Which games could I play in this platform?

In xonotic you can change the graphic settings so that it runs better, within graphic settings.
Good News: I'm back to the game! I reinstalled ALL the system from zero, and now works fine (like it should be).
Bad news: That game runs EXTREMELY low. How can I change the graphics for prevent it?
Thanks again and read you later!;)

Here we go, have fun! : https://imgur.com/a/KOTJS

The list is not complete; there are also NeverWinter Nights, ported through Linux compat layer, Tomb Raider I-V running on OpenTomb (the latest commit on github brought a png-related bug on certain GPUs, which is affecting also me, otherwise I would have submitted a OpenTomb screenshot too), Heroes of Might and Magic III.

It's been 5 years now since I started gaming on FreeBSD, and I have to say I'm very satisfied, and performance is commendable

I tend not to rely on wine any more (I don't buy new games), but I used it successfully in the past (Max Payne, Far Cry, Age of Empires II, Rome: Total War, Deus Ex, Half Life).

Despite I haven't used any of those yet (except DOSBox), even bacause I do not own any console or console games, various consoles' emulators are available on FreeBSD and several users reported them working: RPCS3 (PS3), Dolphin (Nintendo Wii), Citra (3DS), PPSSPP (PSP), Vice (Commodore64) and others.

Xash3D (Half life Client) has been successfully compiled on Open/FreeBSD buy a couple of users.

Great! Did I miss nethack or is it really absent? But I need to dig out my morrowind CD, right after playing drakan (so, maybe in 2025). ;) :beer:

Sensucht94
Sorry for ask this, but what desktop are you using now?
Great games! I'll try with "0ad" and "SuperTux"

Sensucht94
Sorry for ask this, but what desktop are you using now?
Great games! I'll try with "0ad" and "SuperTux"

Most of them,even the haevier ones, used to work well on a 2009 Pentium, 4Gb, with a mid-market ATI Radeon GPU.

Recently I moved FreeBSD on my new desktop: Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb, Intel Core i5 7600, 8Gb RAM DDR4, 128 GB SSD M.2 (SATA), AS-Rock H270 Pro

But I need to dig out my morrowind CD, right after playing drakan (so, maybe in 2025). ;) :beer:
I don't if this may be of any interest for you, but in the doubt I'll tell it, wouldn't harm: I own a Morrowind CD too, but it's the very first release, without the DLCs and the patch: I wanted to try Tribunal and Blood mon on OpenMW, so decided to look for a sale on GOG, and, with a certain dose of luck, I found it at 8$.

Sensucht94 So, if I understand correctly, you can run the most of desktops that come with this OS? Like KDE, Gnome, Xfce...
Or I'm wrong in concepts. I don't know if "desktop" it's the same that "desktop environment". I tried to mean the last.
Sorry if I make you confused.

Yes, you can use GNOME, Fluxbox...
I did play " Oad" in Fluxbox.
But I couldn't. Look, when I tried to run it like root, this is what it says:
Code:
 WARNING: Attempted to run the game with root permission!
This is not allowed because it can alter home directory 
permissions and opens your system to vulnerabilities.   
(You received this message because you were either      
  logged in as root or used e.g. the 'sudo' command.)
I only can run it if i logged in with another account, which isn't root. But the thing it's that my desktop environment (KDE), it is not installed on it. Only Xorg is in that account.
So the final question comes to be: what desktop environment do you recommend that you install in that other account? Because I have none in the other account.

Sensucht94 So, if I understand correctly, you can run the most of desktops that come with this OS? Like KDE, Gnome, Xfce...
Or I'm wrong in concepts. I don't know if "desktop" it's the same that "desktop environment". I tried to mean the last.
Sorry if I make you confused.

Oh, I see ahahah. yes, 'desktop computer', or simply 'desktop'; actually means a static personal computer meant for 'desktop usage', as opposed to 'workstation' and Server. So basically, when you say 'desktop', it's a PC which isn't a laptop.

DE, (ex. GNOME, Xfce, Cinnamon, Lumina, CDE, KDE), is instead a full and complete GUI environment, which in Unix-like systems runs on top of a Windowing system, in particular a X implementation (namely Xorg...XQuartz on macOS, Mir as Canonical's alternative for Ubuntu 18.04, rio on Plan9/9front, Wayland on Fedora), and iusually includes its own Window Manager (= WM), a composite manager, a bar/panel, a settings daemon, a file manager, a terminal and some more stuff.

Many user just like to install a standalone Window manager, often lighter than those which come with DEs, and only add few more things, in order to optimize performance (particularly on older hardware). Some others also like to take a WM, then add a panel, composite manager, a popup notification manager, a system tray, a wallpaper handler, a launcher, their preferred apps, etc.. so as to get a more customized desktop experience in return. Moreover, many window manager allow tiling windows: they are studied to be mostly managed by keyboard bindings and to optimize available display space; those are usually the preferred ones by developers and power users. Some represent a hybrid compromise between tiling+keyboard-input and floating/stacking + mouse,point&click input, as they allow both approaches: those ones are usually also the haeviest WMs (i3-gaps, awesome). As you should have guessed DEs all typically use a stacking/floating windows + point&click interface setup: this is usually more user-friendly and also similar to Windows'. Personally I like lightweight stacking WMs

Currently running FLWM, quite the uncommon and niche one, which is Tiny Core Linux' default. Rxvt-Unicode+perl extensions is my terminal, xosview, xclock and dmenu (launcher) are start-up apps. Using xbindkeys to handle shortcuts, and hsetroot to set the wallpaper

Different DEs/WMs do not affect programs, games etc..they're just comfortable and friendly user frontends for the Xorg instance running underneath, which in turns runs on top of your system. The different OS, the hardware specs, the available Xorg drivers are the factor which influence games availability.

