Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

It has been interesting to see how European policy has affected the entire Internet.
I agree with the sentiment but the cat was out of the bag around 1997 and it ain't going back. Ever.
So many people volunteer their privacy while few try and evade.
It's big business now.
How much funding does Mozilla get from Google aka AdSense?
Pweheee thats alot of zeros.

I feel offended and you should feel bad about me feeling offended! #CancelPhishfry !!!!111eleven
Why?! Switzerland is not Europe, as Mexico is not America.

Really, I read not long ago something like that America closed its borders to Mexico.

Really, I read not long ago something like that America closed its borders to Mexico.
There are countless examples of reasons the standard 'merican should sue his high school for their geography fails (also, they do not have a monopoly on uneducated people. Those are everywhere). A friend of mine had a nice half hour at a pharmacy trying to explain to the clerk that Europe was not south of Mexico. Because, you have water left&right, north is Canada, further north is Santa. So everything else has to be south of Mexico. Stands to reason... I admire his patience and self control.

Last time I checked Swizerland was in Europe. It was not in the EU, but still in Europe - unless they mounted giant rockets to the mountains and went to space with the whole place.

Phishfry - also, only because some/many/most idiots post their complete life online does not make the rest fair game. The GDPR is about that. And yes, it makes me feel better, but who trusts their feelings in that matter anyway?

Phishfry - also, only because some/many/most idiots post their complete life online does not make the rest fair game. The GDPR is about that. And yes, it makes me feel better,
No, it is not. Just the opposite: the GDPR is about getting rid of free information on the net, and about furthering monopoly structures. We have seen a lot of enthusiast/hobby websites stating that they had to close due to GDPR.
Apparently, the main intention is to drive all people to facebook etc.

OTOH, big shops are perfectly allowed to collect the private data that is necessary for con-artists to perform their scams. The major german telco, for instance, requires you, in order to read your bills or file a disruption incident, to first provide information about the profession of your grandparents, the name of your first girlfriend, or similar, which is entirely unrelated to the business and is only useful for the grandparent scam and similar.

The major german telco, for instance, requires you, in order to read your bills or file a disruption incident, to first provide information about the profession of your grandparents
I'm no attorney/lawyer - however, wouldn't that warrant a filing with the "Datenschutzbehörde"? The way I understand GDPR, they're not supposed to ask for data that is relevant to the business at hand and are also not allowed to retain it any longer than necessary - at least that would be the meaning of the law, I assume?
Unfortunately, I have to admit that my own past dealings with the German DSB were rather unhelpful - whether that is due to lack of motivation, insufficient manpower or other reasons, I will probably never know.

One would think they'd be going for the "big fish" compliance first because they'll make the most in fines. Don't know if that's happening at all?

Switzerland is part of Europe the same way Mexico is part of America. However, Switzerland is not part of the EU similar to how Mexico is not part of the USA.
This is basically geography vs. geopolitics.

While here, let's not forget that the USA is basically a toddler in terms of political history :p

While here, let's not forget that the USA is basically a toddler in terms of political history
I read it in the "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung", perhaps the most serious and respectable
newspaper in Germany, not long ago. One hears continuously "Amerika" for U.S.A. and
"Amerikanisch" for the language of "Amerika". Normally one tolerates it in informal speech,
but I think here they go too far.

I found with google a similar, older article:

It speaks about "Amerika" and people that come walking to "Amerika" from somewhere else
and celebrate that they reached "Amerika" for first time in their life. Ridiculous!

We have seen a lot of enthusiast/hobby websites stating that they had to close due to GDPR.
Has anyone been keeping a list of these websites?

Apparently, the main intention is to drive all people to facebook etc.
I dont understand how anyone could replace the protocols required for our computers to communicate such that access would fundamentally change. I also don't think a walled garden (for most) has to be a terrible thing.

I'm no attorney/lawyer - however, wouldn't that warrant a filing with the "Datenschutzbehörde"?
That would miss the point. The telco was traditionally government-owned, and still works like a "Behörde" itself. The top ranks are resigned party-officials, and these won't bother one of themselves. The german railroad company is still government-owned and follows the same practise of collecting data for the grandparent scam.

Also, the telco is allowed to make it's own law. I had an incident a few years ago: the telco decided that I should consume more bandwidth (without ever asking or informing me), and therefore switched my uplink to a faster and more expensive protocol (without my consent or me even knowing).
The problem was, I dont have any hardware that would understand the new protocol. So, in fact, my network and telephone was just disconnected. And after complaining, the telco told me they are unable to revert the configuration to the contractually agreed one.
So I went to the attorney, and they told me that one cannot do anything in such a case, because the telco has created a special law for themselves, and only very vew lawyers are versed in that law, and these are employed by the telco itself.
(Finally I had to complain to the telco management to get back to my contractual linkup, after a few weeks.)

The way I understand GDPR, they're not supposed to ask for data that is relevant to the business at hand and are also not allowed to retain it any longer than necessary - at least that would be the meaning of the law, I assume?
Well, thats what you may get told, by teachers and party officials. And thats alright, because they must make sure that you vote as expected in the next elections.
But then why should anybody care about the "Pöbel", except how to exploit it? Why should anybody make a law that does not profit themselves?

