Which games could I play in this platform?

Thanks Sensucht94
I'll see if I can get a legal copy. If not, well, at least there's a lot of games which are non-paid and free-to-use

Sensucht94 I'm really glad to see that my crazy idea it's of your liking!!!
I'll need a few programs. You know, some for capture the screen, another for edit, and maybe another one extra.
Any suggestions?

I have never than this,but I guess using multimedia/ffmpeg
with -f x11grap, examples/scripts (even Linux' ones, usually easily adaptable) should be available online. There's also multimedia/recordmydesktop for a easier shot.

If you want a GUI frontend for ffmpeg screen grabbing, see this blog post I foun,using kdenlive on FreeBSD. It's definitely feasible, see also this youtube video from official TrueOS channel,running Skyrim and MassEffect on wine through emulators/playonbsd

PS: unfortunaly all good RPGs/adventure-games available (NeverWinter, Tomb Raider, Morrowind,Arx Fatalis) are paid: I've never seen a great interest for this kind of single-player games from Open Source community. However you may be interested in games/flare-game,which wasn't in my list,as many other available good pieces of software

As a FreeBSD gamer, at the moment, I'm on the road of making a compendium of screenshots of open source games and and engines running natively on FreeBSD (no wine, or emulators), just hold on a couple of hours and I'll post it :)

I didn't know Dune clone games/dunelegacy and Command and Conquer clones games/openra were in ports. I thought versions of those could only be played on an opensource desktop by using Dosbox. games/arx-libertatis looks like an interesting game.

PS: unfortunaly all good RPGs/adventure-games available (NeverWinter, Tomb Raider, Morrowind,Arx Fatalis) are paid: I've never seen a great interest for this kind of single-player games from Open Source community. However you may be interested in games/flare-game,which wasn't in my list,as many other available good pieces of software
Flight of the Amazon Queen, games/fotaq, is a great RPG. Beneath a Steel Sky, games/bass, is another, which is not that good: it's like an RPG version of Robocop for NES. I wish there were opensource fan games of King's Quest 5 and 6 for BSD's.

Sensucht94
Now
Code:
 make install
and
Code:
 pkg install
are busy with Wesnoth, and with Nexuiz.
Edit: If everything goes fine, in the next days I will be trying to install those games.

Remember that any game that you consider good, suggest me it and I'll see if I can play it. Not only for me, but for show in my channel a little of what can other systems that aren't Windows nor Linux can do.
For now, I'll only try to upload videos of the kind of gameplays. In a future, there may be something more related with the informatic side of this operating system. Something more technique.
Who knows...maybe in a few time, somebody develop a game for this specific platform. Like some indie.
Now I'm going to sleep. See you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yeah! Sorry if I told something what I shouldn't, but I'm really glad to tell you that finally I can install games/wesnoth
I'm staring with the tutorial, so in a few time, I'll see how to start gameplays and upload it to my YT as I promised.
Note that I haven't installed it using ports. I did it by using
Code:
 pkg install
but just in case that someone wants to know what game I'm speaking of.

Sensucht94 Do you know some program for accelerate the games? Like games/xonotic , or games/nexuiz
With these I have the trouble that they run very slow.
A user told me that I must change the configurations, but still the problem persists.

Well people, here is the gameplay pilot:
I'll need to fix the problem of the audio. I'm using simplescreenrecorder.

I like to play games/rocksndiamonds game which I did start to play o Atari 800-XL.
Hum...before I install it, I must ask you a few things:

1) It is free? I mean, I only need install it and play with the files downloaded? I won't even try to show a game that it's paid. Don't blame me, but I want to be sure that i don't need the data from the paid version.

2) There's no problem showing a gameplay of it? I'll explain you: maybe I ran a risk uploading this first video. I didn't contact to the creators/programmers of such game. I don't want a disgusting and infamous "strike" on my channel from the admins of YT.

3) What kind of game is it? It contains some things that may disturb some type of people, or the game contains bad scenes, some that isn't appropriate for the "family-friendly" content that YT wants right now. I don't know if you get what I mean.

