FreeBSD Screen Shots

CodeBlock said:
Here's my screenies for December. I might do something more Christmas-y later, but for now this works. Swiped the background from someone on the ArchLinux forums.

Here's mine; xmonad + xmobar, urxvt, on.. you guessed it, FreeBSD.
Stole the background from somewhere on last month's thread, or was the month before...not sure.

Clean:

Dirty:

6 hours early. Oh well it's december in some parts of the word. ;)

Ping color provided by sysutils/cw :D

Hi codeblock,
your desktop style is very attractive to me.
Do you need to install Gnome behind this?
Could you explain me spoon feed how to for that?

Thanks

CodeBlock said:
Repasting from two posts up:

Here you go - Like I said I got it off of someone on the ArchLinux forums, who, in-turn, got it from DeviantArt.

I saw it, just expressed my interest in it also and said thanks. Probably could have worded that better, it's late :\

pkhtut said:
Hi codeblock,
your desktop style is very attractive to me.
Do you need to install Gnome behind this?
Could you explain me spoon feed how to for that?

Thanks

About Gnome, not at all, that was made using xmonad (a tiling window manager) and feh to set the background. Terminals are rxvt-unicode.

I'm trying out WMII right now though, I like it so far.

At the moment my desktop is a still taken from the Battlestar Galactica episode Exodus part 2 where the Pegasus crashes into a cylon basestar.

saxon3049 said:
At the moment my desktop is a still taken from the Battlestar Galactica episode Exodus part 2 where the Pegasus crashes into a cylon basestar.

Show me..... I'm Huge sci-fi fan
My wallpapers are almost always something related with space...
except 2 wallpapers...

My config haven't changed much visually from last screenshots

But I've made some big difference in how I start apps, where and how i configure these apps etc...
I made my config more linux compatible... it would now run on linux without big modifications

Hm, I'll have to post my WMII screeny in a few days, I just tried it out, and now I love it but need to finish configuring it. It's really nice though. No Haskell config (while I love xmonad, that's a bit evil), and no config syntax that changes every other release (sorry AwesomeWM).

CodeBlock said:
Can you paste your .Xdefaults too? I can't seem to make the font work with urxvt.

I am using Eterm as my terminal emulator so I do not have (or need) a .Xdefaults configuration.

You should to look into /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz-aleczapka-en/fonts.dir to get the font names in right format for .Xdefaults. That is if xorg loaded the artwiz fonts already.

Edit:

Keep in mind that artwiz fonds do not scale.

Havent had much time for further tweaking lately, but I removed the minimize buttons from the title bars..werent needed, and then changed the title bars so there the same color, active or not. The text just changes color. Havent themed it up for the Holiday yet, but soon. Been stuck on this for a couple weeks now.

Still want to try an even more minimal window manager someday, just havent gotten around to it.

Also had to remove the version number from Conky, didnt like the look of the "8". So I just made the FreeBSD, and Beastie bigger.

@Vermaden

What are you running AIX on? I'd kind of like to and a IBM PowerPC to my collection, but never got around to it.

I must admit, I do like CDE. I use it with Solaris 10 rather than the Java Desktop (gnome) whenever I can.

The closest you can get on FreeBSD is using MWM (from openmotif port)

For FreeBSD I am thinking of installing a really old version of gnome to get that speed boost :p

roddierod said:
@Vermaden

What are you running AIX on? I'd kind of like to and a IBM PowerPC to my collection, but never got around to it.

My company is running Oracle database on one LPAR and Tivoli Storage Manager on other LPAR, but POWER5/POWER6 boxes are not cheap unfortunelly.

Back