Have you ever heard that MasterCard was punished for publishing their customer database in the darknet? No. Only the program was stopped, which means the customers were ripped off the awards they had already obtained, in addition to publishing their addresses in the darknet. And nowadays MasterCard runs a new similar program.

Once there was a Do-It-Yourself paper, about how to write HTML and how to create your own website. It was later extended with a chapter about CSS, and I think even Javascript was added. The idea was: you do not need to go to facebook, you can write your webpage by yourself as well.
And this is the actual concern of the GDPR: we must get rid of these people who can write their own webpages. Because otherwise, if it gets publicly known that one can write one's own webpage, then it might become obvious that facebook etc. is just superfluous. And what then with all the big money?
So, make the process of running a webpage so administratively complicated, and make the people so frightened they might violate some law, that nobody will do it anymore and all publish their stuff with the big providers like YT and FB, where they can easily be censored. That's the purpose.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that my own past dealings with the German DSB were rather unhelpful - whether that is due to lack of motivation, insufficient manpower or other reasons, I will probably never know.

That's not difficult to figure out: institutions do not exist for the people. Institutions to exist so that merited party-officials can be situated there, and the public pays them a lucrative income.
Have you ever read Franz Kafka, "Der Prozess"?

See, at first, we built the Internet, and we did it good. And it was a scientific work.
And those in power looked at it in astonishment, and had no idea of the whereabouts, but started to phantasize about making money with it. And that became the first new-market-bubble, around 2000.
Then, they started to adapt, and started to build things that actually work (somehow, more or less): amazon, google, facebook, etc. And occasionally, they would still ask us how the things were designed and how they are supposed to work correctly.
But now, since about 2017, the money-making machine runs by itself. We, the engineers, and the standards are no longer needed. The RFCs are (sorry) fucked off, Jon Postel's law, "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send", is fucked off.
In fact, the Internet is no longer needed and is fucked off.
Now there is only a couple of big players, and they don't need standards, they don't need interoperability, because they want oligarchy, they want to make the rules all by themselves, and they want the governments to pay them their delivery infrastructure.
And the governments are, as always, all head into arse of the big business.

So, there are only two players left: the gang of corporations and governments, i.e. those in power, and You. Because the others, the consumers, they only need a new smartphone, they are NPC and don't count.

Want more proof? Again, the german telco, has given me in writing that they censor e-mails.
Specifically, they allow their customers only to receive e-mails from commercial spam providers. They do not allow them to receive e-mail sent from private people.

Now You say, ouch, we're just Berkeley hackers, we want to play with the technology, we don't want to consider politics! Well then, fine, pay the bill. Because You're the ones who will be done away with next: it is not acceptable that people can modify the code running on their computers.

Time to say that my actual (unpublished) SeaMonkey port 2.53.17b1 compiles without having a Python 2.x package installed :) So I expect the so far build dependency lang/python27 to be historic from now on.
Having python, in a fixed version, as a BUILD dependency is what makes me wonder what's going on there...

Time to say that my actual (unpublished) SeaMonkey port 2.53.17b1 compiles without having a Python 2.x package installed :) So I expect the so far build dependency lang/python27 to be historic from now on.
IIRC python2 EOL was the reason for removal (and only a few "very important" ports still have carte blanche ... horrible enough ...), so: Wouldn't it make sense now to open a PR to resurrect it officially?

Its been a crazy 4 year ride. That is for sure.
It has been worth sticking with a FreeBSD desktop for this transition thanks to jmos
I consider it a learning experience. Dealing with in tree Firefox and SeaMonkey on the same machine.

Lots of this hacky crap:
ln /usr/local/lib/libicuuc.so.73.2 /usr/local/lib/libicuuc.so.72
ln /usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.73.2 /usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.72

I am willing in any fashion to help with a revived SeaMonkey port.
I don't know if I am technically capable of maintaining such a large project but I am willing to try if needed.

Well back on topic somewhat I have volunteered to help here to get SeaMonkey back in ports tree.

As I understand for ports submission a lint run show be done.
Has that been tested by anyone here? Does it pass? I have to read more about lint for ports and porting.

I am looking at jmos work on release version and the port Makefile

I would like to test support for more platforms besides amd64
# as long we do not know more on that topic...
ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= amd64

I don't personally use aarch64 for desktop usage but I am sure there are users that do.
So it would be nice to test other arch's especially the beloved i386/32-bit at least until 15 hits..
Any other requests? Any armv7 desktop users out there?

I am looking at jmos work on release version and the port Makefile

I would like to test support for more platforms besides amd64

First things first? Getting amd64 going stably would be hugely appreciated at least by a merry crew of diehards ...

Perhaps even OP trev will come back .. I expect he's still lurking <&^}=

I don't personally use aarch64 for desktop usage but I am sure there are users that do.
So it would be nice to test other arch's especially the beloved i386/32-bit at least until 15 hits..
Any other requests? Any armv7 desktop users out there?

You're piling your work on. Once amd64 is working steadily, others should be easier - though may have arch-specific issues.

Good luck!

Back