What is you preferred internet-browser?

Lynx+Dillo on *BSD
Fifth on Linux
Mull + Bromite on android
I completely agree with lynx and dillo being great browsers. But firefox is fantastic. I've had an issue with audio on one system so I'm using chromium. But every other FreeBSD system I have runs firefox and lynx. I started using lynx back in 2002 and it's always been a staple for my systems. I never know when I'll break X. :D

Firefox v83.0
This is the last version that handles Print Preview correctly.
I do a huge amount of Print to PDF, and later versions of FF don't do it right.
I am stuck with Chrome for the alternate, because so many web sites refuse to talk to FF v83, being down level.
Meh

What is you preferred internet-browser?

I'm with Alexander88207:

Second to Firefox, Thunderbird.

… e-mail client is an internet "browser" …

True enough, for many people.

BrowseInTab, for example. Unfortunately, not compatible with Thunderbird 115 (Supernova), and I have no expectation of a rewrite in the near future.

Alternatives exist, but not yet anything as user-friendly (simple) as BrowseInTab. Early days.

www/seamonkey but it is not anymore in the ports collection due to some stuff I can't fathom …

Indirectly via <https://www.freshports.org/www/seamonkey/#history>:

Truth hurts, sometimes.

… As long as you stick to major browsers (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox), the bulk of all mainstream web pages function correctly. …

True enough, although in many environments Microsoft 365 is mainstream …

The default pre-installed: …

Yesterday I provided tech support a student who had progressed form sixth form, to university. Microsoft OneNote content on his mobile device, from sixth form, cached and still offline, was not in OneNote on his Mac, so we used his default (Safari) to view the source of truth, online.

Safari drew a blank, so –

… Pragmatism.

– the student used Google Chrome to discover the truth on the Mac.

My pragmatic exceptions to Firefox include:
  • qutebrowser for (amongst other things) compatibility with poudriere.

Indirectly via <https://www.freshports.org/www/seamonkey/#history>:

Truth hurts, sometimes.
I still use Seamonkey on Windows and love it. I don't care if it has security holes, it's a web 2.0 browser.

As SeaMonkey always got security backports from the latest Firefox ESR over the last years it can be used by people that care about security ;)

My thoughts are staying with the big mainstream browsers.
I find more and more sites are refusing to load unless you are running the absolute latest and greatest browser version.
This tells me those sites will be unusable with a craft-brew browser instead of a mainstream one.

Back