RE: Announcement Significant forum upgrade

I do find, when posting, that if I get to the bottom of the posting box, some of my text will become hidden by the the character count. If my post is long enough to reach the bottom right corner of the posting textbox, I'm unable to see what I'm typing until I hit return to get to the next line. However, I've seen no one else mention this issue, so it may be a Just Me(TM) thing and can be worked around by hitting return on the line.

The one-to-two inch header at the top risks missing content if one uses the PgDown rather than the Down Arrow to scroll... not a dealbreaker but maybe a X could
be placed within it to make it go away til the next login?

header at the top risks missing content if one uses the PgDown rather than the Down Arrow to scroll...
gSuiEMt.png

it follows you everywhere, it may lead to some delusions
of persecution with some individuals, and it is really
paranoid a little bit :D It reminds me some sort of
facebook UI, which is disgusting IMO. Also such header
is OK for social networks, but not for forums IMO. Moreover,
forum header is even worse than facebook one,
because forum header with shadows is 82px height,
while facebook header height is 44px,
it is huge and awful. What is most horrible,
it is also shown in this way for guests.

I understand that it is probably more easy to use forum with such header
for mobile phone net surfers, but subjects of this forum are not mobile phone
specific, as far as I can see.

I do find, when posting, that if I get to the bottom of the posting box, some of my text will become hidden by the the character count. If my post is long enough to reach the bottom right corner of the posting textbox, I'm unable to see what I'm typing until I hit return to get to the next line. However, I've seen no one else mention this issue, so it may be a Just Me(TM) thing and can be worked around by hitting return on the line.

I've only noticed this on mobile, but it is annoying. Not sure if it's something that can be changed or not. I've gotten "used" to it.

Same in here ( not mobile ).

Btw, the :beer: doesn't show up in here anymore.

Also, is there something available that can be enabled to indicate the OP of the thread, like that microphone on Reddit? Sometimes I find myself lost about who is the OP when the thread get longer. :)

Thanks!

header at the top risks missing content if one uses the PgDown rather than the Down Arrow to scroll...
TteDLk5.png

Here is temporary solution to disable "sticky header" for firefox based web browsers.
Create $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/<your_profile>/chrome/userContent.css or
$HOME/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/<your_profile>/chrome/userContent.css
for palemoon web browser, then add this to that file:
Code:
@-moz-document domain('forums.freebsd.org') {
	.p-navSticky {
		position: absolute !important;
		width: 100% !important;
	}
	.p-body {
		margin-top: 50px !important;
	}
}
Save it and restart your browser. Header should always be on top,
where it should be, because it is a "header", first of all.

happy? ;-)

Same in here ( not mobile ).

Btw, the :beer: doesn't show up in here anymore.

Also, is there something available that can be enabled to indicate the OP of the thread, like that microphone on Reddit? Sometimes I find myself lost about who is the OP when the thread get longer. :)

Thanks!

What I also find pretty annoying in new forum design,
is symbols count in bottom right of "editor",
because sometimes it hides whole words,
and sometimes you don't see what you're typing.
bRgQDh6.png

But it is also possible to remove this in the same way as creepy header,
that follows you everywhere (and also covers the text… while text is
the most important thing in any forum, all the rest is secondary). Add
Code:
@-moz-document domain('forums.freebsd.org') {
        .fr-counter {
                display: none;
        }
}
to ~/.mozilla/firefox/your_profile.default/chrome/userContent.css.
(or to ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/your_profile.default/chrome/userContent.css,
if you're using www/palemoon.)
Then counter will disappear
QodyWXt.png

Also I cannot understand why someone should care how many symbols he typed,
it isn't a SMS message, which will be more expensive, if it'll be bigger, it is a forum post.

Great upgrade and new look! I don't even have to re-print my 3d printed Beastie to make a new avatar picture :)
Found an issue with Smilies - can't insert any. Nothing happens when I click on the icon. Tested on FreeBSD 12 Firefox and on Windows 10 Opera, Chrome

Found an issue with Smilies - can't insert any. Nothing happens when I click on the icon. Tested on FreeBSD 12 Firefox and on Windows 10 Opera, Chrome
confirmed, I will have a look into it. For the time being, you should still be able to just insert them with the common bbcodes or short forms.

Back