Which is your desktop environment?

Following the discussion in this thread I decided to start a new one - more of a survey than a discussion. The question is:

Which desktop environment do you use on a day-by-day basis?
  • at work
  • at home
  • on your mobile phone
Let me start first:
  • OS X
  • OS X
  • iOS

Of course I have several FreeBSD machines. But they are either servers, testing rigs or installations for customers. So if I count the hours in front of the screen I see a MacBook Air most of the time.

P.S. Please note, there are 3 polls related to this thread in the same category - 'Other Window Managers'. You are strongly encouraged to give your vote there :)

• FreeBSD 9-STABLE / Stumpwm (generic desktop)
  • FreeBSD 9-STABLE / Stumpwm (Lenovo X220)
  • Android (HTC Raider)

The Raider is a nice phone, but unfortunately not much of a target for developers of OS alternatives such Cyanogenmod or Replicant.

• OpenBSD 5.3 / dwm + scripts (due to better OpenGL support)
  • FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE / dwm + loads of scripts to do things like write/blank CD, WiFi.
  • I don't like tablets / consumerphones.

• FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p7 / Blackbox
  • FreeBSD 9-STABLE / FVWM2 (configured to look like 4Dwm and a little Indigo Magic)
  • It's a Samsung(*), so probably Android (but I don't care, it's a phone).
Ad (*): One of those robust outdoor models with normal keys, I loathe that touchscreen/swipe stuff.

• Windows XP; Windows 7; Mac OS X; FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE, KDE
  • Mac OS X; FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE, KDE
  • HTC One, Android 4.3

• Windows 7 primarily (I am "The" Script Kiddy (at work) so really this should be 'full screen DOS/Cygwin Xterm' but close enough.)
  • Windows 7 primarily, FreeBSD 9.2 and Slackware 14 (both with OpenBox) via VirtualBox
  • Android 2.3 (HTC Glacier)
If not for Steam and SWTOR, b) would be FreeBSD with Slackware out of VirtualBox which is the way it was before SWTOR became free to play :)

• Windows 7. My home is my work and work is my home, or something ;) (Self employed, not big enough yet to run a private office.)
  • Windows Phone 7.5.

• Windows 7. As a postgraduate, my lab offers me a new computer to do some research work. I choose to install Windows rather than FreeBSD just because of MatLab and some other FreeBSD-unfriendly scientific applications :).
  • FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE, compiled from source.
  • Motorola Motoluxe XT615, which has Android 2.3 installed.

1. FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE, MATE-desktop
  2. FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p7, dwm (ASUS Eee PC 1018P)
  3. Android 4.3.1

• FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p7 / i3 (HP EliteBook 8560w)
  • same laptop
  • Android 4.1.2 (Samsung Galaxy GT I9080L)

1. Windows 7.
  2. FreeBSD 9.2-RELENG, Fluxbox, with Nimbus theme. FreeNAS 9.x server and a m0noWall firewall.
  3. I don't like smartphones or tablets much either.
I'm going to deploy OpenBSD on something soon too.

• (work) iOS (iPad and iPhone. Yes, I use them for work.)
  • (home) Windows 7, FreeBSD 10-CURRENT with Xfce4
  • (mobile) Android 4.1

• Windows 7 (FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE 32 & 64 bit both with KDE and Xfce4 in a VM) + FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE 64 bit (server)
  • See a.
  • cellphone (NOKIA C2-05)

• Windows 8.1 and a VM running OpenSuSE 10.1 with it's same-as-historic KDE version
  • FreeBSD 10-STABLE with KDE 4.11.2
  • I think it uses Symbian OS. I'm not sure though.

kpedersen said:
[*]OpenBSD 4.3 / dwm + scripts (due to better OpenGL support)
Dude, that is a more than five years old system :\ There are so many new things that have happened in the past five years.

VERY interesting results! I come to the conclusions that:
  • There is no one leading desktop environment under FreeBSD (or Linux). I thought either GNOME 2 or KDE will make the score here, but nope!
  • Mobility seems no issue for many posters as the phones are often ignored or underestimated.
  • iOS is almost completely missing, contrary to the official statistics that every fourth person (in CH Switzerland every second) has an iPhone.
  • The same is true for OS X, despite being the best among commercial DEs.
I hope people will keep posting here so we get a better understanding of each other's computational needs and wishes.

Oko said:
Dude, that is a more than five years old system :\ There are so many new things that have happened in the past five years.

Haha, yes. Of course I meant 5.3. I will fix my post.

vanessa said:
There is no one leading desktop environment under FreeBSD (or Linux). I thought either GNOME 2 or KDE will make the score here, but nope!
I think KDE rapidly started being mentioned less on the FreeBSD forums (and pretty much anywhere) as soon as KDE 4 came out. KDE is now only starting to make a comeback in open-source communities in general because GNOME 3 is now equally disliked. As for GNOME 2, I think it just needs a little more love to fix some issues before it becomes nice to use again. Unfortunately because of GNOME 3, I don't think this will ever happen now :/

Here is a thread on my experiences with GNOME 2, not too long ago.

Nowadays I suggest only using a DE/WM that you are capable of maintaining yourself so when Poettering (or upstream) breaks it, you can keep on with the correct version.

Back