Which games could I play in this platform?

1. https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...-driver-crashes-in-vk_icdgetinstanceprocaddr/
2. https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2017-August/019767.html
Code:
% readelf --syms /usr/local/lib/libGL-NVIDIA.so | grep vk_
% readelf --syms /compat/linux/usr/lib/libGL.so.390.25 | grep vk_
   538: 00000000000a0930    48 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT    8 vk_icdNegotiateLoaderICDInterfaceVersion
   708: 00000000000a09c0    93 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT    8 vk_icdGetInstanceProcAddr
  1699: 00000000000a0960    93 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT    8 vk_icdGetPhysicalDeviceProcAddr

That would be illegal assuming you care about that stuff.
Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding: I did not intend to encourage piracy.

I meant downloading from sites which are legit.
Like France-based https://www.myabandonware.com/, which offers >14500 classic games to download for free. (I downloaded some classics from there myself over the years.)

Many of these sites are located in countries that do actually care for copyright laws, and do respect when some copyright holder wants games to be removed from free downloading.
That is the reason why I myself saw games from the site I mentioned being removed from free downloading, after their rights were sold/transferred to other people/companies, which requested the site maintainers to remove them from free downloading.

Again: I do *not* recommend to download from warez/piracy sites.
Actually I strongly recommend against doing so.
Think of viruses etc. You just do not want such...
So I'd strongly advise to make sure the site from where you download is from a country which respects copyright laws, which operators are not anonymous and probably don't offer tainted downloads.

Now that takes me back a few years. That game was pretty awesome, I especially enjoyed the awesome sceneries and the acting was also very much on-par. The voice actors really managed to put in a good dose emotion in there.
I like it a lot, well, did back then. Will see this evening about that... The market for used games is interesting for games before the DRM infestation. Always worth a try.

Edit: no luck with wine so far, but the abandonware site has a copy. So feel free to test it yourself.

I used to play Quake III (there is a native FreeBSD port).
Also, check out iortcw (Return to Castle Wolfenstein). Again there is a native FreeBSD port.
If I recall correctly you do need the original games to play those. You install only the engines, not the full game. That said, both ran perfect and were great fun :) Just like the good ol' Quake (the first one!), various incarnations of the original Quake engine are also in the ports tree. Just for fun I recently tried to get a Quakeworld server up and running. I've tried several that were in the ports collection but couldn't get any of them to work, unfortunately.

If I recall correctly you do need the original games to play those. You install only the engines, not the full game.
Yes, you are right. I cannot recall exactly but you need to copy the game .pk3 files (basically glorified .zip files containing game assets) into either the ~/.q3a folder or /usr/local/share/q3a. I am glad you got them working, its nice to know that these golden oldies are still up and working on FreeBSD!.

Just for fun I recently tried to get a Quakeworld server up and running. I've tried several that were in the ports collection but couldn't get any of them to work, unfortunately.
Heh, for multi-player over a LAN it is one of my favourites. I actually also couldn't get the QuakeWorld running as it was. I think it is the build system that is just a massive faff to be honest. What I suggest instead is the so called "modern" QuakeWorld (ezquake) which we do also have in the ports collection. I had more success with that out of the box.
That said, I am using the original QuakeWorld client as a testbed for my PhD and "OpenGL | Distributed". If you do have your mind set on using the original, I might be able to dig out a bunch of patches that I used to get it working before I replaced the OpenGL implementation.

I actually also couldn't get the QuakeWorld running as it was. I think it is the build system that is just a massive faff to be honest.
What I suggest instead is the so called "modern" QuakeWorld (ezquake) which we do also have in the ports collection. I had more success with that out of the box.
Admittedly the clients I haven't tried, was really looking to run my own server, custom maps and all. I didn't forget about games/ezquake, that used to be my favorite client. I'm not hellbent on the originals. I just wanted a server to play on.

God...such amount of messages.
Well, a time ago, i tried to run Xonotic on Debian.
And, even when i was success installing quake, there were the problem about that i can't find the launcher.
Sorry if i miss something, because i didn't read all the responses.
But, i will try to install some of the games that you all had mentioned.
Thanks you all!!!

I have a question...do you think that BSD (FBSD) could be a great platform also for gaming? I know that now exists OrbitOS, but that topic isn't about the user who download and install FreeBSD. The creation of that kinda OS it's relative the big companies that can even create an OS if they need it.
I asked about the user of FBSD and the community, not the companies that can get access and create a system based on BSD.
I know that if you are a common user, or if you do a search in google, FBSD doesn't appears like to be the predilect system for gaming. But yes for things like servers, programming. That kind of things.

-Snake-
I am trying first with your suggestion. Because as i said, i installed it a few time ago on Debian.
In Debian it ran terrible. I hope that this time runs fine.
Edit: As you said, with
Code:
 pkg
Because with
Code:
 make
... i don't know why, but the most times, it fails.
Edit2:Well...i *almost* can play it. Runs too much slow, so i am trying to find why.

