FreeBSD Screen Shots

Just now.

Screenshot at 2024-10-11 21-23-19.png

Screenshot at 2024-10-11 21-34-18.png

View attachment 20646

I just use like this, almost a default dwm with a cool dmenu helper to launch some apps and manage somethings that I stripped from sxmo
That looks way too efficient for me :p

Like it looks like switching between apps/windows would be easy, but I'm too used to Alt-Tabbing or mouse-clicking stuff with visuals and a bit of eye-candy.

YJ2PXXk.png

Even though I could have Firefox side-by-side with a Terminal, I have it floating as a mostly-maximized window centered-focused, and Terminal on the right-side covered.

I know it's there to check every now and then (doing a large rsync currently), but don't necessarily want to forget about it if it's too-hidden :p, clicking it from the Taskbar is a longer mouse-move to the bottom of the screen from the center where I'm messing with Firefox, and Alt-tab requires full-interaction/focus (gotta stop what I'm doing to keyboard Alt-tab to check Terminal vs casually clicking it).

Is that GNOME System Monitor? I'd keep an eye on its memory usage if it is (I left GNOME's sysmon open for 10 minutes and it was memory leaking and ate like 5GB and some swap; that was on openSUSE Linux but relatively recent last month).

Although that looks like Mate and maybe they have their own version of it? Newer GNOME versions also has a Disk I/O graph.

Is that GNOME System Monitor? I'd keep an eye on its memory usage if it is (I left GNOME's sysmon open for 10 minutes and it was memory leaking and ate like 5GB and some swap; that was on openSUSE Linux but relatively recent last month).
This is Gnome system monitor, compiled from source an can run days or weeks, not leaking. I have also Mate and KDE system monitors, but I like the Gnome monitor the most.

Screenshot at 2024-10-12 12-58-24.png

Code:
~# portversion -v gnome-system-monitor
[Reading data from pkg(8) ... - 2180 packages found - done]
gnome-system-monitor-42.0_1  =  up-to-date with port

Screenshot at 2024-10-12 13-15-11.png

Screenshot at 2024-10-12 13-17-00.png

A custom splash screen with vt(4) and FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT​

1728831136963.pngWith a PNG that was probably too large:

Loading splash OK

– but then boot does not proceed. No splash screen, and so on.

vlcsnap-2024-10-13-15h54m50s404.pngWith a smaller PNG (366.1 KiB):
  • two frames from a screen recording
vlcsnap-2024-10-13-15h55m48s419.png

Pre-vt​

2008 (around five years before vt):

Bonus: attached (below), the PNG that was used for the recording.

It's almost ten times as large as the FreeBSD logo:

Code:
% exa -hl --no-permissions --no-time --no-user /boot/images
Size Name
7.7k freebsd-brand-rev.png
 14k freebsd-brand.png
 39k freebsd-logo-rev.png
375k Pickle-Bill-landscape.png
%

– don't experiment with images that may be oversize, unless you're prepared to dig yourself out of a hole with e.g. ZFS boot environments.

Attachments

• Pickle-Bill-landscape.png
    Pickle-Bill-landscape.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 42
Incidentally, stable/14 has the same capability.

splash(4) for FreeBSD-STABLE describes how to use the FreeBSD-provided red image of the orb.

Have you encountered problems with CURRENT generally?

Never any show-stopper.

Back