FreeBSD Screen Shots

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
nice prompt. Any chance of getting it?

Current Screen. FreeBSD+fvwm

I really like this. Can you post your fvwm configuration and where to get the fonts for the menu and that wallpaper.

roddierod said:
I really like this. Can you post your fvwm configuration and where to get the fonts for the menu and that wallpaper.

Thanks roddie. I will package them and post them right here over the weekend. There are a lot of issues that need ironing out as far as the configs are concerned. I got hold of the configs from someone else and currently in the process of removing stuff that i don't like.

As far as the font goes, yes i will package the font along with the configs as well.

I've changed my desktop a bit inspired from some of your screenshots [mostly chonky]

As you see, when I start PC I have almost empty desktop :D
In the bottom right corner you see x11/trayer and net-im/psi in it
in the middle it's sysutils/conky

After thread about Why we should use Opera I tried it again. It turned out that I like it [I've been using it in past] I just love how much can you customize it.

Here you see my main menu :D

I use x11/rxvt-unicode as terminal, and shells/mksh as default user shell. Pretty much everything you see running in top is what I usually run. This is one of reasons I don't like kde.... you can't see end of top there :D
You can also see here app menu, I use this to switch between apps quickly. I used to use extra 2 buttons on my mouse to switch between desks quickly, but that mouse died suddenly :(

I can switch languages using menu, i have also custom shortcuts for this. I can also get this language menu, by simply pressing menu button on keyboard [The one between right win key and right ctrl key] this way i can switch very fast between languages with simple tools :D

Netbeans, I just lauched it to show how do minimized apps look in next screenshot

Netbeans minimized :D

If anyone is interested in my config, it's available here [mini icons aren't included]

EDIT:
oh and if you wonder how long i've been configuring this desktop.... Well for about 2-3 years, ever since I started using fvwm, I tweak/change something almost every month.... however most of hard work [theme and basic configuration] is finished long time ago.
My desktop is extremely customized {actually I wrote everything from zero], and I'm very used to it.

This one is sort of a joke...the WinXP computer my son uses periodically (the one right next to me) has been crashing, so I set a new user on this FreeBSD box then tricked out the xfce4 desktop to look just like his XP desktop, down to the wallpaper...:e

...don't worry: the login I use is "real" xfce complete with all the bells and whistles, but just thought it would be fun to mutate the guest login to look like xp...

freebsdxp.png

Kinda fancy, if you ask me

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath—"The size! The size!"

Back