FreeBSD Screen Shots

Elegant, not updated guide to configuring and personalized Fluxbox? It is quite complicated that the system detects all the icons in the menu.

All I do is edit the default menu to include the programs I install. The rest is done from the right-click menu.

mrclksr has a .txt file on his page on my site that describes how he implements icons on his Fluxbox menu

When I'll have some time, I'll update config and remove it. I'll replace it with x11-clocks/wmclock
View attachment 6591
but you can do it by yourself —
Code:
*Dock: (3x3, Frame 2, Swallow(UseOld,NoClose) wmclockmon\
        'Exec exec wmclockmon -bw -nl', Action(Mouse1) 'Exec exec wmclockmon-cal',\
        Action(Mouse3) 'Exec exec wmclockmon-cal')
Replace these lines with
Code:
*Dock: (3x3, Frame 3, Swallow(UseOld,NoClose) wmclock\
        'Exec exec wmclock -24')

Install the lxmenu-data package, as written here:

Then restart FVWM and you'll be able to generate a menu.

Yes, just edit menu file and add whatever menu options you want ;)

ILUXA, the ~/.fvwm directory goes in the user folder directory?

Attachments

• screenf.png
    screenf.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 560
ILUXA, the ~/.fvwm directory goes in the user folder directory?
Yes. "~/.fvwm" means "/home/your_user_name/.fvwm/" or "/home/$USER/.fvwm/" or "$HOME/.fvwm/".
When you execute ls ~/.fvwm/, you should see something similar -
Снимок экрана от 2019-07-08 21-51-44.png

Guys, please, post all your FVWM questions to FVWM topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
multimedia.png

The Gateway/Acer clone running FreeBSD 11..2-RELEASE-p7 that has been serving as the machine I watch movies on is now also serving as my mp3 player. The fan gave out on my beloved X61 that was serving as my mp3 player. I may be able to switch it out from T61 parts I have on hand but haven't checked.

It stays offline in that role so there's no need to keep it updated.

Hi olivierd, as I recall, you are one of the maintainers of the xfce port, n'est-ce pas?
I use xfce and just wanted to say thank you for your hard work.
Do you have any idea when the 4.14 port or package will be available?

I'm not anymore ports committer, now it's madpilot@

I don't know when Xfce 4.14 will be landed in ports tree. You can follow (and try) his own ports tree and subscribe FreeBSD's xfce mailing list.

Feedback is always interesting.

I would't mind if you could share your config for status and launch bar
Sure. The status bar is x11/polybar. For the icons I use x11-fonts/font-awesome. Here is my polybar config file. Most of the modules I use are custom scripts but I can share them if you like.
The launcher is x11-wm/plank with Kit-Kat theme. I use the GUI to configure plank which is quiet easy. Here is a collection of plank themes on github.

Playing with x11-wm/windowmaker. I do like this, despite the "desktop" icons. It's light and fast, have the dock set up to single click to ease up on the carpal tunnel from clicking for so many years...
View attachment 6938
Have you tried wmbutton yet? it is a dockapp with 9 buttons x 3, for right click, middle click and left click launcher. If you get the one on the sight https://www.dockapps.net/wmbutton

it's a simple compile install, I use it on Linux and FreeBSD in my WMaker. You can set scripts to it and just about any thing that can be launched using one click. and it updates as soon as you change the rc file and save it. No logging out, and in or anything like that to test it and set it, or change it to your needs on the fly.

in WMaker autostart
Code:
#wmbutton -F -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1  -b $HOME/GNUstep/Library/Icons/buttons3.xpm &
wmbutton -b $HOME/GNUstep/Library/Icons/buttons3.xpm &
the -b switch is for a custom button I created using the icons included in the source code and gimp, and the top one if xorg-fonts are not installed to get past the font error
just a little fyi.

5th button down on left side, it cuts back on having a lot of dockapps for everything on the desktop.

just make sure you get the resource file, .wmbutton file in your home, you might have to copy it out of the source.

Nice desktop. Too many small buttons for me though! I don't mind having the dock and I only have a few things on it. I also use dmenu so can quickly get to anything I need with a couple of keystrokes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nice desktop. Too many small buttons for me though! I don't mind having the dock and I only have a few things on it. I also use dmenu so can quickly get to anything I need with a couple of keystrokes. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Yeah I just put my reading glasses 🤓 on for the most part, and got the where that button I need is at aim down.. so it is easy for me. 😉

My first *BSD experience! I'm really enjoying what FreeBSD has to offer from a desktop perspective. I decided to give it a go last night and this is where I am at the moment on my personal laptop. There is still some work to be done:

1. Get i915kms working with my theme/window when applied in rc.conf. Currently it makes the red border almost disappear around my windows and makes a large black bar appear on every title on my windows as well when it is applied.

2. Get Conky set up and configured.

3. Proper sleep/resume on lid shut [I saw some forum posts talking about this, but so far they havent worked].

I decided to go with XFCE since that was what I was used to from my main desktop [Arch]. I didn't want to put FreeBSD in a bad light by trying WMs which I have no experience with as of yet. The install went much better than expected, and really the only thing I've had to troubleshoot was/is that i915kms issue with my windows.

Compared to Linux, I enjoy FreeBSD a lot. I obviously haven't spent much time in *BSD land yet, but right away doing any config is SO much easier. Everything is centralized in just a few files! Excited to keep learning and playing around with it

Attachments

• 2019-10-08-221729_1600x900_scrot.png
    2019-10-08-221729_1600x900_scrot.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 625
i915kms does not have anything to do with your windows, it is simply the graphics driver. I believe, and others will correct me if wrong, but the black title bar issue is an issue with Xfce4.

And welcome to FreeBSD by the way :)

i915kms does not have anything to do with your windows, it is simply the graphics driver. I believe, and others will correct me if wrong, but the black title bar issue is an issue with Xfce4.

And welcome to FreeBSD by the way :)

Good to know. I only assumed that because everything went back to normal as soon as I commented out the line in rc.conf. I verified that by uncommenting and recommenting the line, which made my windows return to normal and then messed up when it was recommented. I'll keep looking on what I should try next. And thank you for the welcome!

Back