Solved WINE on FreeBSD 13 - Am I Just Wasting My Time?

(GOOD QUESTION: WHY IS IT EVEN ASKING FOR 32-BIT SOFTWARE AT THIS POINT? THIS SHOULD BE 100 PERCENT 64-BIT)
because windows is still a total shitshow of 32- and 64bit chaos (and even some 16 bit cruft still lingers in some dark corners). If you want to 'emulate' it, you have to mirror all the crap that makes windows windows - i.e. still not being a true 64bit OS.

I'm using wine-devel on my 13.0-RELEASE system at work and for those 1-2 windows programs I occasionally need to run it works. However, stay away from .NET applications - they are yet another collection of legacy crap and incompatibilities...

My biggest problem is that my old 32-bit software will not run on Windoz 10 or higher.
I've been using Windows XP Pro, which still runs but antivirus support is going away.
Windows 7+ turns into nag-ware if you don't upgrade. (onset of forced upgrades), and one
of my programs no longer runs on Windows 7. Another goes away with Windows 8.
So there are no windows options left for me.

I wonder what ancient piece of software could still be that essential and without newer (and working) versions or alternatives. You should have looked for them a long time ago - even with wine such ancient stuff will definitely not work forever. And I don't think bug reports for heavily outdated software will be even considered for investigation by the wine developers.
The only reasonable advice one can give here: move on. If there isn't a newer version, then your software is dead - that's what happens all the time with proprietary software and the vendor absolutely doesn't care about you. Maybe you will learn from that and choose "business critical" software more wisely in the future...

This is all incredibly confusing.

What I need are clear and agreed upon installation instructions,
stating directly the steps needed to install wine.

From what I currently understand:

as root-
1. pkg install wine
2. pkg install wine-gecko (otherwise step 3 grumbles that its missing.)
3. pkg install wine-mono
4. /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri
5. pkg install winetools

as reg. user
winetools

Let's agree on this much, then today I will do the following:
1. Completely wipe the machine so I can do a completely fresh install.
2. Do a fresh install of operating system.
3. Follow the agreed-upon steps for installing wine.
4. Post results and/or error message(s), with details.

Dave

It's enough to post the error message. We never advocate reinstalls here (unless there is evidence the system itself is broken).

I wonder what ancient piece of software could still be that essential and without newer (and working) versions or alternatives. You should have looked for them a long time ago - even with wine such ancient stuff will definitely not work forever. And I don't think bug reports for heavily outdated software will be even considered for investigation by the wine developers.
The only reasonable advice one can give here: move on. If there isn't a newer version, then your software is dead - that's what happens all the time with proprietary software and the vendor absolutely doesn't care about you. Maybe you will learn from that and choose "business critical" software more wisely in the future...

I took this into consideration years ago and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours looking for alternatives over the past 10 years.

Two examples:

1. One big problem is desktop type databases. Linux has nothing at all which even comes close to what Paradox did 20+ years ago. Referential integrity? None. Without referential integrity, you don't have a database. Libreoffice Base? Not even close. Kexi? Not even close. The only thing I have ever found is windows-based. So although I have looked literally everywhere for around 10+ years now, I have never found one single solution which allowed me to "move on."

It is incredibly hard to run a business, or any other serious endeavor, without a database suited to your particular use-case. Businesses have special use-cases and you do not find software built to suit just you. So you are on your own. Desktop databases are the best way to "hack" something together and to prototype a larger/better solution, if that level of involvement becomes necessary.

2. Another huge problem is database development. The best program I ever found at a reasonable cost (meaning less than $5,000 for one user), runs on windows, as most do. This is a current software program, with current releases and current support. It runs on wine. I installed it easily on Wine running under Devuan 3.0.

So this is not a case of "holding onto the old" but rather a case of trying to find the software I need to "move forward" and get rid of windows as much as possible.

Bottom line is, we live in a "windows" world. I hate it more than most. But it is still the reality. Some business-critical software is not available on Linux/BSD. And "Windows" is getting more and more intrusive/abusive/rediculous/etc.

Dave

This is all incredibly confusing.

What I need are clear and agreed upon installation instructions,
stating directly the steps needed to install wine.

