FreeBSD Screen Shots

This is my mix of Ubuntu, and Fedora look.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-03-21 19-04-09.png
    Screenshot from 2018-03-21 19-04-09.png
    949.5 KB · Views: 1,123
My X61 .mp3 player running FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p8 that sits by my recliner and faithfully plays music for me. I sometime run it through my stereo but more often listen to it kicked back with lightweight headphones.

electricwarrior.png

I already had this wallpaper made up but the Nirvana screenshot by Sensucht94 made me think of of it. :)

Here is my current FreeBSD setup on my laptop (I switched to DWM after using Fluxbox for a long while).

View attachment 4684

James :)

Hi !...despite I don't think I'm going to move from flwm for quite a while, would you mind sharing a little personal review of dwm? I'm quite interested in minimalist WMs ;) Also which panel are you using?

Hi !...despite I don't think I'm going to move from flwm for quite a while, would you mind sharing a little personal review of dwm? I'm quite interested in minimalist WMs ;) Also which panel are you using?

Sure, I was previously using x11-wm/fluxbox and dabbled with x11-wm/i3 to get a feel for using a tiling window manager. Had seen some nice screenshots of x11-wm/dwm desktops so installed it via pkg which was a mistake, as I didn't like the default keybindings and you cant change anything without recompiling from source. At that point I went back to x11-wm/fluxbox! :)

Decided to give x11-wm/dwm another try when I had more time, so downloaded the source and hacked away; Fixed some paths for the build on FreeBSD, changed keybindings to be more intuitive for me (Win+Q: Close, Win+Enter: terminal, Win+Tab: Focus Next, etc.), changed tags (kind of like workspaces) to the following: term, mail, web, code, games, music.

At this point I had no status bar info like cpu, ram, disk, date/time etc... So I cloned the slstatus source and fixed up some of the components I wanted to use with FreeBSD, and also installed x11-fonts/font-awesome for some cool looking icons! :cool:

Also installed x11/dmenu for launching applications, and graphics/feh for setting the desktop background.

I'm very pleased with x11-wm/dwm now I put in the time to sort it out, it is super lightweight, has minimal dependencies, screen-space efficient (just the one tiny bar at the top for everything), and has the Monocle and Floating modes if you need them!

Here are my GitHub repos if you just want a copy of my current setup (checkout freebsd branch not master);
https://github.com/Digital-Chaos/dwm/tree/freebsd
https://github.com/Digital-Chaos/slstatus/tree/freebsd

Here is my .xinitrc;

Code:
# Fix for Java GUI applications grey window with non-reparenting WMs (such as DWM below)
export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

# Set background for DWM
feh --no-fehbg --randomize --bg-scale ~/Wallpaper/

# Start Status Bar
/usr/local/bin/slstatus &

# Start DWM
exec /usr/local/bin/dwm

Sensucht94: Great work on the FreeBSD Gaming screenshots btw! :)

JAW

You may be interested of taking a look at x11/rofi as x11/dmenu replacement. Also, you may want to test x11/polybar. ;)

EDIT: one time to set the wallpaper using graphics/feh, this file is created: $HOME/.fehbg. This is a executable what does store the patch of your last selected wallpaper. Basically, that file is a sh script that have the last command used to set wallpapper using graphics/feh.

So, I prefer to call .fehbg in .xsession/.xinitrc because wherever I change the wallpaper graphics/feh update the patch in that file.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAW
Sure, I was previously using x11-wm/fluxbox and dabbled with x11-wm/i3 to get a feel for using a tiling window manager. Had seen some nice screenshots of x11-wm/dwm desktops so installed it via pkg which was a mistake, as I didn't like the default keybindings and you cant change anything without recompiling from source. At that point I went back to x11-wm/fluxbox! :)

JAW thanks a lot for the thorough explanation; i don't mind recompiling the few lines of code which x11-wm/dwm consists of in order to customize it. All things considered I've done the same with x11-wm/flwm and x11-wm/wm2, and I'm fine with it.

At this point I had no status bar info like cpu, ram, disk, date/time etc... So I cloned the slstatus source and fixed up some of the components I wanted to use with FreeBSD, and also installed x11-fonts/font-awesome for some cool looking icons! :cool:

My god, I've been hopping a lot between x11/tint, x11/lemonbar and deskutils/pypanel before coming to the conclusion that 'no bar' would have been my way. x11/polybar has become very popular lately, especially among Linux users. For me it's just bloated and its dependencies are unacceptable; I'd be using lxpanel if I needed a desktop environment. slstatus looks pretty neat though, I will try it, thanks for sharing!
x11-fonts/font-awesome is truly a great font; personally at the moment I'm fully into Source Code Pro, x11-fonts/sourcecodepro-ttf

