FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

dekloper

No. I'd say it's closely related to the topic of this thread. Why do some people want a VPS? They want privacy and/or anonymity, therefore they set up services like tor(1) on these VMs.
I absolutely agree with you. people (literate and able to reason logically) do not want to be manipulated (with the help of "social networks", aka facebook, etc) and be at the mercy of massons-Satanists.

Mjölnir

Daemon

You're forgetting the IMEI number of the phone.
That identifies the modem module inside my laptop. Thus I wrote: change the modem module. And of course the laptop, due to the uuid. Besides that -- the hardest part would be to change one's habits... We can be identified by our online activities.
Not sure about German laws but in the Netherlands you're registered and your IP plus identity is sent to a government agency (CIOT; sorry Dutch only). No provider will openly admit this but they're bound by law to do this (I've worked for a couple of hosting providers).
Our laws should be very much the same because they have to comply to EU laws. You set up a tor(1) proxy, I do so, our friend X does, he uses yours, you use mine & I use X's. And we select the final proxy in the chain carefully. Voilà. The whole tor(1)-proxy & VPN thing is a matter of trust. And we have Freifunk ;)

neel

Developer

The reality is that unlike the 2000s and early 2010s, finding a FreeBSD VPS isn't too hard anymore. Not as easy as Linux, but still.

Now, even megaclouds like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft have FreeBSD Images, and many Tier-2 providers like DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr, etc. do as well. There are still many providers who don't, such as Scaleway, or make it hard, like Linode.

In the past, it was niche providers who offered FreeBSD VPSes. In the 2000s, it was mostly small Jail hosts like JohnCompanies. By the early 2010s it was from providers like BuyVM when full hardware hypervisors came, but at a premium when compared to the then-common OpenVZ and Xen. Then, bigger providers didn't even touch FreeBSD in any form, and FreeBSD on AWS then was literally a fantasy.

It's much easier now since megaclouds have FreeBSD options, unless you hate yourself and go with Oracle. And smaller providers have gone all-KVM, making it easier to run FreeBSD or any BSD.

Disclaimer: I work at Microsoft, but not on Azure or Hyper-V.

alfikmik

Alright, I did now throw some money into that one-armed-bandit.
And I am very curious what will happen next (never had anything to do with hosting before).
I've got some servers from them, mostly xeon 4c/8t RAM >= 16GB from sth about 2 years and they're works fine. They have some FreeBSD iso for install but latest one i have to install via ISO mounted via net (some of panels let do this) or I install that what they have and after fresh installation do immediately upgrade to version that i need.

Last edited:

PMc

Daemon

First impressions:
------------------

After the piece is delivered, there is an option "reinstall", where various OS are offered, among them FreeBSD. There one has to fill in a username and a password.

Soon it answers to ping, and also to ssh, as something called "poneybsd" - but no login appears to be possible.
Then choosing "Boot mode" -> "boot in normal mode" -> "Boot" seems to reboot, and now it appears with the configured hostname and one can login (new ssh host key). One can also su to root.

FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p13 #0: Tue Sep 1 06:56:51 UTC 2020 root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Slightly late, but properly patched. Not too bad as a starting.

There is no firewall active, and lots and lots of hackers appear in auth.log. (My home IP is actually located at Hetzner - and it's not as bad there.)

I didn't find a console - maybe there is none provided?

The disk is partitioned as
2G -root-
3G swap
227G /usr
227G /var
472G -empty-
using MBR, 1 partition and a disklabel.

Without console that will be difficult to change. (The linux images have a partition dialogue in the web interface.)

There is an option "request ipmi session", but that does just create a ticket.

Power off with "halt -p" works.

"Boot in rescue mode" results in a helptext: one gets told a username and password to connect with ssh. New host key. It's poneybsd again. The password does not work (booted FBSD-11.0). Now booting FBSD-10.1 - here the password works.
Helptext says "use sudo command for root privs", but there is no sudo installed:

>Feb 1 01:10:19 poneybsd pkg: indexinfo-0.3.1 installed
>Feb 1 01:10:19 poneybsd pkg: readline-7.0.3_1 installed
>Feb 1 01:10:19 poneybsd pkg: libffi-3.2.1_2 installed
>Feb 1 01:10:19 poneybsd pkg: gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1 installed
>Feb 1 01:10:24 poneybsd pkg: python27-2.7.15 installed
>Feb 1 01:10:24 poneybsd pkg: py27-setuptools-40.4.3 installed
>Feb 1 01:10:25 poneybsd pkg: py27-pip-9.0.3 installed

Hmm, that doesn't help me much.

System looks like this now:
Code:
Filesystem 1K-blocks   Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md0       61319  52481    3933    93%    /
devfs              1      1       0   100%    /dev
tmpfs        3439404     24 3439380     0%    /tmp
tmpfs        3667768 228388 3439380     6%    /usr
tmpfs        3502216  62836 3439380     2%    /var/db/pkg
tmpfs        3457124  17744 3439380     1%    /var/cache/pkg

Not sure how that tmpfs trick is done, but the system's disk stays closed and one could now work it over - if one had rights to do so.

>Aide et documentation : http://documentation.dedibox.fr
>Console de gestion : http://console.dedibox.fr

I don't speak french. :(

One can also boot a Linux as the rescue mode - and then, wow, that has a sudo!
Alright, giving it a second try - the 11.0 rescue image now allows login, and voila, there is a sudo! :)

So lets explore the production installation:
The initial root password that one has provided for installation is now placed into a file in /tmp. World readable.

The sshd_config allows root login.

> ifconfig_igb0="DHCP"

Oh well, if they insist...

resolv.conf:
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> local_unbound_enable="YES"

In a compute center??

Lets look at the disk:
Code:
  9 Power_On_Hours          -O--C-   038   038   000    -    27520
12 Power_Cycle_Count       -O--CK   100   100   000    -    62
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count -O--CK   100   100   000    -    24
193 Load_Cycle_Count        -O--C-   085   085   000    -    153703
194 Temperature_Celsius     -O----   125   125   000    -    48 (Min/Max 21/61)
240 Head_Flying_Hours       -O--CK   040   040   000    -    26557
241 Total_LBAs_Written      -O--CK   100   100   000    -    51734732237
242 Total_LBAs_Read         -O--CK   098   098   000    -    171273057725

Current Temperature:                    48 Celsius
Power Cycle Min/Max Temperature:     44/48 Celsius
Lifetime    Min/Max Temperature:     21/61 Celsius
Specified Max Operating Temperature:    42 Celsius
Under/Over Temperature Limit Count:   0/0

And I thought only I had an overtemp problem here at my location (now no longer, I built a sufficient fan array controlled by the smart data).

Next point: where are we actually located?
This would equate to the (in)famous AS12876, better known as poneytelecom.eu...

Next item: The CMOS-wallclock. It's just broken, empty, out-of-order. (See the thread about unbound.)

So far, so good. I mean, what do we expect as dedicated server hosting for 5.50€ a month? It seems they are sold out now, and I'm really happy I got one, and I hope it will not break during the next, say, five years or so.

alfikmik

I didn't find a console - maybe there is none provided?
You should request for IPMI session (in manage section of panel) first one is as ticket request, but later You can access IPMI on demand.

alfikmik

I don't speak french. :(
They are from canada and there is support, english language support, but they have servers locations in many countries. In other hand is sth like google translator ;-)