From what I currently understand:

as root-
1. pkg install wine
2. pkg install wine-gecko (otherwise step 3 grumbles that its missing.)
3. pkg install wine-mono
4. /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri
5. pkg install winetools

as reg. user
winetools

Dave
Isn't confusing, you just don't get one point: FreeBSD doesn't support multilib from ports, so you can't have WoW64 (Windows on Windows64, the contraption windows do to support 32bit on 64bit host). Linux usually have several multilib packages for this to be possible, that's why you have lib32 packages on linux (yes, a huge ammount of packages so the multlib is possible, in Arch is the lib32-* packages supported by multilib repository, or lib32 on Artix), in devuan (as you mentioned) you've added an entire architecture layer, right?. Said that, that's the reason you should use the pkg32.sh.
Want an example? Try this with a pure64 linux distribution such as Funtoo, it will not work either and you should do pretty much the same.

2. Another huge problem is database development. The best program I ever found at a reasonable cost (meaning less than $5,000 for one user), runs on windows, as most do. This is a current software program, with current releases and current support. It runs on wine. I installed it easily on Wine running under Devuan 3.0.

You had the dpkg --add-architecture i386 on Devuan, that's why it worked, it's what the pkg32.sh do for you.
You know you can pay a professional to port a software you need, right?

It's enough to post the error message. We never advocate reinstalls here (unless there is evidence the system itself is broken).

It doesn't take that long and eliminates confusion.
I will also use bectl to make around 10 boot environments for testing.

Dave

Isn't confusing, you just don't get one point: FreeBSD doesn't support multilib from ports, so you can't have WoW64 (Windows on Windows64, the contraption windows do to support 32bit on 64bit host). Linux usually have several multilib packages for this to be possible, that's why you have lib32 packages on linux (yes, a huge ammount of packages so the multlib is possible, in Arch is the lib32-* packages supported by multilib repository, or lib32 on Artix), in devuan (as you mentioned) you've added an entire architecture layer, right?. Said that, that's the reason you should use the pkg32.sh.
Want an example? Try this with a pure64 linux distribution such as Funtoo, it will not work either and you should do pretty much the same.

Yes, I understand. Its a mess. Problem is, we're all forced to deal with it.

You had the dpkg --add-architecture i386 on Devuan, that's why it worked, it's what the pkg32.sh do for you.
You know you can pay a professional to port a software you need, right?

Re: You know you can pay a professional to port a software you need, right?

We're talking two totally different markets.
What you are suggesting is not cost-effective.
If I was going to spend $1,000,000 plus, then I would just migrate to a more industrial solution that runs multi-platform, hire the staff to program it, etc.
Which still does not eliminate the need for the type of desktop database I'm talking about.
What about when the next business need presents itself, likely within 6 months?
Desktop databases make it quick and easy to "hack things together.".

That works precisely the other way around: it's invalidates all your previous posts, making it more difficult for us to understand your issues.

For more confusion?

I'm not an idiot.
I've followed all the suggestions so this machine is such a mess right now I have no other choice but to start over.
Last night it compiled software for a very long time. It's a mess.
I have hand written instructions.
The problem will present.
And when it does, I will have clear documentation.

My biggest problem is that my old 32-bit software will not run on Windoz 10 or higher.
I've been using Windows XP Pro, which still runs but antivirus support is going away.
Windows 7+ turns into nag-ware if you don't upgrade. (onset of forced upgrades), and one
of my programs no longer runs on Windows 7. Another goes away with Windows 8.
So there are no windows options left for me.
I know getting Wine to work is an option, as is installing a... different unix-alike OS, but priority #1 should be to stop using that software.

I know getting Wine to work is an option, as is installing a... different unix-alike OS, but priority #1 should be to stop using that software.
Agreed.
I'm getting into PostgreSQL and also FirebirdSQL is not well known, but amazing, and also embedded.
Learning to program.
Can work on finding / building different front-ends for those databases.

I might just keep FreeBSD completely clean of Wine & Windows software.
Make an "application server" (running either Windows or Devuan w/wine 32/64 bit)
to serve the Windows programs across the wire to whatever FreeBSD client machine needs them.
Then eliminate as many of the windows programs as possible.
So far, this sounds like the best solution, by far.
Then I'm free of this mess.
Isolate the mess to it's own box.
Even pay the windows tax if I have to,
then work hard on saying goodbye to windows for good.
What a glorious day that would be.

And these instructions seem to be current, regardless of the state of the handbook?

