RE: Announcement Significant forum upgrade

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
So, danger@ , I have to reply in a new thread, sorry.
Everything looks good, thanks. The only annoying thing is the inability to see selection of text when writing/replying a post. In other words, when I select own text to copy, its background color doesn't change.
Checked in Firefox, Palemoon and Chromium.

Ditto to aragats post.

Also, nice to see that there's finally a Preview choice. The previous setup was obviously made by someone who was passionate about having lots of mouse clicks.

Now all we need to make me happy is to have posts not disappear when viewed. I'm probably not the only one who might want to re-read them or refer back to them later.

It is good that there are improvements of added thread, bug and ports manpages icons.

Navigation is a little bit more difficult on a mobile phone, and the icons of file name and ports manual page are counter-intuitive, especially on mobile. If possible, it would be better if the Prevent text parsing, HTML Anchor and Deleted icons were grouped closer together, and had a separation from the icons used for referencing man pages, code, commands, etc.

IMHO previous design was much better, functionality is the same.
Don't know why, but this reminds me new firefox :D
I guess we old people have to adapt to the millennials.
At least at the first glimpse it seems like if no functionality has been removed to make things "easier".
And yes, the new preview is much better :)
I guess that our forums admins will fix the problem of the invisible selection text very soon. (Thanks in advance!)

Edit: Another new issue is long code lines not being wrapped. Just one example...

Not necessarily a fan because several aspects are now harder to spot. For example; it's quite easy to overlook a thread which has been marked as 'solved'. This used to be a hard to miss green icon but now easily blends in with the subject. And as mentioned by others above: marking your text for editing is nearly invisible, which is also annoying (though I understand that this will be fixed later on).

I do agree that the icons in the toolbar look better. As to being more functional... not sure, but then again I usually type out the markup anyway ;)

I only hope the editor doesn't mess up formatting. There used to be a huge difference between typing a quick reply (which seems to be the default now) or using the full editor (which also had a preview option, this really isn't anything new). The most notable is that sometimes the formatting could go a little haywire. Easily solved with a small post, but highly annoying if you were writing a tutorial-like message.

Alas, one way to find out how it all goes ;)

I don't care for it at all.

It's hard to copy and paste text, part of the text is cut off from the thread titles and author on the menu, text area is squashed in too much with too much wasted border space, no "Other Options" for a full page editor like before, can't see how many posts you have like before, etc.

I do agree that the icons in the toolbar look better. As to being more functional...
They were functionally grouped. I liked that.
Now they are just squashed together, hard to find.
Such a pile of icons confuses me, temptimg me to just type the markup like ShelLuser, instead of trying to find the correct icon by hovering and waiting for the pop up text to appear :(

It works. Some of the changes I don't like (we humans seldom do like unexpected change), but I guess I can live with it. Now I need to figure out if there is a way to turn off those "letter instead of avatar" symbols, as well as other ways to get more content on one screen (hey web designer people - I have a much wider screen than the width of this theme you have decided on, you should adapt to the width of users web browser window, not impose arbitrary limits on it).
again, this is a forum - I care for the content here, not the design. So changes that improves how much content I can see (while still being readable) is what I prefer.

I use the FreeBSD 'Power to Serve' Image at top as a shortcut to the top level of the forum.
That is missing now.

Also message text selection does not highlight as others mentioned.

So, danger@ , I have to reply in a new thread, sorry.
Everything looks good, thanks. The only annoying thing is the inability to see selection of text when writing/replying a post. In other words, when I select own text to copy, its background color doesn't change.
Checked in Firefox, Palemoon and Chromium.
This should be fixed now.

Not necessarily a fan because several aspects are now harder to spot. For example; it's quite easy to overlook a thread which has been marked as 'solved'. This used to be a hard to miss green icon but now easily blends in with the subject.

Fixed.

It works. Some of the changes I don't like (we humans seldom do like unexpected change), but I guess I can live with it. Now I need to figure out if there is a way to turn off those "letter instead of avatar" symbols, as well as other ways to get more content on one screen (hey web designer people - I have a much wider screen than the width of this theme you have decided on, you should adapt to the width of users web browser window, not impose arbitrary limits on it).
again, this is a forum - I care for the content here, not the design. So changes that improves how much content I can see (while still being readable) is what I prefer.

The max width was limited to 1200px, I raised it to 1500px. Not sure if it's enough for you :)

I guess this is a feature, since it's a code snippet it shouldn't get wrapped.
Code:
% echo Sounds plausible and sensible, too. However I wonder what happens when lines are longer than the screen. Another thing I find quite funny is that the color bars being used to denote admin+mod+dev status make one strongly feel as if these were all Rastafaris. The colors used before were a bit more decent, not that shrill crying colors like now. But I guess this is also a thing of making all things look smartphone kiddy millennial umm, modern style compatible. Now I am looking forward whether the page will echo me with a long horizontal scroll bar. But I see that @danger@rous guy silently has fixed the code boxes so that these, and not the browser window get a horizontal scroll bar :)   *thumbs up*
Edit: The code boxes' horizontal scroll bar seems to work only in the preview :(

The max width was limited to 1200px, I raised it to 1500px. Not sure if it's enough for you :)
Could you use percentage values instead?
(This can break other formattings if tese are pixel-based, but fixes the problem of having a very thin vertical text bar surrounded by wide empty space left and right sides on high-res displays)

Could you use percentage values instead?
(This can break other formattings if tese are pixel-based, but fixes the problem of having a very thin vertical text bar surrounded by wide empty space left and right sides on high-res displays)
it's set to 85% now. Let me know if that works.

it's set to 85% now. Let me know if that works.
The text now fills the screen 85% wide, and the blank areas left and right are now adequate sized.
And I do not see anything broken because of that. Very fine :)

However, the scroll bar is still there because of the wide echo. It looked very fine in the preview, like it used to be in the previous layout.
And you do no longer look like a Rasta.

I think it would be better with the bar/tabs (Posts, Threads, Staff, Members) on the right for desktops to be closer to the right margin, instead of closer to the center. The left margin is perfect.

I guess this is a feature, since it's a code snippet it shouldn't get wrapped.

Should code boxes have overflow:auto to give scrollbars? Does look wrong with the text coming out of the box

Also lost my posts/thanks count under the avatar :(

Should code boxes have overflow:auto to give scrollbars? Does look wrong with the text coming out of the box
I like the old way it was, that the code box would scroll within the comment box, and not over the whole screen.
Also lost my posts/thanks count under the avatar :(
It shows if you hover over it, but that's difficult or unavailable to do with a touchscreen. It has one benefit, that it takes up less space, but it would be better to have it in a smaller version than the last set up.

Back