RE: Announcement Significant forum upgrade

BTW I dont know if you guys noticed but the code tag now supports syntax hilighting. The button for this is a little hidden under the ... button, but once you learn how it works its easily usable by hand writing or our custom button which is not hidden.

The max width was limited to 1200px, I raised it to 1500px. Not sure if it's enough for you :)
Actually, if anything, the width of text should be far less, not more. The number of characters on a line should be no more than about two and a half alphabets wide making the total width of a paragraph no more than about 65 characters. The mantra on the web is 45-75 but its acceptable to go as high as 95 if it works. This setting doesn't really work for readability.

The font size is an interesting choice as its set to a non "standard" 15 px instead of 16px but our designers set everything to 18 to 20px on the desktop, typically.

I'm sure a lot of these settings are part of the canned software package but thought I'd mention them. Overall, the look is cleaner and I like it.

Are you reffering to the request to move the side menus somewhere else on the page?

Yes. However, it was not a request.

I pointed out what I saw as a detriment and offered a possible solution. If it could be done with dropdown menus it would be most efficient and minimize any vertical space lost.

That is how people see it in the screenshot when not logged in.

A good option would be for the users have the possibility to choose if they want to use the new "look" of the forum or the old one, like when I could choose to install X or Y version of the same program, like flavors. What I liked at the "old look" was that the page space wasn't wasted like is now and that the thread "borders" where much closer to browser borders, also the colors were more prominent. At the "new look" I like the new preview function.

Three things I do not like, if it worth something:
  • some editor icons are harder to identify (ports manual, port program, etc.), they are not so intuitive;
  • too light background, almost blend with the white of the forums "squares". It seems lighter than #CCCCCC;
  • still no Thread 64034/post-371814 .
Thanks! :)

The new theme generally looks nicer, but functionally I think it's a step back. Don't like the solid bar to the left of the quoted text. I find it distracting. Using the default red theme is the worst. Switched to blue and it's not as bad. Also don't like the drop downs for common tasks, rather see a flat style where the buttons I use all the time are always in the title bar, that would be show new posts and show watched threads.

This thread reminds me when I changed the look and feel of the forum I administrate. I had a lot of messages complaining and quite a few telling me that the new one was better than the old one. So I decided to make a poll, ready to revert the changes I had done. But to my surprise, the majority was in favour of the new look. I guess it is what some call the silent majority.

I'm really trying to fix all suggestions/complaints that are being reported. Unfortunately it's not possible to allow to switch to the old theme, as it is not compatible with XF2. I initially created the old theme as well as this new one. However I am not a designer nor an expert in css/html/js/whatever is used here. I am just trying my best and work with what's available. Everything design-wide is publicly acessible and I am really open for specific suggestions to css/html tweaks. If you don't like the solid bar next to quoted text, OK, tell me how would you like it or even better, send me css diffs. Same with editor icons. In the end, it's just a matter of time till people get used to the new design...

Can you move the right margin to the right, so both the ends of the comment boxes, and side boxes on the main page align closer to the right edge. The code for the attribute is margin-right. The left is aligned perfectly. If needed, the other margins are suffixed with -left, -top or -bottom. px is better for spacing text, and em is better for spacing containers. The padding attribute operates similarly to margin.

I believe it's class=p-body-inner, or a container above it. It's something like, .p-body-inner{margin-right:2.5em;}

* edit
Under the comment toolbar .fr-toolbar, or class fr-toolbar:

Move button id's:
Move #xfCustom_del-1 and #xfCustom_noparse-1, to the left, next to #xfCustom_anchor-1.
Then Insert a fr-separator fr-vs after it. This way, code format tags are grouped and separated from reference tags. This also puts man and pman icons next to each other.

I just noticed that there are two similar function icons that cross out text. One is for fonts, and the other carries a similar function. Strike-through and Deleted. It wouldn't be so bad to keep these two similar functions.

...I am really open for specific suggestions to css/html tweaks.

I can't promise anything but have the page HTML and will look at it. I need to sleep first for it to make any sense and have to replicate the whole thing. And it still might not come out right.

The font size seems to be quite high, specially the command text is pretty large. IMHO, the font size of the old forum were more adequate.

I've spent the last 6-8 hours working with this forum software, commercial forum software, signed up for and am currently logged in to a demo version of XenForo as Admin. I'm looking at the Admin panel with the config options, such as Styles & templates, Template modification, widgets and a whole section on forum sidebar options.

There's not much point in me working in a text editor to change the look of commercial software that is supposed to look like this and has as many configuration options readily available to do so already.

I've spent the last 6-8 hours working with this forum software, commercial forum software, signed up for and am currently logged in to a demo version of XenForo as Admin. I'm looking at the Admin panel with the config options, such as Styles & templates, Template modification, widgets and a whole section on forum sidebar options.

There's not much point in me working in a text editor to change the look of commercial software that is supposed to look like this and has as many configuration options readily available to do so already.
I could export the current template for you, should help you much. But im travelling right now so will be able to do so in ca 8hrs from now at the soonest.

Back