Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

ok thanks! :D

EDIT: Build still fails on 13.2

Code:
 0:49.69 gmake[4]: *** [/usr/ports/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.53.16/config/recurse.mk:34: compile] Error 2
 0:49.70 gmake[3]: *** [/usr/ports/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.53.16/config/rules.mk:381: default] Error 2
 0:49.70 gmake[2]: *** [client.mk:124: build] Error 2
 0:49.70 34 compiler warnings present.
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/seamonkey
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/www/seamonkey

On a fresh install of FreeBSD 13, I get the following when trying to install the latest:
Code:
pkg install seamonkey-2.53.16.pkg

Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: seamonkey has a missing dependency: atk

According to /usr/ports/UPDATING, the accessibility/atk port was replaced by accessibility/at-spi2-core back in March. My current system has accessibility/at-spi2-core installed but not accessibility/atk. What's the best way to get past this? The pkg was built in a FreeBSD jail that does have accessibility/atk installed.

denverh: SeaMonkey itself has no direct dependency to atk - instead the port uses the atk macro of the ports build system (/usr/ports/Mk/Uses/gnome.mk) that triggers the relevant packages (look at grep at-spi2-core /usr/ports/Mk/Uses/gnome.mk - "atk" actually fires "accessibility/at-spi2-core").
If you're mixing ports an packages you can run into this trouble (alternatively: not all of your ports are build from the actual ports tree); But if you're compiling all your packages on a fresh, clean machine everything will go fine - the SeaMonkey package will hava a depenency to the actual at-spi2-core package (pkg info -d seamonkey | grep at gives a "at-spi2-core-2.48.0" - and not a "atk" package).
But if you're not mixing ports and packages and run into this: You will need to recompile everything from scratch from time to time, or: Others say that poudriere will solve those things (but I'm not using it). And maybe a pkg delete at-spi2-core && pkg autoremove and recompile every lost but wanted port again will help (but this only will work if you've took care of the "automatic/manually" flags of ports/packes on your system - otherwise a "autoremove" won't lead to anything usefull).
Edit: Also a pkg check -d -a may give some more informations ;)

tedbell: It's not a amd64 system, or is it? Haven't seen this before (and compiled all my ports from scratch last Saturday), but all my research goes in that direction… If it's not amd64, that bug belongs to the upstream (but I think I remember that they decided to only support amd64 … and I should narrow the port down on that). But if you're on amd64 I need much more informations: Do you mix packages and ports, the bottom line of the buld process may show a line like "TIER: configure pre-export export compile misc libs tools" - on which of those stages are you on when getting that error? To get valid test results you should exclude anything from you running machine, so using a jail without old (or prefetched) packages would be a good idea. My port contains a email address - the file created via pkg info > packages.txt would be nice, also the output from uname -a.

Thanks jmos, that pointed me in the right direction. For years I built everything from scratch, but now I mostly use pkgs, building just a handful of ports that need non-default options. I don't think that's a problem as long as the ports tree and installed pkgs are kept reasonably in sync, which is a lot easier to do these days using the quarterly approach. The last time I updated the main system I thought I had also updated the jail, but apparently not. After doing that and making the seamonkey package again, everything works. Thanks again.

denverh: SeaMonkey itself has no direct dependency to atk - instead the port uses the atk macro of the ports build system (/usr/ports/Mk/Uses/gnome.mk) that triggers the relevant packages (look at grep at-spi2-core /usr/ports/Mk/Uses/gnome.mk - "atk" actually fires "accessibility/at-spi2-core").
If you're mixing ports an packages you can run into this trouble (alternatively: not all of your ports are build from the actual ports tree); But if you're compiling all your packages on a fresh, clean machine everything will go fine - the SeaMonkey package will hava a depenency to the actual at-spi2-core package (pkg info -d seamonkey | grep at gives a "at-spi2-core-2.48.0" - and not a "atk" package).
But if you're not mixing ports and packages and run into this: You will need to recompile everything from scratch from time to time, or: Others say that poudriere will solve those things (but I'm not using it). And maybe a pkg delete at-spi2-core && pkg autoremove and recompile every lost but wanted port again will help (but this only will work if you've took care of the "automatic/manually" flags of ports/packes on your system - otherwise a "autoremove" won't lead to anything usefull).
Edit: Also a pkg check -d -a may give some more informations ;)

