What is you preferred internet-browser?

Using Firefox, only because it has some addons that I need very much: uBlock Origin, Dark Reader and SingleFile being the most important.

Sometimes I use other browsers, too, as long as they are not Chrome, for example Brave, or Tor.

I'm not fussy about the browser itself, just that I miss my favorite addons, mostly I miss the 'Dark Reader' (changes any webpage as if it would be a dark themed webpage).

Hello!

I did some testing here. Took the first browser test I fount rom internet (https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/) and ran on the three browsers installed in this system. Chromium got the highest score. Here are the normalized results when Chromium is 100%:
  1. www/chromium - 100%
  2. www/iridium - 96%
  3. www/firefox - 34%
Perhaps there are more comprehensive tests available, but now it seems that Chromium is much faster than Firefox. Any thoughts about that?
Iridium is essentially Chromium, just older version. User agent strings are the following:

1. Chromium:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; FreeBSD amd64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/107.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
  2. Irdium:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; FreeBSD amd64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/106.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
  3. Firefox:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; FreeBSD amd64; rv:107.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/107.0

:)

I used to be fond of www/seamonkey but it is not anymore in the ports collection due to some stuff I can't fathom (technically, understand possible security risks).

Switched to www/luakit but somehow there lives a nasty conflicting code in my box. Luakit is a very nice browser, like the fastness and vi-keybinds.

So I use www/firefox to surf to this forum and some things. www/surf is also a nifty piece of browser.

I installed with pkg install and I got errors too:
$ luakit
[ 0.040514] I [core/luah]: Loading rc: /usr/local/etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua
ERROR:common/util.c:67:strip_ansi_escapes: assertion failed (err == NULL): Error while compiling regular expression ‘[\u001b\u009b][[()#;?]*(?:[0-9]{1,4}(?:;[0-9]{0,4})*)?[0-9A-ORZcf-nqry=><]’ at char 3: unrecognized character following \ (g-regex-error-quark, 103)
Bail out! ERROR:common/util.c:67:strip_ansi_escapes: assertion failed (err == NULL): Error while compiling regular expression ‘[\u001b\u009b][[()#;?]*(?:[0-9]{1,4}(?:;[0-9]{0,4})*)?[0-9A-ORZcf-nqry=><]’ at char 3: unrecognized character following \ (g-regex-error-quark, 103)
Abort(coredump)

I'm the port maintainer of luakit and luakit-devel. A glib update broke both luakit and luakit-devel. This was patched upstream in the luakit-devel version (a sort of "rolling release"), but not in the "stable" luakit 2.2. So if you install luakit-devel from ports it should work fine (it does here). The "stable" luakit version 2.2 hasn't been updated so that one is broken until it gets updated upstream. Probably version 2.4.

I'm the port maintainer of luakit and luakit-devel. A glib update broke both luakit and luakit-devel. This was patched upstream in the luakit-devel version (a sort of "rolling release"), but not in the "stable" luakit 2.2. So if you install luakit-devel from ports it should work fine (it does here). The "stable" luakit version 2.2 hasn't been updated so that one is broken until it gets updated upstream. Probably version 2.4.
I installed pkg luakit-devel and it works.

I would say the one that gives me the least amount of grief when browsing a specific website. Having said that, the state of the "web" is horrible these days especially on mobile devices. My phone or tablet is large enough to handle desktop format but sites insist on pushing crapped up mobile formats that make the browsing experience horrific especially with all the embedded ads or pop ups. And web browsers (desktop or mobile) seem to go through cycles where they all "work" for a period and then they all diverge where they don't work. Lately I find that Chrome can't handle certain websites where Firefox can....or vice versa. And for specifically Microsoft sites like xbox.com, I resort to **blech** Edge.

I would say the one that gives me the least amount of grief when browsing a specific website. Having said that, the state of the "web" is horrible these days especially on mobile devices. My phone or tablet is large enough to handle desktop format but sites insist on pushing crapped up mobile formats that make the browsing experience horrific especially with all the embedded ads or pop ups. And web browsers (desktop or mobile) seem to go through cycles where they all "work" for a period and then they all diverge where they don't work. Lately I find that Chrome can't handle certain websites where Firefox can....or vice versa. And for specifically Microsoft sites like xbox.com, I resort to **blech** Edge.

I agree, the problem is not the browsers, is the evolution of the web , I really wish to use light browsers like midori, but most of the pages are terrible rendered and looks ugly
and yeah, some sites works with firefox..others with chrome , from a blank page to everything rendered out of place(buttons,images,etc)
so..big/bloated develop frameworks are the cancer of the web to me and no one is taking care of follow a standar,is a big big mess

I agree, the problem is not the browsers, is the evolution of the web ...
and yeah, some sites works with firefox..others with chrome , ...
That's not my experience. As long as you stick to major browsers (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox), the bulk of all mainstream web pages function correctly. Even though these days they use a lot of scripting, but the big browsers are all compatible enough, and good scripting techniques are now understood, scripting has become unproblematic.

And I'm old enough, I remember reading Ajax textbooks, and dealing with complex if statements in the scripts to deal with browser's idiosyncrasies. That's a thing of the past, as far as I know.

some sites works with firefox..others with chrome , from a blank page to everything rendered out of place(buttons,images,etc)
Which sites? That should never happen anywhere but from "some guy on the internet" who doesn't know what he's doing.

For the rest of us who did this for a living, we would test in all the major browsers going back at least two versions. And we did that multiple times a day as we developed. Often multiple times while writing the markup and code.

Which sites? That should never happen anywhere but from "some guy on the internet" who doesn't know what he's doing.

For the rest of us who did this for a living, we would test in all the major browsers going back at least two versions. And we did that multiple times a day as we developed. Often multiple times while writing the markup and code.

sites from bad developers who dont code for at least the two major browsers...I dont keep a list of sites I browse

Back