Sensucht94 Do you know some program for accelerate the games? Like games/xonotic , or games/nexuiz
With these I have the trouble that they run very slow.
A user told me that I must change the configurations, but still the problem persists.

They do not have such high requirements,so it's strange for them to be that slow; anyway I'd lower the graphic settings to the minimum acceptable, use OpenGL as API if you aren't using it already (can be chosen in most games' settings menu), switch to a lightweight WM (cwm, evilwm, dwm, wmii, flwm, ratpoison, aewm, fvwm) and avoid launching them with other haevy stuff (browsers, office suites) opened; I'd also avoid compositing (disabling compton and similars helps a lot) and,if using powerd/powerdxx for power management, temporary switch to performance mode for the gaming time. If your RAM is equal or lower than 4GB, then a wisely reserved swap partition of 4/8 Gb wouldn't hurt. Running a custom kernel with only the needed drivers included returns a certain performance boost, but batter ti reserve this task for a future time. If you're usig nvidia,then the x11/nvidia-settings package provides a nice control panel to twaek with the binary driver,adjusting antialiasong and other stuff; you could disable all of them. Finally, some
sysctl.conf tuning
settings, such as enhancing the shared memory for the X11 session, have been proposed in the view of improving performance in desktop experience,but I can't speak about the real results of implementing those solutions.

Hum...before I install it, I must ask you a few things:

1) It is free? I mean, I only need install it and play with the files downloaded? I won't even try to show a game that it's paid. Don't blame me, but I want to be sure that i don't need the data from the paid version.

2) There's no problem showing a gameplay of it? I'll explain you: maybe I ran a risk uploading this first video. I didn't contact to the creators/programmers of such game. I don't want a disgusting and infamous "strike" on my channel from the admins of YT.

3) What kind of game is it? It contains some things that may disturb some type of people, or the game contains bad scenes, some that isn't appropriate for the "family-friendly" content that YT wants right now. I don't know if you get what I mean.
The game is free and there are not a problem to run and play. It is a native game.
It is the game web page

Sensucht94 I think that the better would be first leave the account of root only for administration.
I need to give permissions to my other user. Do you know how? I will search in the handbook, of course.

fernandel Thanks. I'll see...if I play it well, maybe I upload a gameplay of it.
The only thing it's that I can't find it in the applications menu, so I need to run it from a konsole.
Anyway, thanks for the suggest!

Sensucht94 I think that the better would be first leave the account of root only for administration.
You DEFINITELY should, this is not Windows you can run as root forever

I need to give permissions to my other user. Do you know how? I will search in the handbook, of course.

I'm guessing this experience with FreeBSD is your first serious time with a Unix-like system (Windows user?). Anyway, I've been there too, many have. Yes, read the handbook first and try to apply it the more and the sooner you can; refer also to the FreeBSD wiki and when in doubt look up FreeBSD man pages ( man command). FreeBSD has some of the best made man pages available among all OSs (OpenBSD represents IMHO the only true competitor), so don't underestimate them! FreeBSD forums are old enough to contain most of th answers to your questions. More specific questions can be asked/looked up on FreeBSD mailing lists. beware also that a lot of 3rd party. desktop-oriented software is shared with Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD/macOS. Consulting their references,mailing-lists, forums for question related to ported 3rd party software's usage, is never a bad idea.

Regarding you specific question though, use adduser(8) to create a standard user with wheel as primary login group, and operator/video as additional group membership. Then install security/sudo or security/doas to safely get elevated privileges when required/needed, editing sudoers or doas.conf respectively in the way you've been shown already. Please refer also to Users and Basic Account Management (read 3.4, permissions too, it's a very important step for dealing with a UNIX-like system)

Sensucht94 You should be ascended even to "Daemon" at least.
How can I give permissions to my another user? I'm reading this page of the handbook:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/security-sudo.html
And this one:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/shells.html
And another one that belongs to the handbook, but I can't publish its URL because it is in Spanish.
But as far as I can understand it, I must know the *exact* path of sudo.
How can I know that? Where it locates? I'm wrong?