tedbell: It's not a amd64 system, or is it? Haven't seen this before (and compiled all my ports from scratch last Saturday), but all my research goes in that direction… If it's not amd64, that bug belongs to the upstream (but I think I remember that they decided to only support amd64 … and I should narrow the port down on that). But if you're on amd64 I need much more informations: Do you mix packages and ports, the bottom line of the buld process may show a line like "TIER: configure pre-export export compile misc libs tools" - on which of those stages are you on when getting that error? To get valid test results you should exclude anything from you running machine, so using a jail without old (or prefetched) packages would be a good idea. My port contains a email address - the file created via pkg info > packages.txt would be nice, also the output from uname -a.

Hi,

I am on amd64 and I don't mix ports with packages except the dependencies that seamonkey requires.

The build fails at the "compile" stage. I will try and build with poudriere.
I will send u an email with my package list. Thanks for the help.:D

Meanwhile:

Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd.org 13.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE releng/13.2-n254617-525ecfdad597 GENERIC amd64

EDIT: I can't find the email address on your website so I will attack the packages.txt file here.

Attachments

• packages.txt
    61.5 KB · Views: 82
EDIT: I can't find the email address on your website so I will attack the packages.txt file here.
You'll find the mailaddress of a port maintainer inside the Makefile ;)

I've created a blank machine, installed your package list (~99,5% is possible [¹]), and done some test with my SeaMonkey port. And didn't get any trouble. None package is missing to compile the port - just entering make in the ports directory builds the port.

…so, what can be done: [¹] tells me that not every of your installed packages are in sync - it may be a good idea to re-install all of them: pkg upgrade -f

Next take sure your ports tree is up to date. I recommend to use the package "gitup" therefore (gitup ports). You're using portmaster, so after all run a portmaster -a(dB); Note that afterwards you will be on the branch "latest", and not anymore on "quarterly". And that may not be what you want…

Much simpler that that: As I've compiled SeaMonkey today on quarterly I uploaded two binary packages of Seamonkey:

SeaMonkey 2.53.16 - quarterly, 13.2/amd64 (most users / default)
SeaMonkey 2.53.16 - latest, 13.2/amd64

Thanks for your help :D

I tried building in a clean poudriere jail and I think I've found a problem but it persists when I install the missing package (python3):

Code:
===>  Building for seamonkey-2.53.16
/bin/mkdir -p /wrkdirs/overlays/seamonkey/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.53.16/
/wrkdirs/overlays/seamonkey/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.53.16/mach build
This mach command requires python3, which wasn't found on the system!
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /overlays/seamonkey/www/seamonkey
=>> Cleaning up wrkdir
===>  Cleaning for seamonkey-2.53.16
build of www/seamonkey | seamonkey-2.53.16 ended at Wed May 10 14:31:29 EDT 2023
build time: 00:01:27
!!! build failure encountered !!!

By the way I am using the "latest" pkg repository.

I installed python3 through poudriere but I still get this error. I will try your solutions. Thank you :D

Code:
This mach command requires python3, which wasn't found on the system!
I think here's a /usr/local/bin/python3 wanted, but you may have only /usr/local/bin/python3.9. Correct? My systems provide all both, and maybe I created a symlink manually and forgot to remove it afterwards on my test environment - but that symlink is on more than this machine… Do you have that symlink on the installation you first tried to compile the port? I can't find the package that created that symlink, but as others compile that port, too… And I'm remembering a SeaMonkey beta version that confused my with this error, but whatever the solution was…
Power down for today - tomorrow is another day.

I think here's a /usr/local/bin/python3 wanted, but you may have only /usr/local/bin/python3.9. Correct? My systems provide all both, and maybe I created a symlink manually and forgot to remove it afterwards on my test environment - but that symlink is on more than this machine… Do you have that symlink on the installation you first tried to compile the port? I can't find the package that created that symlink, but as others compile that port, too… And I'm remembering a SeaMonkey beta version that confused my with this error, but whatever the solution was…
Power down for today - tomorrow is another day.

