FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

trev

Aspiring Daemon

Or it suggests something on their side f*cked up and my VM got reset to a default state since I ordered a Debian VM then installed FreeBSD using the ISO. But whatever, I'm now happily running several FreeBSD virtual machines at other providers.
Alert: Operator error!

If you "ordered a Debian VM" you got a Debian VM. The option you needed to order was "BYO ISO".

Given how popular FreeBSD has become, Binary Lane also now have an option for FreeBSD 12.

neel

Interesting that at the beginning of the 2010s, BSD VPSes were rare and only found on niche providers. Most "mainstream" VPS providers focused on Linux, mainly because of the fallacies of Xen paravirtualization and the lack of resource limiting on Jails at the time (pre- rctl).

Now, we have the Tier-1 clouds like Amazon and Microsoft allowing BSD on cloud instances, and even smaller companies like DigitalOcean and Linode doing the same. Heck, on any KVM or XenHVM VPS, you can install BSD if they allow an ISO mount.

However, when the clouds were built, they were MVPs (minimum viable products). They needed to get something that worked. In that case, you only supported Linux (or Windows in the case of Azure). And then you add other OSes if you succeed.

However, if you wanted an Illumos-based cloud, maybe there was Joyent, but not anymore. There are a few other Tier-2 and Tier 3 "clouds" using SmartOS, but I don't remember their names.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Now, we have the Tier-1 clouds like Amazon and Microsoft allowing BSD on cloud instances
There's a big incentive for these companies to support BSD (and FreeBSD in particular). Lots of commercial virtual appliances for NetScaler and NetApp for example are based on FreeBSD. So if you can make FreeBSD work it's very likely you can support those virtual appliances too.

ctaranotte

I am using Contabo.

For 4.99 Euro/month (plus a 4.99 Euro setup fee), you will get a KVM VPS with:

Four core CPU of a Intel Xeon E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or/and 4114 processor
8 GB RAM.
200 GB disk space (100% SSD)
200 Mbit/s Unlimited traffic.

They do have a FreeBSD 12.0 option.

The downside is that they have only German IPs.

kjsweeney

Of interest to Australian FBSDers -- https://www.binarylane.com.au/ -- I moved one of my Vultr servers to them a few months ago and have been quite happy.

Starts at $A 4/month including GST for 768MB memory, 20GB SSD, 500G data transfer, IPv4 and IPv6

You do need to upload your FBSD ISO.

Hosted by NEXTDC B1, M1, and S1 facilities in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.
Is there a Australian domain registrar you can recommend?
I am looking to setting up a personal website on FreeBSD.

Cheers
Sweeney

trev

Aspiring Daemon

The $A 4 Binary Lane VPS now boasts 1024MB Memory, 20GB SSD Storage and 1000GB Data Transfer.

As for an Australian domain registrar, nope. I've been using NameCheap.com since 2012 as they were considerably cheaper than any local registrars at the time. I haven't checked the locals lately.

jomonger

Isn't it that if I can load .iso to vm then can I install most systems (including FreeBSD)?

jmos

Isn't it that if I can load .iso to vm then can I install most systems (including FreeBSD)?
If you can load a ISO image you'll also have to connect to a terminal while installing - and so far I haven't seen a remote login to a boot screen. But if you're able to upload and boot a ISO image the hosters I've seen provide a web frontend or VNC server for that case.

jomonger

Yeah.
I can boot in vnc now in my provider and it has option to preinstall FreeBSD . But I need to change in future becouse these servers are only in eu (webh.pl). Thx for info.