Xorg and KDE does not work on FreeBSD 13, but GhostBSD works. So, what are the relevant config files?

I'm trying to get KDE up and running on FreeBSD 13 on a laptop PC.
I could not even configure Xorg to run and it seems like the hardware cannot be recognized.

So, I downloaded GhostBSD (both the default MATE and Xfce versions) and it works out of the box. I am now trying to figure out what are the relavant configuration files to look into. (There don't seem even to be a xorg.conf file present.)

What config files should I be looking into? I want to find out exactly what makes it work on GhostBSD so it can be a referance to get a my installation of FreeBSD 13 to work.

Thanks!

By default SDDM logs into plasma-wayland session Wich is currently broken.
Try to run startplasma-x11 from a TTY session an check the messages

I managed to get X to show up, but it has these problems:

1) if I launch into the barebones X environment, it takes more that 2 minutes.

2) if I launch into KDE, it takes more than 2 minutes and it only shows a blank black screen with only a working (functional) mouse pointer (ie no windows, no menus).

What should I be looking into?

I think a little more information about the hardware (to make sure you have the correct video driver loaded) would help.
As for KDE, I'll defer to others that use it; I don't so have no input on why it works or not.

I think a little more information about the hardware (to make sure you have the correct video driver loaded) would help.
As for KDE, I'll defer to others that use it; I don't so have no input on why it works or not.

Hardware (from pciconf):
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device ='Iris Xe Graphics"
class = display
subclass = VGA

I have all these packages installed:

I also tried these:

1. As "root" and another user "user1" part of "video" group
    Create a new "user1", set it to "video" group, and then launched KDE from it.
    Launched KDE from root.
    Both gives the same result

2. "kern.vty=vt"
    I added "kern.vty=vt" and then removed it to "/boot/loader.con" because it made no difference.

3. .conf files
    In the location, "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d", I added and removed (tested and it made no difference whether these files are present):

--- driver-intel.conf ---
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "intel"
    EndSection

--- screen-resolution.conf ---
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

--- monitor0-freq.conf ---
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    HorizSync 30-83
    VertRefresh 50-76
    EndSection

Begin by undoing manual changes relating to X.Org.

The kern.vty setting in /boot/loader.conf might be non-essential; not relevant to the black screen (bear in mind, you can get your 'barebones' X environment).

Then see the Quick start, which comprises:
  1. Graphics first
  2. KDE and the rest.
Allow SDDM to start Plasma.

Do you get the SDDM invitation to log in? Or does a persistent blackout occur before SDDM presents itself?

What output do you get from the following command?

grep kld_list /etc/rc.conf

Begin by undoing manual changes relating to X.Org.

The kern.vty setting in /boot/loader.conf might be non-essential; not relevant to the black screen (bear in mind, you can get your 'barebones' X environment).

Then see the Quick start, which comprises:
  1. Graphics first
  2. KDE and the rest.
Allow SDDM to start Plasma.

Do you get the SDDM invitation to log in? Or does a persistent blackout occur before SDDM presents itself?

What output do you get from the following command?

grep kld_list /etc/rc.conf

Yes, I can get 'barebones" X environment to start, but after a long wait of 2 minutes+.

I'm not using SDDM to start, but rather "startx" with "exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11" in ".xinitrc". Maybe I should give SDDM a try...

I tried both:
"i915kms" and "/boot/modules/"i915kms" ... and they produced the same result.

1) if I launch into the barebones X environment, it takes more that 2 minutes.
You perhaps don't have your hostname in /etc/hosts.

This can cause it to stall a while whilst resolving (Xorg is a network application).
I can't find this step detailed in the handbook but it generally solves that for me.

You perhaps don't have your hostname in /etc/hosts.

This can cause it to stall a while whilst resolving (Xorg is a network application).
I can't find this step detailed in the handbook but it generally solves that for me.
Oh, Xorg requires network connection?! I'm having trouble with my wireless card and the Ethernet card is not connected. However, a ping to 127.0.0.1 does work. So, is this "network" enough for Xorg to work... ? I'm continuing ...

Oh, Xorg requires network connection?! I'm having trouble with my wireless card and the Ethernet card is not connected. However, a ping to 127.0.0.1 does work. So, is this "network" enough for Xorg to work... ? I'm continuing ...
Don't worry about physical hardware. You already have an inbuilt loopback device set up after install. However it still needs to be able to resolve (even if using UNIX domain sockets rather than TCP).

If you ping localhost or your PC name (you can run the hostname command to find it out) they should both work.

Don't worry about physical hardware. You already have an inbuilt loopback device set up after install. However it still needs to be able to resolve (even if using UNIX domain sockets rather than TCP).

If you ping localhost or your PC name (you can run the hostname command to find it out) they should both work.
ping to "localhost" works as well.
Running "hostname" shows the machine name initally set when installing.

Try drm alone.

These commands, to write lines to the file:

sysrc kld_list="drm"

sysrc sddm_enable="YES"

Then restart the system.
"drm" works as well. It behaves just like "i915kms".
I added sddm and it indeed brought up the login screen. However, clicking on anything, like changing the desktop session takes many seconds to respond. After logging it, it takes about 2 mins+ and then it goes to the blank screen (just like previously).

It's working okay for me on an old laptop, but I have only a simple VGA style monitor. I've never had much luck at all using the radeon graphics on my other laptops. I made no custom changes whatsoever to /boot/loader.conf or /etc/fstab this time around. I have my host name in /etc/hosts and installed xorg, kde, and lightdm instead of sddm. I have:
Code:
        sysrc dbus_enable="YES"
        sysrc hald_enable="YES"
        sysrc lightdm_enable="YES"
... and my $HOME/.xinitrc contains
Code:
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startplasma-x11
If all else fails, you might try disabling your display manager and launching it from a virtual terminal using startx. This lets you see a lot of feedback messages by switching back to your virtual terminal screen.

Still having no luck…
I launched into barebones X environment (took 2 mins+), then executed “startplasma-x11”. It got stucked at “kdeinit5: preparing to launch ‘/usr/local/lib/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so’- it stops here and the command does not even exit.

There are 2 problems: barebones X taking over 2 mins to start, and after the visual desktop appears, it takes another 30 secs for mouse pointer to respond to moving/clicking on the windows. Second, KDE (also just tried GNOME as well) can’t start.

I think it is a hardware config problem.

Are you executing startplasma-x11 directly from the command prompt? It's recommended that we should, at minimum, put the "exec startplasma-x11" command in $HOME/.xinitrc and then execute startx instead. Good luck with it.

Edited to add: I would also enable dbus and hald to get started. You can always back them out later after you have the thing up and running.

Are you executing startplasma-x11 directly from the command prompt? It's recommended that we should, at minimum, put the "exec startplasma-x11" command in $HOME/.xinitrc and then execute startx instead. Good luck with it.

Edited to add: I would also enable dbus and hald to get started. You can always back them out later after you have the thing up and running.
I tried all of that. I even enabled hald and dbus. I tried “root” and a user added to “video” group.

Back