I think this is my main problem.
I do not have clear instructions.
I hear "do it this way"
then "do it that way"
One guy said (under a different issue): "invariably the problems I see are from not following the manual."
So I followed the manual, then I really got in trouble.

Its not easy for any of us who use real computers to accomplish real things.
I'm not being critical of anyone, I know its a complicated & constantly moving target.
Resources are spread thin. I've found that the documentation usually lags / suffers / etc.
This is just a reality, exactly why I always keep records of install routines that work.

We are all forced to fight on our own.
Having a community like this, so we can all help each other and fight together,
as a team, who can figure out what that's worth to any one individual?

I've installed wine on different systems many times.
Yes, there can be problems.
But it should not be this difficult, so something is clearly wrong.

Can we come to a decision re: which way it should be installed?
Can we list the steps, so that I can try those steps and report the results?

That would be a huge help.

Dave

here's what I'm trying to understand from those who've successfully used wine from FreeBSD. Is it correct to install the version of wine that's available from ports (intended for both i386 and i686 binaries), then it needs an additional command to run i386 binaries?
Yes. There should be no issues getting the regular wine either, so long as you mount proc, but I compiled wine-devel. And unfortunately (though there's nothing wrong with this) since pkg doesn't support multilib at all, a contraption was made (the pkg32.sh script) to allow you to install packages inside a folder in your home directory that has all the 32-bit compatible libraries that you must install MANUALLY.

This also makes it really hard if you built the port because to get full multilib support with your build options (like if you chose alsa for example) you'll need a 32-bit jail or poudriere or something to build the package and then add it with pkg32.sh. I tried this to get full audio support in games and ended up fruitless which was really, really frustrating.

And these instructions seem to be current, regardless of the state of the handbook?
Yes. The handbook for once is not useful here because it hasn't been updated to reflect that Homura is now Suyimuzu and we no longer have the i386-wine package since pkg32.sh is a much better solution to getting 32-bit libraries.

Can we come to a decision re: which way it should be installed?
Can we list the steps, so that I can try those steps and report the results?
Listing the errors would have been incredibly beneficial before. Wine has pretty helpful output as someone pointed out.
I suggest you just install wine-devel with pkg. Whatever you install for it, do the same in pkg32. If you hit an error, please post it because it sounds like you've been doing the right thing and hitting snags but we can't look at anything that's going on.

INSTALL OF WINE-DEVEL WITH LOGS - PART 1 OF 2:

(note: commands are in bold blue)

Okay, here we go.
Here is the proof of what I've been saying.
Sorry, I should have posted this first thing.
I'm learning...

Preliminaries:
1. Fresh install of FreeBSD 13-RELEASE amd64
2. as root-
pkg update
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

(went from p0 to p11)

3. reboot
4. as root-
portsnap auto
5. reboot

Install Wine & Related:

1. as root -
nano /etc/fstab
(add to end of file)
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

2. shutdown -r now

3. as root-
pkg install wine-gecko-devel
pkg install wine-mono-devel
pkg install wine-devel

Message from gcc10-10.3.0:

--
To ensure binaries built with this toolchain find appropriate versions
of the necessary run-time libraries, you may want to link using

-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gcc10

For ports leveraging USE_GCC, USES=compiler, or USES=fortran this happens
transparently.
=====
Message from wine-devel-7.4,1:

--
Some ZFS tuning guides recommend setting KVA_PAGES=512 in your kernel
configuration. This is incompatible with Wine. The maximum possible
is KVA_PAGES=500, which should still be enough for ZFS.

The port also installs some of Wine's documentation which describes
additional programs that are not in the manual pages under
/usr/local/share/doc/wine

as root-
pkg install winetricks

shutdown -r now

as reg user-
winetricks

------------------------------------------------------
warning: You are running winetricks-20210206-next, latest upstream is winetricks-20220411!
warning: You should update using your distribution's package manager, --self-update, or manually.
Executing mkdir -p /home/dd
Using winetricks 20210206-next - sha256sum: 0769bbcdbd92c407f4eacaa85acc1339f607dbeafe2febd1be0912034c7af3a1 with wine doesn't exist!

