RE: Announcement Significant forum upgrade

back in the time when we were building this forum we have of course evaluated several forum software packages including SMF, vB, phpBB etc and it was concluded that XF was the best option for us.

It is good that there are improvements of added thread, bug and ports manpages icons.

Navigation is a little bit more difficult on a mobile phone, and the icons of file name and ports manual page are counter-intuitive, especially on mobile. If possible, it would be better if the Prevent text parsing, HTML Anchor and Deleted icons were grouped closer together, and had a separation from the icons used for referencing man pages, code, commands, etc.
should also be fixed.

should also be fixed.
They seem to be removed from the mobile display, and not the desktop. I see how the inline code tag is better than the highlight tag that I used for its purpose.

My guess is that you're aware of using https://validator.w3.org/ to test markup code? With the amount of HTML, CSS and Javascript code here, I realize how much more tedious that is.

My guess is that you're aware of using https://validator.w3.org/ to test markup code? With the amount of HTML, CSS and Javascript code here, I realize how much more tedious that is.

The problem is, that's not danger@'s code. That's XenForo code and if you've taken a look at it cleaning it up is a massive job. With editor/leafpad at full-size mode about halfway down the page there is more than one whole screen of nothing but blank space. I need to tighten it up just to be able to work on it.

Validate it? According to drhowarddfine that is a job unto itself:

This page alone has 69 HTML errors and warnings and 7 CSS errors with 444 warnings.

I didn't bother running it myself. No point.

There's one new change I'm really happy about - when mousing over a thread that's towards the top of the web browser - before, it would open a 'tool tip' to show the first few lines of the thread ABOVE the mouse and subsequently get cut off by the upper limits of the browser window. Now, the same action will open the tool tip BELOW the thread line and I can read all its contents! Thanks! great job! :)

Hi guys. It seemed that your forum works with Chromium based browser only. When I use Firefox I can't use multiquote and format my code as a specific language, like BASH.

Hi guys. It seemed that your forum works with Chromium based browser only. When I use Firefox I can't use multiquote and format my code as a specific language, like BASH.
I tried with FF 29.0.1 and those features work just fine.

Midori is putting the member info above the post instead of on the side. Thanks for changing the bar color on the side of the qoute boxes, gray is much softer with the red theme.

First: Thank you for upgrading.

Minor complaint: When replying to a post, or editing a post, sometimes a lot of "[" bgcolor = xxx "]" and "[" /bgcolor "]" show up out of nowhere, and the end up being displayed in the post. I can edit the post and hunt them down manually, but that's a hassle. What makes it slightly more interesting is that the editor automatically adds closing tags at the end, so if in hunting them down I miss a few, there is a slew of "[" /bgcolor "]" at the end of the post, requiring another pass over it.

I'm using Chrome 64.0.... on MacOS.

Did I mention thank you for upgrading, and for dealing with all the minor complaints?

First: Thank you for upgrading.

Minor complaint: When replying to a post, or editing a post, sometimes a lot of "[" bgcolor = xxx "]" and "[" /bgcolor "]" show up out of nowhere, and the end up being displayed in the post. I can edit the post and hunt them down manually, but that's a hassle. What makes it slightly more interesting is that the editor automatically adds closing tags at the end, so if in hunting them down I miss a few, there is a slew of "[" /bgcolor "]" at the end of the post, requiring another pass over it.

I'm using Chrome 64.0.... on MacOS.

Did I mention thank you for upgrading, and for dealing with all the minor complaints?
Thanks.

Do you have a specific example of where it happens?

Do you have a specific example of where it happens?

Go to off-topic the "danger CoC..." thread, I replied to a post by sulman, which had the "Spinal Tap" reference. Both my reply, and then my attempt at editing that reply to remove the bgcolor had the problem crop up.

Could it be caused by sulman's post having some mark-up that is not visible to me, but that when quoting it shows up, and screws things up? I greatly shortened his quote, and if it had bgcolor entries in it, I might have shortened those too much, causing the automatic closing tags to make the problem worse.

hm I wonder what's going on with the weird bgcolor tags in your reply here? :)

And it just happened again when quoting your post! See above. Not going to edit it this time, so you can see it.
OK and you just clicked the Reply button, wrote your text and clicked Post reply button and this happened?

OK and you just clicked the Reply button, wrote your text and clicked Post reply button and this happened?
Sorry, overlooked your question. Exactly: Click reply, there were no "bgcolor" visible in the editor window, wrote my reply, hit "post reply" button.

Now I wonder what extraneous text will show up in this reply. Perhaps something about flying purple elephants?

Sorry, overlooked your question. Exactly: Click reply, there were no "bgcolor" visible in the editor window, wrote my reply, hit "post reply" button.

Now I wonder what extraneous text will show up in this reply. Perhaps something about flying purple elephants?
Thats quite strange indeed. Didnt happen to me yet and nobody else have reported this before. What browser are you using? Could you maybe try with a different one?

When on mobile, the menu bar changes sizes. This means that in css, there are conflicting or inefficient instructions for one group of elements. Likely one instruction is for mobile, and the other for all screens. It could also be, that css hasn't set a fixed size for the width. In the case of a picture, when it loads without css dimensions, the rest of the data has to wait for the picture to adjust. If the size (width alone will do) is set for that picture in css, the dimensions load immediately, so the rest of the page can load without waiting on the picture to load, and without the picture having to readjust.
The problem is, that's not danger@'s code. That's XenForo code and if you've taken a look at it cleaning it up is a massive job.
That's kind of what I said, but perhaps I didn't figure to the extent of massive.
Use www/bluefish or an html editor that automatically points out errors like unclosed tags (I forgot if bluefish does that).
Validate it? According to drhowarddfine that is a job unto itself:
I didn't bother running it myself. No point.
Validating it cuts down on a lot of work of finding errors.

The more one edits HTML, the less mistakes one will make as one goes on.

Thats quite strange indeed. Didnt happen to me yet and nobody else have reported this before. What browser are you using? Could you maybe try with a different one?
Doesn't happen all the time. I'll switch from Chrome to Firefox for this forum after this post. And honestly, if I'm the only person who has this problem, just ignore it; it can always be edited away.

back in the time when we were building this forum we have of course evaluated several forum software packages including SMF, vB, phpBB etc and it was concluded that XF was the best option for us.
It is not bad, but it introduce some "side-effects", for example, a friend of mine, also a forum administrator,
switched his forum from phpBB to XenForo, when I asked him why he did it, one of his arguments was "because even FreeBSD forums uses it". So the side effect is, that in fact, FreeBSD forum is a big red XenForo ad for now :D. IMO, it would be better to advertise some free projects (even GPL licensed), than commercial ones, especially if to take into account that this forum is forum of one of the most Free operating systems in the world. Also, what I dislike, posting nice things here = is a contributing to XenForo in a certain degree.

Back