FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

Or it suggests something on their side f*cked up and my VM got reset to a default state since I ordered a Debian VM then installed FreeBSD using the ISO. But whatever, I'm now happily running several FreeBSD virtual machines at other providers.

Alert: Operator error!

If you "ordered a Debian VM" you got a Debian VM. The option you needed to order was "BYO ISO".

Given how popular FreeBSD has become, Binary Lane also now have an option for FreeBSD 12.

Interesting that at the beginning of the 2010s, BSD VPSes were rare and only found on niche providers. Most "mainstream" VPS providers focused on Linux, mainly because of the fallacies of Xen paravirtualization and the lack of resource limiting on Jails at the time (pre- rctl).

Now, we have the Tier-1 clouds like Amazon and Microsoft allowing BSD on cloud instances, and even smaller companies like DigitalOcean and Linode doing the same. Heck, on any KVM or XenHVM VPS, you can install BSD if they allow an ISO mount.

However, when the clouds were built, they were MVPs (minimum viable products). They needed to get something that worked. In that case, you only supported Linux (or Windows in the case of Azure). And then you add other OSes if you succeed.

However, if you wanted an Illumos-based cloud, maybe there was Joyent, but not anymore. There are a few other Tier-2 and Tier 3 "clouds" using SmartOS, but I don't remember their names.

Now, we have the Tier-1 clouds like Amazon and Microsoft allowing BSD on cloud instances
There's a big incentive for these companies to support BSD (and FreeBSD in particular). Lots of commercial virtual appliances for NetScaler and NetApp for example are based on FreeBSD. So if you can make FreeBSD work it's very likely you can support those virtual appliances too.

I am using Contabo.

For 4.99 Euro/month (plus a 4.99 Euro setup fee), you will get a KVM VPS with:

Four core CPU of a Intel Xeon E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or/and 4114 processor
8 GB RAM.
200 GB disk space (100% SSD)
200 Mbit/s Unlimited traffic.

They do have a FreeBSD 12.0 option.

The downside is that they have only German IPs.

Of interest to Australian FBSDers -- https://www.binarylane.com.au/ -- I moved one of my Vultr servers to them a few months ago and have been quite happy.

Starts at $A 4/month including GST for 768MB memory, 20GB SSD, 500G data transfer, IPv4 and IPv6

You do need to upload your FBSD ISO.

Hosted by NEXTDC B1, M1, and S1 facilities in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.

Is there a Australian domain registrar you can recommend?
I am looking to setting up a personal website on FreeBSD.

Cheers
Sweeney

The $A 4 Binary Lane VPS now boasts 1024MB Memory, 20GB SSD Storage and 1000GB Data Transfer.

As for an Australian domain registrar, nope. I've been using NameCheap.com since 2012 as they were considerably cheaper than any local registrars at the time. I haven't checked the locals lately.

Isn't it that if I can load .iso to vm then can I install most systems (including FreeBSD)?
If you can load a ISO image you'll also have to connect to a terminal while installing - and so far I haven't seen a remote login to a boot screen. But if you're able to upload and boot a ISO image the hosters I've seen provide a web frontend or VNC server for that case.

Yeah.
I can boot in vnc now in my provider and it has option to preinstall FreeBSD . But I need to change in future becouse these servers are only in eu (webh.pl). Thx for info.

Hello, guys!
And are there completely free hosting offers (even with the minimum possible resources of hardware\storage)?
Nothing comes for free.

However, there are fairly cheap offers. For example, there is netcup.eu (targeted at European customers) where you can get a minimum virtual server for about 2.50 €/month. They offer FreeBSD preinstalled, but you can also install from your own ISO image.

To offer free hosting someone has at least to pay for the resources (hardware, bandwidth, power, rack space, licenses). Some companies give free shared hosting to advertise their paid plans or/and they put advertisements on the websites that use their free hosting plan.

FreeBSD is free for everyone but accepts donations ( https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/ ) from companies / individuals.

Hello, guys!
And are there completely free hosting offers (even with the minimum possible resources of hardware\storage)?
Yes, cloud VM but not VPS. IIRC, these offers are restricted in traffic volume, storage & CPU time. But enough for a personal project. Of course you can forget about privacy, because the hoster can easily do a man-in-the-middle crack. If you want privacy, have a look at posteo.de (any top level domain ending available) & mailbox.org.

FreeBSD is free for everyone but accepts donations ( https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/ ) from companies / individuals.
I fully agree with this statement of the question...