Try installing 32-bit Wine with
wine mesa-dri

If using Poudriere, please make sure your repo is setup to use FreeBSD:13:i386
and create symlinks for
FreeBSD:13:amd64 and
FreeBSD:13:i386
to the relevant output directories. See pkg.conf(5) for more info. and WINEARCH=win32

as root-
winetricks --self-update

Executing cd /tmp/winetricks.PnnNKU0Y
Downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks to /tmp/winetricks.PnnNKU0Y
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 876k 100 876k 0 0 2407k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 2406k
Executing cd /root
Executing mv /tmp/winetricks.PnnNKU0Y/winetricks /usr/local/bin/winetricks.update
Executing rmdir /tmp/winetricks.PnnNKU0Y
Executing cp /usr/local/bin/winetricks /usr/local/bin/winetricks.bak
Executing chmod -x /usr/local/bin/winetricks.bak
Executing mv /usr/local/bin/winetricks.update /usr/local/bin/winetricks
Executing chmod +x /usr/local/bin/winetricks
warning: Update finished! The current version is 20220411-next - sha256sum: d23dbdf84a2f75b0cbb9608f9ba9d65ee23947fdf71be76115c9eb066b3b3100. Use 'winetricks --update-rollback' to return to the previous version.
root@testclient:~ # exit
logout

as reg user-
winetricks

Using winetricks 20220411-next - sha256sum: d23dbdf84a2f75b0cbb9608f9ba9d65ee23947fdf71be76115c9eb066b3b3100 with wine doesn't exist!

Try installing 32-bit Wine with
wine mesa-dri

If using Poudriere, please make sure your repo is setup to use FreeBSD:13:i386
and create symlinks for
FreeBSD:13:amd64 and
FreeBSD:13:i386
to the relevant output directories. See pkg.conf(5) for more info. and WINEARCH=win32

as reg. user-
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri

pkg -o ABI=FreeBSD:13:i386 -o INSTALL_AS_USER=true -o RUN_SCRIPTS=false --rootdir /home/dd/.i386-wine-pkg install wine mesa-dri
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100% 163 B 0.2kB/s 00:01
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100% 6 MiB 3.3MB/s 00:02
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 30581 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 85 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
FAudio: 21.01
binutils: 2.37_2,1
ca_root_nss: 3.76
desktop-file-utils: 0.26_1
expat: 2.4.8
fontconfig: 2.13.94_2,1
freetype2: 2.11.1
gcc10: 10.3.0
gettext-runtime: 0.21
glib: 2.70.4_3,2
gmp: 6.2.1
gnutls: 3.6.16
gstreamer1: 1.16.2
gstreamer1-plugins: 1.16.2_5
indexinfo: 0.3.1
iso-codes: 4.7
jbigkit: 2.1_1
jpeg-turbo: 2.1.3
lcms2: 2.12
libGLU: 9.0.2_1
libX11: 1.7.2,1
libXScrnSaver: 1.2.3_2
libXau: 1.0.9
libXcomposite: 0.4.5,1
libXcursor: 1.2.0
libXdamage: 1.1.5
libXdmcp: 1.1.3
libXext: 1.3.4,1
libXfixes: 6.0.0
libXi: 1.8,1
libXinerama: 1.1.4_2,1
libXrandr: 1.5.2
libXrender: 0.9.10_2
libXv: 1.0.11_2,1
libXvMC: 1.0.12
libXxf86vm: 1.1.4_3
libdrm: 2.4.110,1
libedit: 3.1.20210910,1
libepoll-shim: 0.0.20210418
libffi: 3.3_1
libglvnd: 1.4.0_1
libiconv: 1.16
libidn2: 2.3.2
libinotify: 20211018
liblz4: 1.9.3,1
libmysofa: 1.2.1.16
libpciaccess: 0.16
libpthread-stubs: 0.4
libtasn1: 4.18.0
libunistring: 1.0
libunwind: 20211201_1
libxcb: 1.14_1
libxkbcommon: 1.4.0_2
libxml2: 2.9.13_1
libxshmfence: 1.3_1
llvm13: 13.0.1_2
lua53: 5.3.6
mesa-dri: 21.3.8
mesa-libs: 21.3.8
mpc: 1.2.1
mpdecimal: 2.5.1
mpfr: 4.1.0_1
nettle: 3.7.3
openal-soft: 1.21.1_3
orc: 0.4.31
p11-kit: 0.24.1
pciids: 20220225
pcre: 8.45_1
perl5: 5.32.1_1
png: 1.6.37_1
python38: 3.8.13
readline: 8.1.2
sdl2: 2.0.20_1
spirv-tools: 2022.1_1
tiff: 4.3.0
tpm-emulator: 0.7.4_2
trousers: 0.3.14_3
vkd3d: 1.3
vulkan-headers: 1.3.210
vulkan-loader: 1.3.210
wayland: 1.20.0_2
wine: 6.0.3_2,1
xkeyboard-config: 2.34_2
xorgproto: 2021.5
zstd: 1.5.2