-Snake-
"[...]And you don't you seem to understand[...]"
Great anime man. Strange. Crazy. Old, but fine.

do you think that BSD (FreeBSD) could be a great platform also for gaming?
Sure, why not? All you need are good graphics and drivers and you're set to go.
I know that if you are a common user, or if you do a search in google, FreeBSD doesn't appears like to be the predilect system for gaming.
Neither are Linux or MacOS, but that doesn't stop people from playing games on them. If I look at my Steam collection most of the games I own are Windows only. Only a handful can be played on Linux and even less on MacOS. The number of games you can play on Linux has increased a lot over the years but that's mostly due to SteamOS.

Yep, Orbis OS is based on FreeBSD.

The Sony SDK compilers are clang based (although the 3rd party offering from CodePlay are often used instead. I think they are also clang based).
Unlike the PS3 and PS2; with the PS4 being based on FreeBSD, you get a much nicer environment to work with. Much POSIX functionality is there including BSD Sockets (though you are advised to use a specific API wrapper provided by Sony), and Virtual memory (mmap, mprotect). It feels more like developing for a PC than an embedded system. You still have to cross-compile though which isn't very satisfying. What is worse is that the tools are all geared towards Visual Studio which I find is a terrible piece of software. For some reason the "game industry" is completely obsessed with this piece of crap. Probably a contributing factor as to why the games industry often churns out terrible code.

What it didn't have (or at least i couldn't find how) was direct access to the standard file system (everything is sandboxed almost like Android). And unfortunately most importantly, OpenGL was not usable. Instead the the graphics API is GNM or GNMX. The latter was OK to use, but is completely platform specific, including the shader language (PSSL). This means that it felt like a *massive* waste of time learning because it will all be worthless in 4 years when the PS4 is replaced :(.
There is a wrapper that makes things appear like OpenGL 3 or DirectX 10 (to aid porting). I didn't look into it in much detail though. I might give it a shot when I have a weekend free.

kpedersen
It is right that the license of FreeBSD it's more permissive than the license of Linux?
You see...i found a blog in which a blogger tried to make an objective comparison between Linux and FreeBSD about this topic. My point it's that, in this blog, there were some users arguing about the license of creation, distribution, etc., of both OS when you want to use its platform for create software.

It is right that the license of FreeBSD it's more permissive than the license of Linux?
It is. The FreeBSD license allows anyone to take the code, modify it and produce a product from it without being forced to release that code or the changes.

It doesn't really relate to this thread (just noticed that neither did my last post TBH haha), but the age long argument is that a slightly more restrictive license (i.e GPL) is better than a permissive one (i.e BSD) because through some of the restrictions enforced by something like the GPL, it prevents the first party from reducing the number of freedoms passed down to a third party. Whereas a fully permissive one such as BSD / MIT allows the first party to do anything they want, including closing the source of future versions.

But in terms of running the OS (and playing games on it), it has exactly zero impact on us. Even if the license was non-free but still allowed source code access (i.e Unreal Engine 4), it still wouldn't affect me at all. Mostly because I am not smart enough to hack at the FreeBSD kernel and make a new product out of it worthwhile of selling to consumers ;)

However, Sony did and something like Orbis OS would in theory be difficult to do with Linux due to licensing. However Android has proven otherwise. There are a lot of locked down Android devices where user freedom is restricted by paywalls. Quite how they did this, I leave to the lawyers :/

Then, what if i want to create a program using this system?

You see, a time ago, in another thread in this forum, i was a little scared about an advice that one user said me. That was about re-compilating a program which is privative or commercial software.

Anyways, my point it's: if i want to make a program which can make the same functions that this program, but open-source, i am don't making anything illegal, right? Because in that case, i just created a software which isn't based on commercial code.

The program it's about simulating circuits. But not electronics nor even electronics circuits. It will be for pneumatic-circuits, and maybe hidraulic circuits.

Which language recommends you to me, at least for make a prototype?

-Snake-
I am trying first with your suggestion. Because as i said, i installed it a few time ago on Debian.
In Debian it ran terrible. I hope that this time runs fine.
Edit: As you said, with
Code:
 pkg
Because with
Code:
 make
... i don't know why, but the most times, it fails.
Edit2:Well...i *almost* can play it. Runs too much slow, so i am trying to find why.

What is your hardware? Maybe you can not move the game because of that! try to download graphics from the configuration.

What is your hardware? Maybe you can not move the game because of that! try to download graphics from the configuration.
Ahhh...i think i have i386...but, i can run OS's of x64 with no problems...so, still, i don't have very clear what hardware i have.
The info that i have by the output of commands it's:
Code:
root@hostfreebsd:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD hostfreebsd 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:05:10 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
Code:
root@hostfreebsd:~ # freebsd-version
11.1-RELEASE-p6
And how can i download the grafics for configuration?
Sorry. About this, i know nothing DX

Ahhh...i think i have i386...but, i can run OS's of x64 with no problems...so, still, i don't have very clear what hardware i have.
The info that i have by the output of commands it's:
Code:
root@hostfreebsd:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD hostfreebsd 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:05:10 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
Code:
root@hostfreebsd:~ # freebsd-version
11.1-RELEASE-p6
And how can i download the grafics for configuration?
Sorry. About this, i know nothing DX

In xonotic you can change the graphic settings so that it runs better, within graphic settings.

Back