-forth. (See here, if interested: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=251117).

Now it seems to me that SeaMonkey is a major alternative to Firefox/Thunderbird for FreeBSD users who are looking for a "classic" interface in their browser and email client.

Back