Number of packages to be installed: 85

The process will require 2 GiB more space.
323 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/85] Fetching wine-6.0.3_2,1.pkg: 100% 28 MiB 4.2MB/s 00:07
[2/85] Fetching mesa-dri-21.3.8.pkg: 100% 14 MiB 3.5MB/s 00:04
[3/85] Fetching libXrender-0.9.10_2.pkg: 100% 32 KiB 32.5kB/s 00:01
[4/85] Fetching libX11-1.7.2,1.pkg: 100% 2 MiB 1.7MB/s 00:01
[5/85] Fetching libxcb-1.14_1.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.1MB/s 00:01
[6/85] Fetching libXdmcp-1.1.3.pkg: 100% 15 KiB 15.4kB/s 00:01
[7/85] Fetching xorgproto-2021.5.pkg: 100% 222 KiB 226.9kB/s 00:01
[8/85] Fetching libXau-1.0.9.pkg: 100% 11 KiB 11.5kB/s 00:01
[9/85] Fetching libpthread-stubs-0.4.pkg: 100% 2 KiB 2.0kB/s 00:01
[10/85] Fetching libXrandr-1.5.2.pkg: 100% 30 KiB 31.1kB/s 00:01
[11/85] Fetching libXext-1.3.4,1.pkg: 100% 92 KiB 94.7kB/s 00:01
[12/85] Fetching libXinerama-1.1.4_2,1.pkg: 100% 10 KiB 10.5kB/s 00:01
[13/85] Fetching libXi-1.8,1.pkg: 100% 127 KiB 129.6kB/s 00:01
[14/85] Fetching libXfixes-6.0.0.pkg: 100% 14 KiB 14.4kB/s 00:01
[15/85] Fetching libXcursor-1.2.0.pkg: 100% 37 KiB 38.1kB/s 00:01
[16/85] Fetching libXcomposite-0.4.5,1.pkg: 100% 11 KiB 10.9kB/s 00:01
[17/85] Fetching fontconfig-2.13.94_2,1.pkg: 100% 453 KiB 463.9kB/s 00:01
[18/85] Fetching expat-2.4.8.pkg: 100% 105 KiB 107.2kB/s 00:01
[19/85] Fetching freetype2-2.11.1.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.0MB/s 00:01
[20/85] Fetching png-1.6.37_1.pkg: 100% 292 KiB 298.9kB/s 00:01
[21/85] Fetching libxml2-2.9.13_1.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.4MB/s 00:01
[22/85] Fetching readline-8.1.2.pkg: 100% 356 KiB 365.0kB/s 00:01
[23/85] Fetching indexinfo-0.3.1.pkg: 100% 6 KiB 5.8kB/s 00:01
[24/85] Fetching gnutls-3.6.16.pkg: 100% 2 MiB 2.4MB/s 00:01
[25/85] Fetching trousers-0.3.14_3.pkg: 100% 467 KiB 478.0kB/s 00:01
[26/85] Fetching tpm-emulator-0.7.4_2.pkg: 100% 106 KiB 108.8kB/s 00:01
[27/85] Fetching gmp-6.2.1.pkg: 100% 480 KiB 491.6kB/s 00:01
[28/85] Fetching p11-kit-0.24.1.pkg: 100% 398 KiB 407.5kB/s 00:01
[29/85] Fetching libtasn1-4.18.0.pkg: 100% 151 KiB 154.9kB/s 00:01
[30/85] Fetching ca_root_nss-3.76.pkg: 100% 259 KiB 265.3kB/s 00:01
[31/85] Fetching libffi-3.3_1.pkg: 100% 38 KiB 38.5kB/s 00:01
[32/85] Fetching glib-2.70.4_3,2.pkg: 100% 3 MiB 3.3MB/s 00:01
[33/85] Fetching python38-3.8.13.pkg: 100% 23 MiB 4.0MB/s 00:06
[34/85] Fetching mpdecimal-2.5.1.pkg: 100% 326 KiB 333.8kB/s 00:01
[35/85] Fetching gettext-runtime-0.21.pkg: 100% 164 KiB 168.4kB/s 00:01
[36/85] Fetching pcre-8.45_1.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.3MB/s 00:01
[37/85] Fetching libiconv-1.16.pkg: 100% 614 KiB 628.4kB/s 00:01
[38/85] Fetching nettle-3.7.3.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.5MB/s 00:01
[39/85] Fetching libidn2-2.3.2.pkg: 100% 112 KiB 114.3kB/s 00:01
[40/85] Fetching libunistring-1.0.pkg: 100% 523 KiB 535.1kB/s 00:01
[41/85] Fetching gcc10-10.3.0.pkg: 100% 49 MiB 4.3MB/s 00:12
[42/85] Fetching mpfr-4.1.0_1.pkg: 100% 429 KiB 439.0kB/s 00:01
[43/85] Fetching mpc-1.2.1.pkg: 100% 91 KiB 93.3kB/s 00:01
[44/85] Fetching binutils-2.37_2,1.pkg: 100% 14 MiB 4.8MB/s 00:03