I deleted a "python3" simlink in /usr/local/bin that pointed to python3.9.
Which version is the correct one to build?
I have the python3 meta package installed but build still fails with the above error. :-/

I deleted a "python3" simlink in /usr/local/bin that pointed to python3.9.
Which version is the correct one to build?
There is no special version needed. Just set ist back to 3.9, that's the actual one. And it had the full paths:
ln -s /usr/local/bin/python3.9 /usr/local/bin/python3

Edit #1: Symlink isn't present for sure - whatever set that, I've got to fix the port in case that it isn't available. Meanwhile use a symlink (and don't forget to remove it after building the package).

Edit #2: I'm getting the symlink from the python3 package:
Code:
root@suleviae ~>  ls /usr/local/bin/python3*
/usr/local/bin/python3.9        /usr/local/bin/python3.9-config
root@suleviae ~>  pkg install python3
[…]
root@suleviae ~>  ls /usr/local/bin/python3*
/usr/local/bin/python3          /usr/local/bin/python3-config   /usr/local/bin/python3.9        /usr/local/bin/python3.9-config
But the python3-package is missing in my build-dependencies if you're pre-fetching *all* needed packages before compiling just this single port… I will fix it.

Edit#3: Port & packages are updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no special version needed. Just set ist back to 3.9, that's the actual one. And it had the full paths:
ln -s /usr/local/bin/python3.9 /usr/local/bin/python3

Edit #1: Symlink isn't present for sure - whatever set that, I've got to fix the port in case that it isn't available. Meanwhile use a symlink (and don't forget to remove it after building the package).

Edit #2: I'm getting the symlink from the python3 package:
root@suleviae ~> ls /usr/local/bin/python3*
/usr/local/bin/python3.9 /usr/local/bin/python3.9-config
root@suleviae ~> pkg install python3
[…]
root@suleviae ~> ls /usr/local/bin/python3*
/usr/local/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/python3-config /usr/local/bin/python3.9 /usr/local/bin/python3.9-config

But the python3-package is missing in my build-dependencies if you're pre-fetching *all* needed packages before compiling just this single port… I will fix it.

Edit#3: Port & packages are updated.
Thanks for all your help. :D

I have python3 installed and it does install the symlink. But the build still fails.

I have tried everything. Thanks for creating those pre made packages.

I tried building in a clean jail and I still get errors. I don't know what the cause is. Does this have to do with the fact I am on 13.2?

I have been able to build the app fine right up until this latest version. Which version of rust are you building with?

Here is the output of the build (attached)

Code:
cd /usr/ports/www/seamonkey
make | tee seamonkey.out.txt

Attachments

• seamonkey.out.txt
    108.5 KB · Views: 56
Your output file shows lines like:
Code:
/usr/include/c++/v1/vector:822:7: error: call to '__throw_length_error' is ambiguous
Those errors aren't on any of my systems, and those are the ones your build stumbles on (prior to this there are just warnings). And as this is located inside your base system (and not from ports/packages): Check freebsd-version -kru - you should get three "13.2-RELEASE" lines, otherwise your upgrade to 13.2 went wrong…

And while FreeBSD 13.2 itself is fine: A clean jail shouldn't provide f.e. llvm14.0.5 - it should have 14.0.6 since nearly one year (and as you asked: the SeaMonkey ports wants llvm13, but picks up 14 in your case - shouldn't be a problem: llvm14 works, too (I've checked 14.0.6)). So the last I can say:

Your build environment is "out of sync". I would recommend re-installing all packages ( pkg upgrade -f; or if you're using ports via portmaster: portmaster -af). Also take sure your ports tree is up to date / from the same timestamp as your packages are (but as you're using latest this should always be the case); The easiest for an up to date ports tree is to use gitup: gitup ports. And check if you've got any ancient configurations in the optional file /etc/make.conf.

