FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

Hi guys,

I must say that it's getting harder and harder to run FreeBSD on a VPS by the day.

Digital Ocean dropped the support of FreeBSD a few days ago.
Linode support FreeBSD but still no version 13.1 ...
Vultr do not provide FreeBSD anymore. It still seems to be possible to setup FreeBSD using a custom image with an extra cost.
Scaleway do not support FreeBSD anymore.
OVH do not support FreeBSD anymore.

And if you take the page https://www.freebsd.org/commercial/isp/ most of them do not support FreeBSD anymore ....

Any thoughts ? Are we getting forced to use Google/AWS or Azure to use FreeBSD? (I am being provocative here).

Any thoughts ?
I still have a FreeBSD VPS at Tilaa.

A quick look at their page also shows that FreeBSD is still supported for new instances. No problems at all. Great service, great people. Based in the Netherlands.

And the last time I talked to their support team they certainly knew their way around FreeBSD and could provide detailed FreeBSD specific help/information.

(I am being provocative here).
And wrong

What I plan to do is drop any medium-to-small providers that stop supporting Freebsd like a hot rock. If that means I'll wind up on AWS, so be it. AWS won't notice us one way or the other, and it seems the community support there is pretty good.

And wrong

What I plan to do is drop any medium-to-small providers that stop supporting Freebsd like a hot rock. If that means I'll wind up on AWS, so be it. AWS won't notice us one way or the other, and it seems the community support there is pretty good.
That is true but FreeBSD is no longer available in the installable OS despite the advertising ...

It is still a concerned to see less and less provider ...

Hm... is this about support? What kind of support? Usually I create an image, and then I bulk that image onto the available disk, and hope that it boots. (Usually it does.)

Now concerning support: I have machines at Scaleway. Not KVM, real metal. Once I had a machine that was advertised to run FreeBSD, but there was no FreeBSD install available. So I complained to the support - not because I need the FreeBSD install, but because a man must stand to his word, and if FreeBSD install is advertised, then I expect FreeBSD install to be available. Guess what the support told me: build yourself an image and bulk it up.

No, I don't think it is a good situation. And I don't know the reason - maybe the reason is that it is generally known that FreeBSD people are skillfull and can help themselves? Or maybe FreeBSD should have better advertising?

And then there are situations where I would need support - I mean real support. For instance, since Rel. 13 my KVMs tend to occasionally just hang somewhere after the "Timecounter" line, and I don't know why. Or, at one certain provider the KVM freezes in the very moment when one closes the vncviewer. One can open and close the vncviewer to access the machine at runtime without problem, but when booting with vncviewer open, one cannot close it later. So the trick for bringing it up to productuon is: boot into singleuser, fix up everything, then enter "reboot" and immediately close the vncviewer before the boot menu is reached. Things like this should be fixed, but trying to explain that to support is beyond my acceptable frustration level...

I guess I must be dreaming

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 4.42.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 4.43.07 PM.png

When Digital Ocean stopped supporting FreeBSD I went looking for alternatives. So far I've tried Amazon EC2, Arpnetworks, Linode, Vultr all of which seem to do a great job of supporting FreeBSD. I need IPV6 and there was a glitch or two along the way but in the end all four supported my FreeBSD and IPV6 needs fine.

In another thread I listed some pros and cons of the four services.

And then there are situations where I would need support - I mean real support. For instance, since Rel. 13 my KVMs tend to occasionally just hang somewhere after the "Timecounter" line, and I don't know why.
Ahh - that was a late arrival, after RC6: 9470a2f7da488f3c14051e39691fbfddcf2aa0fe

When Digital Ocean stopped supporting FreeBSD I went looking for alternatives. So far I've tried Amazon EC2, Arpnetworks, Linode, Vultr all of which seem to do a great job of supporting FreeBSD. I need IPV6 and there was a glitch or two along the way but in the end all four supported my FreeBSD and IPV6 needs fine.

In another thread I listed some pros and cons of the four services.

I prefer bare metal but when digital ocean made their announcement I deployed a bunch of em. I created backups and have had good luck converting them into new FreeBSD systems. Not really sure why they did what they did..