[45/85] Fetching vulkan-loader-1.3.210.pkg: 100% 110 KiB 112.6kB/s 00:01
[46/85] Fetching wayland-1.20.0_2.pkg: 100% 121 KiB 124.0kB/s 00:01
[47/85] Fetching libepoll-shim-0.0.20210418.pkg: 100% 23 KiB 23.1kB/s 00:01
[48/85] Fetching vkd3d-1.3.pkg: 100% 551 KiB 564.4kB/s 00:01
[49/85] Fetching vulkan-headers-1.3.210.pkg: 100% 925 KiB 947.5kB/s 00:01
[50/85] Fetching spirv-tools-2022.1_1.pkg: 100% 3 MiB 3.1MB/s 00:01
[51/85] Fetching libGLU-9.0.2_1.pkg: 100% 194 KiB 199.1kB/s 00:01
[52/85] Fetching libglvnd-1.4.0_1.pkg: 100% 330 KiB 337.8kB/s 00:01
[53/85] Fetching lcms2-2.12.pkg: 100% 2 MiB 2.0MB/s 00:01
[54/85] Fetching tiff-4.3.0.pkg: 100% 858 KiB 878.7kB/s 00:01
[55/85] Fetching jpeg-turbo-2.1.3.pkg: 100% 374 KiB 382.7kB/s 00:01
[56/85] Fetching jbigkit-2.1_1.pkg: 100% 80 KiB 81.6kB/s 00:01
[57/85] Fetching sdl2-2.0.20_1.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.1MB/s 00:01
[58/85] Fetching libxkbcommon-1.4.0_2.pkg: 100% 191 KiB 195.7kB/s 00:01
[59/85] Fetching xkeyboard-config-2.34_2.pkg: 100% 648 KiB 664.0kB/s 00:01
[60/85] Fetching libXxf86vm-1.1.4_3.pkg: 100% 18 KiB 18.3kB/s 00:01
[61/85] Fetching libXScrnSaver-1.2.3_2.pkg: 100% 15 KiB 15.2kB/s 00:01
[62/85] Fetching mesa-libs-21.3.8.pkg: 100% 212 KiB 217.1kB/s 00:01
[63/85] Fetching libxshmfence-1.3_1.pkg: 100% 5 KiB 5.0kB/s 00:01
[64/85] Fetching libXdamage-1.1.5.pkg: 100% 6 KiB 6.6kB/s 00:01
[65/85] Fetching libdrm-2.4.110,1.pkg: 100% 233 KiB 238.5kB/s 00:01
[66/85] Fetching libpciaccess-0.16.pkg: 100% 24 KiB 24.1kB/s 00:01
[67/85] Fetching pciids-20220225.pkg: 100% 225 KiB 230.4kB/s 00:01
[68/85] Fetching libunwind-20211201_1.pkg: 100% 121 KiB 123.8kB/s 00:01
[69/85] Fetching zstd-1.5.2.pkg: 100% 425 KiB 434.9kB/s 00:01
[70/85] Fetching liblz4-1.9.3,1.pkg: 100% 122 KiB 125.2kB/s 00:01
[71/85] Fetching libinotify-20211018.pkg: 100% 27 KiB 27.8kB/s 00:01
[72/85] Fetching desktop-file-utils-0.26_1.pkg: 100% 45 KiB 46.0kB/s 00:01
[73/85] Fetching openal-soft-1.21.1_3.pkg: 100% 437 KiB 447.0kB/s 00:01
[74/85] Fetching libmysofa-1.2.1.16.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.2MB/s 00:01
[75/85] Fetching FAudio-21.01.pkg: 100% 102 KiB 104.9kB/s 00:01
[76/85] Fetching gstreamer1-plugins-1.16.2_5.pkg: 100% 1 MiB 1.6MB/s 00:01
[77/85] Fetching gstreamer1-1.16.2.pkg: 100% 2 MiB 1.6MB/s 00:01
[78/85] Fetching iso-codes-4.7.pkg: 100% 3 MiB 2.8MB/s 00:01
[79/85] Fetching orc-0.4.31.pkg: 100% 206 KiB 211.4kB/s 00:01
[80/85] Fetching libXvMC-1.0.12.pkg: 100% 25 KiB 26.0kB/s 00:01
[81/85] Fetching libXv-1.0.11_2,1.pkg: 100% 36 KiB 36.9kB/s 00:01
[82/85] Fetching llvm13-13.0.1_2.pkg: 100% 143 MiB 5.5MB/s 00:27
[83/85] Fetching perl5-5.32.1_1.pkg: 100% 14 MiB 3.0MB/s 00:05
[84/85] Fetching lua53-5.3.6.pkg: 100% 283 KiB 290.2kB/s 00:01
[85/85] Fetching libedit-3.1.20210910,1.pkg: 100% 141 KiB 144.9kB/s 00:01
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[1/85] Installing xorgproto-2021.5...
[1/85] Extracting xorgproto-2021.5: 100%
[2/85] Installing libXdmcp-1.1.3...
[2/85] Extracting libXdmcp-1.1.3: 100%
[3/85] Installing libXau-1.0.9...
[3/85] Extracting libXau-1.0.9: 100%
[4/85] Installing libpthread-stubs-0.4...
[4/85] Extracting libpthread-stubs-0.4: 100%
[5/85] Installing libxcb-1.14_1...