Sensucht94
Yes, I came from Windows. Many years of use. Then I went sick, tired and bothered of it, and I moved to Linux. But still I found problems like the distance between distros, the community of each distro that spits over the others (I mean, if you have a brother, why the hell you should offend and hate him?), the humongous number of distros (and I am a person that for know how it works, i.g.,an OS, It's mandatory for me test it by myself: give me a .iso or whatever that contains the OS and I will tell you if I liked it). Then you must decide to at least, try to obtain the .iso and test it, which can be a waste of time, internet, and resources of your PC. But the most, it's that if you aren't planning to stay for a long time with it or don't use it a long time nor for important things, then I told you that the best would be not do it. Thus I decided to stay in a only distro (or flavour, in this case) and from there, study and analize the others OS. I mean,at least, know something of one specific OS. Not know a lot of little things about different systems.
But sometimes I install windows on a VM. Despite of all the innumerable amount of fails that it contains, it's a usable system.

@Sensucht94 You should be ascended even to "Daemon" at least.

Too bad I'm really far from that, but neither am I interested in being one; anyway, this forum is populated by many serious (and by serious I mean true professionals running a professional OS, as drhowarddrfine once said) guys you'd struggle to find anywhere else, yet they're often prone to help complete newbies. As a consequence general replies' quality is really good.

ILUXA told you the solution to your question the other day (you should pay more attention), I'll quote his post:
as

execute % su root -c visudo, then uncomment
Code:
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

Save changes and add your user to the wheel group:

execute % su root -c 'pw groupmod wheel -m yourusername' and relogin.

Voila, now you're able to use sudo with your user :).

practically speaking, after having created a standard users and added him to the groups I mentioned above (wheel as primary login group, then operator and video), following the handbook page i linked above (3.3 Users and Basic Account Management), eventually install security/sudo, which will also add the visudo(8) special command, meant to safely edit /usr/local/etc/sudoers, alias sudo's configuration file. Uncommenting (=removing the # 'hashtag' at the beginning of the line)
Code:
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

will result in your standard user, member of wheel group, being authorized to execute commands with elevated privileges by appending sudo before the command of choice and providing his password. If you don't want to be prompted for the password, rather uncomment the line instead (don't uncomment both):

Code:
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Now you can execute commands with root privileges appending sudo beforehand, but without beig asked for a password.
I hope you know how to edit a file in vi already. If you don't learn how on Web, it's easy and will prove useful next time. If you're in a hurry, rather install security/doas, then type:

echo "permit nopass :wheel" > /usr/local/etc/doas.conf

Now, as standard user, member of wheel group, append doas before commands to get root's privilege without being asked for a password.

choose either doas or sudo at your will, but make sure you study how the tools of choice works. Personally I use doas, so don't know much about sudo.

Best regards, I hope further threads will not be opened on the topic

Sensucht94
Ah ah. Nanai. I can't find
Code:
 %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
by using
Code:
  % su root -c visudo
But I have good news: I found "sudoers" which contains the mentioned line, and doing
Code:
 nano /usr/local/etc/sudoers
then I can uncoment the line that you have mentioned.

BSDAppentic3 said:
@Sensucht94
Ah ah. Nanai. I can't find

%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

by using

% su root -c visudo

With visudo, you basically edit that same /usr/local/etc/files, but in a safer way, and with sanity checks

But I have good news: I found "sudoers" which contains the mentioned line, and doing

Code:

nano /usr/local/etc/sudoers

then I can uncoment the line that you have mentioned.

Then do it with nano :sssh:

Sensucht94 In a few time I'll be reporting if I succeeded.
The second: you know a lot of things, you explain it very well,and finally, you're friendly. I read you and finally I can understand something, excuse me, but I needed to say it.

The only three reasons that come to my mind that doesn't let you ascend in range are: how old are you in this site, because I guess that you need to have a lot of years of participation here. The second it's that you probably haven't the necessary level of knowing, which sadly is a reason important: I ignore how much do you know. The third: bureaucracy. Simply as that. Sadly, almost every human system it's directed by the politicians and its politics, which most of times, are cr4p.

That has to do with number of posts by a user, than anything else, IIRC.
exactly, forums' fashion, each forum has its own and all things considered it gets along well with the UNIX-guy irony

Back