But if we proceed from Your logic, the developer's intelligence also requires "power".. at least delicious and healthy food...
To offer free hosting someone has at least to pay for the resources (hardware, bandwidth, power, rack space, licenses).
To the best of my financial ability, I am ready to do this.. :)

If I am not wrong FreeBSD has only one or two paid developers from the FreeBSD foundation. All other developers work for free because it's a hobby for them, or get paid from their employers to do some FreeBSD work.

If you want privacy, have a look at posteo.de (any top level domain ending available) & mailbox.org.
They're not really anonymous, though, because you can only pay by credit card, SEPA transfer or similar. It would be a different story if they accepted anonymous payment, for example PaySafeCard (you can get these anonymously at Aldi or Saturn, for example).

They're not really anonymous, though, because you can only pay by credit card, SEPA transfer or similar. It would be a different story if they accepted anonymous payment, for example PaySafeCard (you can get these anonymously at Aldi or Saturn, for example).
No, that's not true. They do more than accepting anonymous payment. In fact, you can pay cash (or sent a courier) & they do not have any connection in their papers & system's setup between your account and your payment. Or you can give s/o else the money in cash and s/he can pay by bank transfer, credit card etc.pp.
EDIT They (at least Posteo) do not store personal data (name & adress) of their customers. For electronic payments, obviously they have to store the metadata to comply to tax laws, but there is no link to my mail account. The only reasons why I'm not anonymous is that I changed my e-mail stored at various sites (e.g. this forum) instead of creating a new account, and use the same laptop (host uuid). So the admins & for shure Ggl , telcos & secret services can 1+1=2. If you switch to an anonymous e-mail provider like the above, change your machine & online habits including cuting all connections to your past, you're anonymous IMHO. If you then use tor(1), you're invisible, if you select the tor routers carefully.

No, that's not true. They do more than accepting anonymous payment. In fact, you can pay cash (or sent a courier) & they do not have any connection in their papers & system's setup between your account and your payment. Or you can give s/o else the money in cash and s/he can pay by bank transfer, credit card etc.pp.
Well, it probably depends on what level of anonymity you need. For higher requirements, anonymous digital payment like paysafecard is the way to go. Tracking it down is very difficult, close to impossible. It can only be used for paying small amounts, of course, but that shouldn’t be a problem for a mail provider who charges just a few €.

I didn’t see that the two sites you mentioned accept cash (it wasn’t listed, I think), but cash isn’t as anonymous as one might think anyway. Every form of physical payment leaves traces. Of course, it also depends on who you think is after you. Or who you think is after you (note the different emphasis).

And of course you should also take other precautions beside the method of payment. For example, you shouldn’t access the service from your internet uplink at home. You can also use tor, but that comes with certain other pitfalls that you need to be aware of.

This is becoming off-topic here, though … sorry for that.

[...] cash isn’t as anonymous as one might think anyway. Every form of physical payment leaves traces. Of course, it also depends on who you think is after you. Or who you think is after you (note the different emphasis).
Fingerprints? I take the cab driver to a shop, I buy s/th, let him take the odd money & send him to pay for me in cash. On the 2nd topic: unfortunately, they are after us all... Why is Edward Snowden in Russia? There are numerous other news (or so-called fake news, depends on your mindset) about topics like this. Plus it's commonly known what the business model of so-called social media companies & Giggle is.
And of course you should also take other precautions beside the method of payment. For example, you shouldn’t access the service from your internet uplink at home.
I'm dialing in via WWAN, all I had to do is change the modem module & get another prepaid SIM card, e.g. from s/o who gives it to me and when he's asked says it's lost. In case of a military coup d'état I would steal one.
This is becoming off-topic here, though … sorry for that.
No. I'd say it's closely related to the topic of this thread. Why do some people want a VPS? They want privacy and/or anonymity, therefore they set up services like tor(1) on these VMs.

'm dialing in via WWAN, all I had to do is change the modem module & get another prepaid SIM card
You're forgetting the IMEI number of the phone.

Why do some people want a VPS?
To run my services on the internet with a provider that can give me 99.999% uptime guarantees. And I don't have to spend an arm and a leg buying and maintaining the required hardware.

They want privacy and/or anonymity
Not sure about German laws but in the Netherlands you're registered and your IP plus identity is sent to a government agency (CIOT; sorry Dutch only). No provider will openly admit this but they're bound by law to do this (I've worked for a couple of hosting providers).

Back