INSTALL OF WINE-DEVEL WITH LOGS - PART 2 OF 2:

[5/85] Extracting libxcb-1.14_1: 100%
[6/85] Installing indexinfo-0.3.1...
[6/85] Extracting indexinfo-0.3.1: 100%
[7/85] Installing libX11-1.7.2,1...
[7/85] Extracting libX11-1.7.2,1: 100%
[8/85] Installing readline-8.1.2...
[8/85] Extracting readline-8.1.2: 100%
[9/85] Installing libffi-3.3_1...
[9/85] Extracting libffi-3.3_1: 100%
[10/85] Installing mpdecimal-2.5.1...
[10/85] Extracting mpdecimal-2.5.1: 100%
[11/85] Installing gettext-runtime-0.21...
[11/85] Extracting gettext-runtime-0.21: 100%
[12/85] Installing pciids-20220225...
[12/85] Extracting pciids-20220225: 100%
[13/85] Installing libXrender-0.9.10_2...
[13/85] Extracting libXrender-0.9.10_2: 100%
[14/85] Installing libXext-1.3.4,1...
[14/85] Extracting libXext-1.3.4,1: 100%
[15/85] Installing libXfixes-6.0.0...
[15/85] Extracting libXfixes-6.0.0: 100%
[16/85] Installing expat-2.4.8...
[16/85] Extracting expat-2.4.8: 100%
[17/85] Installing libxml2-2.9.13_1...
[17/85] Extracting libxml2-2.9.13_1: 100%
[18/85] Installing python38-3.8.13...
[18/85] Extracting python38-3.8.13: 100%
[19/85] Installing pcre-8.45_1...
[19/85] Extracting pcre-8.45_1: 100%
[20/85] Installing libiconv-1.16...
[20/85] Extracting libiconv-1.16: 100%
[21/85] Installing libepoll-shim-0.0.20210418...
[21/85] Extracting libepoll-shim-0.0.20210418: 100%
[22/85] Installing libpciaccess-0.16...
[22/85] Extracting libpciaccess-0.16: 100%
[23/85] Installing liblz4-1.9.3,1...
[23/85] Extracting liblz4-1.9.3,1: 100%
[24/85] Installing libXrandr-1.5.2...
[24/85] Extracting libXrandr-1.5.2: 100%
[25/85] Installing png-1.6.37_1...
[25/85] Extracting png-1.6.37_1: 100%
[26/85] Installing gmp-6.2.1...
[26/85] Extracting gmp-6.2.1: 100%
[27/85] Installing glib-2.70.4_3,2...
[27/85] Extracting glib-2.70.4_3,2: 100%
[28/85] Installing wayland-1.20.0_2...
[28/85] Extracting wayland-1.20.0_2: 100%
[29/85] Installing libglvnd-1.4.0_1...
[29/85] Extracting libglvnd-1.4.0_1: 100%
[30/85] Installing xkeyboard-config-2.34_2...
[30/85] Extracting xkeyboard-config-2.34_2: 100%
[31/85] Installing libXxf86vm-1.1.4_3...
[31/85] Extracting libXxf86vm-1.1.4_3: 100%
[32/85] Installing libxshmfence-1.3_1...
[32/85] Extracting libxshmfence-1.3_1: 100%
[33/85] Installing libXdamage-1.1.5...
