Which is your desktop environment?

• at work : FreeBSD 8.4-STABLE with twm (remotely accessed from home via VNC)
  • at home: FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE with twm
  • on your mobile phone: Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 (Nokia 6110 Navigator)
Why twm, it doesn't even have workspaces.

Why twm, it doesn't even have workspaces.

I started with Mark Williams Coherent Unix in the early 1990s and it had twm. When I moved to FreeBSD 2.0.5 in 1995 Xfree86 defaulted to twm and I was happy. I'm still happy :) twm is nice and lightweight (very few dependencies), very snappy and infinitely customisable.

That said, when I was running Solaris on my work machine at a previous employer, I quite liked CDE which did have workspaces, but it was on the heavyweight and sluggish side of the equation and back in those days my monitor was just 14" whereas today it's 24" and can fit everything I do on one screen easily.

1. FreeBSD (RELEASE); Xmonad
2. FreeBSD (STABLE); Xmonad
3. Android L (just upgraded from my old CM11 M12)

I started with Mark Williams Coherent Unix in the early 1990s and it had twm. When I moved to FreeBSD 2.0.5 in 1995 Xfree86 defaulted to twm and I was happy. I'm still happy :) twm is nice and lightweight (very few dependencies), very snappy and infinitely customisable.

That said, when I was running Solaris on my work machine at a previous employer, I quite liked CDE which did have workspaces, but it was on the heavyweight and sluggish side of the equation and back in those days my monitor was just 14" whereas today it's 24" and can fit everything I do on one screen easily.
Interesting. I get claustrophobia, sort of, when I do not have workspaces, and I cannot imagine being productive without them.

• Windows 7 (not my choice)
  • FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE (GNOME3, XFCE4, and KDE4 desktops running) (Also have non-GUI machines running as NAS appliances)
  • Blackberry (not my choice, as far as I am concerned its a phone, nothing more. :( )

- Win7 + RHEL 5x
- Xubuntu 15.04 set up to look exactly like Gnome 2.x
- Cyanogenmod 12.1, although I would prefer BlackBerry 10 if they ever release Dual SIMs

At work - FreeBSD 10.1 and Debian ->all using Mate
At home - FreeBSD 10.1, FreeBSD 11, HardenedBSD, Debian Running Mate -> and a Windows box or two floating around.
On your mobile phone - none, I hate cell phones lol...

Main laptop is FreeBSD 11.0-Current with MATE plus a few Sun Java Desktop System enhancements (I'm working on bringing Time Slider to it at some point).
Phone is some sort of Android

2 laptops one with FreeBSD 10.1 as a DLNA/FTP server and general workhorse (FVWM2 but tinkering with IceWM atm) and the other a gaming laptop with Windows 7 running a Linux Mint VM 24/7 - I won't be touching the free Windows 10 upgrade with a barge pole, large upgrades make me very nervous and once that laptop gives up the ghost I shall never use Windows again (the only reason it is still there is because of the hopeless NVidia Optimus chipset)

• work/home desktop: FreeBSD 10-STABLE, XFCE
  • work laptop: Mint (temporarily, previously I used Fedora; in the process of switching to FreeBSD 10-STABLE)
  • phone/tablet: Android, but considering CyanogenMod (if I ever find the time to switch)

FreeBSD 10.2 + Awesome on Thinkpad T420
FreeBSD 10.2 with no gui on Fujitsu Primergy TX100S1
Debian Wheezy with no gui on Dell Precision T3600
Blackberry OS 10.3.2 (QNX) on Blackberry Classic Q20

Work : FreeBSD 10.2 + Mate
Home: FreebSD 10.2 + Mate & JWM, Various PC's with OS/2, Solaris,Risc OS, Amigas, 8-Bits etc. (Too many perhaps)
Phone: 'Dumb Phone' (Don't want a Smart Phone)

• Windows 10
  • Freebsd 11, Windowmaker
  • Android (Google phone)
No choice on the work PC so I don't get to enjoy computing until I get home ;). Amazes me my employer spends the money they do on PCs and Windows when they could use an Opensource alternative. There are some applications where we HAVE to use Windows but we could minimize that and run VMs if we need to.

Last edited:
Work: Windows 7 - no choice, but I have a spare blade running FreeBSD 10.3 so I can regain some sanity midway through the day ;)
Home: 2011 iMac, OS 10.11 + Thinkpad T440 FreeBSD 11-BETA4 with Xfce
Phone: iOS 9

On my desktop (FreeBSD 11) and notebook (Arch) I use i3. Nothing beats i3wm for me. It's simple, easy to use and also highly portable.

I don't have a phone and work? Well if recompiling packages ain't enough work...

Work: Windows 7 + FreeBSD 10.3 LXDE (VMWare)
Home: FreeBSD 10.3 Lumina, KDE, Enlightnement
Blackberry OS 10.3.2 (QNX) on Blackberry Q10

Work/Home (what's the difference again? :p): FreeBSD 11.0-RC1 amd64, WindowMaker
Phone: Samsung Galaxy J3
Recently I took a liking to minimal 1-config-only window managers, hence I'm tentatively exploring herbstluftwm, i3wm and xmonad. So far WindowMaker is still my favorite!

Work: FreeBSD + 11.0 ZFS + i3wm (Lenovo X220 Laptop)
Home: FreeBSD + 11.0 ZFS +i3wm + xfce4 + VirtualBox w/ Win10 Pro (When Needed)
Intel NUC: FreeBSD 11.0 ZFS + Duplicity + s3cmd (AmazonS3 Backups)

Back