Depending on your hardware though, performance might be negatively affected by heavier DEs (GNOME3 and KDE4/5) as they eat up a lot of RAM. On powerful hardware difference should pass mostly unnoticed

Sensucht94 Yep, I'm using KDE. I know that everything comes with a price: it looks good but i didn't know how much space consume.
The same for Gnome, another that I installed. But this one, I think I will uninstall it.
Do you know some desktop environment that it's light of weight and faster? Because "0ad" don't let me run it as root. I have another account which isn't root, but this one only has Xorg. No DE.

Sensucht94 Yep, I'm using KDE. I know that everything comes with a price: it looks good but i didn't know how much space consume.

If you have 4Gb or more RAM and at least a 2core CPU you shouldn't worry ;)

Do you know some desktop environment that it's light of weight and faster?

Lumina is designed to run on FreeBSD and is my favourite (don't try it outside of FreeBSD,like OpenBSD or Linux, respective community ports are still a mess there),but it's very 'different' from common DEs abd definitely 'not for everyone'. LXDE, LXQt are other very lightweight ones. XFCE4 and MATE are somehow in the middle, still significantly more lightweight than GNOME3 and KDE4/5. Cinnamon is quite heavy.

Fuxbox, OpenBox, i3, Compiz, Gala and IceWM are user-friendly standalone WMs

Because "0ad" don't let me run it as root. I have another account which isn't root, but this one only has Xorg. No DE.

Chances are very close to 100% this has nothing to do with your DE, in light of what we said above. Might be some kind of polkit issue, or may be your user isn't part of 'video' group, and as a consequence, 0ad can't use 3D acceleration. If you didn't add your user to video group, then type:

sudo pw usermod myusername -G video

Then relogin

If you compiled the game from ports there might also be some unmet runtime dependency...by the way, what is this error you're getting? You should paste it here with the proper formatting

Final tip: try to avoid running GUI app as root at all. They can really mess your system this way (there's areason why 0ad wouldn't want to run as root). Simple example: you launch you file manager as root; a wrong click (delete instead of copy), and you've deleted a base system directory, making your OS practically unrecoverable and forcing you to reinstall it from scratch. When started by standard users, GUI apps are prevented from doing anything harmful and touching files outside your home

But I couldn't. Look, when I tried to run it like root, this is what it says:
Code:
 WARNING: Attempted to run the game with root permission!
This is not allowed because it can alter home directory
permissions and opens your system to vulnerabilities. 
(You received this message because you were either    
  logged in as root or used e.g. the 'sudo' command.)
I only can run it if i logged in with another account, which isn't root. But the thing it's that my desktop environment (KDE), it is not installed on it. Only Xorg is in that account.
So the final question comes to be: what desktop environment do you recommend that you install in that other account? Because I have none in the other account.
Xorg you should start as user. And as I wrote before I play "Oad' in Fluxbox.
In /home/user/.xinirc I have exec fluxbox.

BTW: Read FreeBSD Handbook and you will find how to install Xorg and DE/WM

Sensucht94 Thanks. Now I'll try with Lumina. See what happens.
Edit: I can't install anything. It's mandatory that I have root permissions. I read some methods on how to autorice a common user to use
Code:
 sudo
, but those were for other systems, not for FBSD.
Can you tell me one of they or the specific method to give permissions of use sudo to my another user?

Sensucht94
I'm mad. Call me a freak :p
I have ideas unbelievables.
What if I play some of this games on my channel of Y0uTube? Like a gameplay but in this system. I will try to install the majority of the games that you have posted images. Give me more games, I'll try to install it. If I succeed, i will upload a gameplay of it.
I get bored of watch gameplays on WIndows, even LInux. I'm not saying they're bad, but a little of variety never comes bad, right?

Now I'm trying to install Arx-Libertatis
Edit 1: It tells me that I need some files. Someone help me!!!
Here's the output:
Code:
Message from arx-libertatis-1.1.2_8:

==========================================================================

Arx Libertatis requires data files from either full version or a demo
of Arx Fatalis. Copy the following files and directories to
either /usr/local/share/arx or ~/.local/share/arx:

*.pak
  graph/
  misc/

See http://arx.parpg.net/Getting_the_game_data for the information on
getting the game data.

What does it means?

Hi, I think making sone videos would benefit and attract more users to the opensource-gaming community, so,if you have the time, why not? =P

Now I'm trying to install Arx-Libertatis
Edit 1: It tells me that I need some files. Someone help me!!!
Here's the output:
Code:
Message from arx-libertatis-1.1.2_8:

Arx Libertatis requires data files from either full version or a demo
of Arx Fatalis. Copy the following files and directories to
either /usr/local/share/arx or ~/.local/share/arx:

*.pak
  graph/
  misc/

See http://arx.parpg.net/Getting_the_game_data for the information on
getting the game data.

What does it means?

Arx-Libertatis is a free and oprnsource engine/client for Arx Fatalis, a paid and opensouce game. I'm afraid to tell you that you actually need to own a legal copy of the game and paste the specifide files in /usr/local/share/arx in order to play Arx-Fatalis ;)

Back