Your output file shows lines like:
Code:
/usr/include/c++/v1/vector:822:7: error: call to '__throw_length_error' is ambiguous
Those errors aren't on any of my systems, and those are the ones your build stumbles on (prior to this there are just warnings). And as this is located inside your base system (and not from ports/packages): Check freebsd-version -kru - you should get three "13.2-RELEASE" lines, otherwise your upgrade to 13.2 went wrong…

And while FreeBSD 13.2 itself is fine: A clean jail shouldn't provide f.e. llvm14.0.5 - it should have 14.0.6 since nearly one year (and as you asked: the SeaMonkey ports wants llvm13, but picks up 14 in your case - shouldn't be a problem: llvm14 works, too (I've checked 14.0.6)). So the last I can say:

Your build environment is "out of sync". I would recommend re-installing all packages ( pkg upgrade -f; or if you're using ports via portmaster: portmaster -af). Also take sure your ports tree is up to date / from the same timestamp as your packages are (but as you're using latest this should always be the case); The easiest for an up to date ports tree is to use gitup: gitup ports. And check if you've got any ancient configurations in the optional file /etc/make.conf.
Thanks for the help :D

I've done everything you suggested. I even reinstalled freeBSD from scratch and attempted to build on a fresh system with defaults only installing what is needed to build.

SeaMonkey simply will not build on my system (13.2).

All packages are in sync.

Which version of RUST are you using?

I suspect this is an issue with the current versions of rust. Or it will not build on 13.2.

It simply will not build.

The problem is NOT on my end.

Thanks for the help :D

I've done everything you suggested. I even reinstalled freeBSD from scratch and attempted to build on a fresh system with defaults only installing what is needed to build.

SeaMonkey simply will not build on my system (13.2).

All packages are in sync.

Which version of RUST are you using?

I suspect this is an issue with the current versions of rust. Or it will not build on 13.2.

It simply will not build.

The problem is NOT on my end.
Hello. I'm also using FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE and encountered this error while compiling SeaMonkey 2.53.16, and successfully solved it.
After encountering the error, I entered /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.53.16/memory/mozalloc and modified throw_gcc.h.
I have attached my modified version of it and the original version. Note that I added the '.txt' suffix as I couldn't attach them in their original names. I got the fix from here : https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=262598

Attachments

• throw_gcc.h.orig.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 45
  • throw_gcc.h.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 46
Hello. I'm also using FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE and encountered this error while compiling SeaMonkey 2.53.16, and successfully solved it.
After encountering the error, I entered /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.53.16/memory/mozalloc and modified throw_gcc.h.
I have attached my modified version of it and the original version. Note that I added the '.txt' suffix as I couldn't attach them in their original names. I got the fix from here : https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=262598
THANKS! :D
Ironically I was just looking at that bug report and concluded it was a libc++ error.

EDIT: It built at last! 😀
Thanks everyone

After many, many tests today I can say: I don't need that patch in my jails, but on a new bhyve machine I can confirm the problem - same setup, and even used the method of installing a brandnew jail via a install iso-disc to get the same environment as the bhyve machine. Done really a lot of FreeBSD installations today to find a difference… My work on that topic will continue - now I need to do tests with this patch on my machines that didn't needed them so far, but: not today. Powerdown.
HexagonWin: Thanks for finding this :)

After many, many tests today I can say: I don't need that patch in my jails, but on a new bhyve machine I can confirm the problem - same setup, and even used the method of installing a brandnew jail via a install iso-disc to get the same environment as the bhyve machine. Done really a lot of FreeBSD installations today to find a difference… My work on that topic will continue - now I need to do tests with this patch on my machines that didn't needed them so far, but: not today. Powerdown.
HexagonWin: Thanks for finding this :)
Thank you for all of your hard work to keep this classic app alive! 😀

I had not noticed the binary packages. Very nice touch. I prefer the port but I can see the utility.

It is amazing how broken the web is for me and I am only one version behind.
Crazy web developers these days....

Can anybody help me with the about:config setting to get rid of Cookie Banner 's as found when you first enter a site.

I reloaded SeaMonkey and can't find this setting I used anywhere.

Don't worry. I am blaming everybody in Europe for this current SeaMonkey problem.
Does the GDPR make you feel less exploited?

Back