FreeBSD Screen Shots

edwtjo said:
Well both the right side and the left side run /usr/ports/sysutils/conky

are you running two chonkies?
Do you use double buffering? And if so, doesn't it glich (or something like that) for you?

While I'm not having any big difference in screenshots since last time, I wanted to share my new experience with FVWM

for last 2 days I've been playing with FvwmM4 module, and I'm amazed.
I rewrote my entire config so it's now preprocessed with FvwmM4 and then loaded in Fvwm, this way I can make more portable (and easier to port) configuration, replace lots of sh, with m4, speed up, loading/reloading.

If all that sounds great, then check this out:
my config, can adjust to different screen sizes without need of editing it. All parameters are calculated with m4 during load/reload :d

It even calculates size for terminal, when you want to run it across entire screen

http://github.com/killasmurf86/ks86-dotfiles/blob/master/.fvwm/config.m4

to use this config, in ~/.xinitrc you need to change
Code:
[B]exec fvwm[/B]
to
Code:
[B]exec fvwm -cmd "FvwmM4 -m4-prefix-defines config.m4" > $HOME/.fvwm/log 2>&1[/B]
like this

you can check out my entire config at http://github.com/killasmurf86/ks86-dotfiles

NOTE: it's still pretty new config, it probably have bugs, and is not well tested on different shapes and sizes of monitors, but it should work.

NOTE: to test FvwmM4 generated fvwm2rc result, press super_l+shift+mouse1 on desktop (super_l is the one with windows icon), and pick Check m4 result
NOTE on NOTE: for some PC's it might not work, because Editor (in my case vim) doesn't wait for Fvwm4M to finish, but on my pc so it happens, that by the time vim loads the file, it's already fully generated :D

Fvwm Rocks

EDIT:
oh, and if you think that my current fvwm config is big, (1173 lines) it used to be much bigger and uglier (1431 lines)

sk8harddiefast said:
Saint0fCloud & Daisuke_Aramaki what tools run on the left window?

You mean the details script? It's nothing more than a combination of mundane commands in a script that would give you information about the system.

@SaintOfCloud: Nice, very nice. Makes me wish I could actually get scrotwm working on PC/BSD... it's the one thing I miss since leaving Linux (well, that, and zsh+rxvt working properly together). :(

purgatori said:
@SaintOfCloud: Nice, very nice. Makes me wish I could actually get scrotwm working on PC/BSD... it's the one thing I miss since leaving Linux (well, that, and zsh+rxvt working properly together). :(

You kidding me? Scrotwm works absolutely fine on my FreeBSD box, and so do zsh and rxvt. Looks like you screwed setting them up.

@Guys: I wasn't saying that either rxvt or scrotwm don't work on Free/BSD, period -- but rather, they don't work for me. I encountered the same bug that others have encountered with the scrotwm port where the key-bindings don't work and, unlike others, the suggested fixes/workarounds haven't worked for me. Likewise, the suggested fixes/workarounds for another problem concerning the HOME + END keys, and key-combinations such as CTRL+R in rxvt+zsh have not resolved the problem on my machine. Obviously something is wrong somewhere in my config -- I just haven't been able to figure out where. So please, don't fly off the handle.

Anyway, I'm now using Xmonad, which behaves enough like scrotwm to keep me happy:

I'm also using mksh now instead of zsh, since the combination of rxvt+mksh doesn't seem to lead to the same error I encountered with rxvt+zsh.

@purgatori

If using scrotwm is your priority, don't you think going the xmonad route is far fetched, with the haskell dependency and all? Dwm would have been a better choice.

Anyway you just mention that you encountered a bug using rxvt and zsh, related to only keybindings?

mksh is always a great choice though.

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
@purgatori

If using scrotwm is your priority, don't you think going the xmonad route is far fetched, with the haskell dependency and all? Dwm would have been a better choice.

Anyway you just mention that you encountered a bug using rxvt and zsh, related to only keybindings?

mksh is always a great choice though.

The Haskell dependency and config file is certainly less than ideal, but the configuration method in dwm certainly isn't great (for a user like me, at least), either. At least with xmonad, it behaves almost identically like scrotwm by default anyway, so I don't really have to do much configuration in order to get it to do what I want.

And yep, it's just a keybinding issue with rxvt+zsh. Rxvt with other shells is fine, and zsh with other terminal emulators is fine as well... but, for some reason I've been unable to determine, they don't play nice together on my system :( But like you say, mksh is a nice shell anyway, and I'm really starting to like it, even though my zsh config (which I got from you, actually :p ) was pretty sweet.

Back