Also installed x11/dmenu for launching applications

dmenu still rocks (x11/rofi on the other side is definitely more powerful, as lebarondemerde suggested). Personally I use dmenu_extended with internet search and jnrl plugins. It's just too comfortable and builds out of the box with Python36 :cool:

and graphics/feh for setting the desktop background.

give a try x11/hsetroot if you haven't already, is significantly more powerful and lightweight than feh ;)

Here are my GitHub repos if you just want a copy of my current setup (checkout freebsd branch not master);
https://github.com/Digital-Chaos/dwm/tree/freebsd
https://github.com/Digital-Chaos/slstatus/tree/freebsd

Thanks, I'll look your repo up as soon as I'll have the time to give dwm a try ;)

@Sensucht94: Great work on the FreeBSD Gaming screenshots btw! :)

Thanks! I hope I'll find the time to submit another post in future, with some more games, wine and emulators, as well as the new stuff available in CURRENT

• Thanks
Reactions: JAW
Sensucht94

What x11/polybar dependecies you find unacceptable? All its really just do depends on are xcb related stuff, fontconfig, and libinotify; all others are attached to OPTIONS, and so can be disabled...

Anyway, for who prefer those really minimal bars, like x11/lemonbar, I've used that with Admiral <-- quite nice tool indeed.

Last edited:
Sensucht94

What x11/polybar dependecies you find unacceptable? All its really just on xcb related stuff, fontconfig, and libinotify; all others are attached to OPTIONS, and so can be disabled...

Anyway, for prefer those really minimal bars, like x11/lemonbar, I've used that Admiral.

You're right, I would have sweared it had a lot of python36/qt5 stuff among build dependencies, but that was rather www/qutebrowser; since the 2 ports were added to the ports' tree around the same period, seems I got confused and my mind swapped place somehow :what::'‑(. Thanks for pointing that out

Last weeks I was playing with FreeBSD on an old drive, today I took the plunge and installed it on the third partition of my first/main drive, multibooting Debian, Arch and FreeBSD. I combined the info found on this forum/google and modified 40_custom in Debian's /etc/grub.d/ directory.

Screenshot_2018-04-07_22-42-51.png

Last weeks I was playing with FreeBSD on an old drive, today I took the plunge and installed it on the third partition of my first/main drive, multibooting Debian, Arch and FreeBSD. I combined the info found on this forum/google and modified 40_custom in Debian's /etc/grub.d/ directory.[/PORT]

I see you decided to directly invoke stage 3 loader, rather than the FreeBSD bootloader, wise choice and well done ;)

Last weeks I was playing with FreeBSD on an old drive, today I took the plunge and installed it on the third partition of my first/main drive, multibooting Debian, Arch and FreeBSD. I combined the info found on this forum/google and modified 40_custom in Debian's /etc/grub.d/ directory.

View attachment 4695
Ditto (similar). I had debian installed first, but then added grub4dos on top of that making a similar addition to 40_custom as yourself so that I can chain from grub4dos menu.lst to the grub2 menu. Grub4dos doesn't support booting OpenBSD bsd.rd whereas grub2 does (I have OpenBSD on my third partition). Second partition is ext3 as that can be mounted as though ext4 under Debian, but mounted as though ext2 by OpenBSD, so that's my 'data' partition where the data can be accessed by either boots (my debian /home folder is also on that second data partition). I find that keeping data and OS's separate like that works well, any time I change a system config I copy that change to the data partition, so have little/no need to backup those partitions (as they're easily replaced), I just backup the data partition.

Still on x11-wm/flwm for the time being, next month will probably be x11-wm/dwm, as per JAW's suggestion:

View attachment 4696

It looks very good. Which DE are you showing in those captures?
I have KDE, but it looks fatality bad on my account no-root. So, first I installed Gnome, but despite it works well, it doesn't have a great look. Or at least, it's not what I expect from a DE.
In my non-root account I have installed Awesome (port: x11-wm/awesome
But, still, I don't know how to quit its default look.
You (or whoever that read this) can throw me a rope about how to personalize it?
Edit: Now I see what DE you're showing...now I'm trying it.

Which DE are you showing in those captures?

Not a DE but a WM (Window Manager): x11-wm/flwm I think.

Btw, I am not Sensucht94. :D

EDIT: you should not run any DE/WM on your root account, more like does not ever log on it unless strictly necessary. In other words, change nothing but the mandatory in there.

x11-wm/awesome is configured using ~/.config/awesome/rc.lua, and like the name suggest the config is all written using lang/lua. So, unless you are lang/lua proficient (or want to become one), this is more like: move on to something else.

If you want to use a tilling WM, x11-wm/i3 is a good one for beginners and that is what all "cool kids" are using now, BUT the port, for some reason, is not creating the default config file as it should (PR 208069). So, if you will be testing it, get the default config somewhere in advance otherwise you will be locked in there.

EDIT.2: and x11-wm/i3 have a very good User Guide.

Back