[33/85] Extracting libXdamage-1.1.5: 100%
[34/85] Installing libdrm-2.4.110,1...
[34/85] Extracting libdrm-2.4.110,1: 100%
[35/85] Installing libunwind-20211201_1...
[35/85] Extracting libunwind-20211201_1: 100%
[36/85] Installing zstd-1.5.2...
[36/85] Extracting zstd-1.5.2: 100%
[37/85] Installing libXinerama-1.1.4_2,1...
[37/85] Extracting libXinerama-1.1.4_2,1: 100%
[38/85] Installing libXi-1.8,1...
[38/85] Extracting libXi-1.8,1: 100%
[39/85] Installing libXcursor-1.2.0...
[39/85] Extracting libXcursor-1.2.0: 100%
[40/85] Installing freetype2-2.11.1...
[40/85] Extracting freetype2-2.11.1: 100%
[41/85] Installing tpm-emulator-0.7.4_2...
[41/85] Extracting tpm-emulator-0.7.4_2: 100%
[42/85] Installing libtasn1-4.18.0...
[42/85] Extracting libtasn1-4.18.0: 100%
[43/85] Installing ca_root_nss-3.76...
[43/85] Extracting ca_root_nss-3.76: 100%
[44/85] Installing libunistring-1.0...
[44/85] Extracting libunistring-1.0: 100%
[45/85] Installing mpfr-4.1.0_1...
[45/85] Extracting mpfr-4.1.0_1: 100%
[46/85] Installing jpeg-turbo-2.1.3...
[46/85] Extracting jpeg-turbo-2.1.3: 100%
[47/85] Installing jbigkit-2.1_1...
[47/85] Extracting jbigkit-2.1_1: 100%
[48/85] Installing libxkbcommon-1.4.0_2...
[48/85] Extracting libxkbcommon-1.4.0_2: 100%
[49/85] Installing libXScrnSaver-1.2.3_2...
[49/85] Extracting libXScrnSaver-1.2.3_2: 100%
[50/85] Installing mesa-libs-21.3.8...
[50/85] Extracting mesa-libs-21.3.8: 100%
[51/85] Installing libinotify-20211018...
[51/85] Extracting libinotify-20211018: 100%
[52/85] Installing gstreamer1-1.16.2...
[52/85] Extracting gstreamer1-1.16.2: 100%
[53/85] Installing iso-codes-4.7...
[53/85] Extracting iso-codes-4.7: 100%
[54/85] Installing orc-0.4.31...
[54/85] Extracting orc-0.4.31: 100%
[55/85] Installing libedit-3.1.20210910,1...
[55/85] Extracting libedit-3.1.20210910,1: 100%
[56/85] Installing trousers-0.3.14_3...
[56/85] Extracting trousers-0.3.14_3: 100%
[57/85] Installing p11-kit-0.24.1...
[57/85] Extracting p11-kit-0.24.1: 100%
[58/85] Installing nettle-3.7.3...
[58/85] Extracting nettle-3.7.3: 100%
[59/85] Installing libidn2-2.3.2...
[59/85] Extracting libidn2-2.3.2: 100%
[60/85] Installing mpc-1.2.1...
[60/85] Extracting mpc-1.2.1: 100%
[61/85] Installing binutils-2.37_2,1...
[61/85] Extracting binutils-2.37_2,1: 100%
[62/85] Installing vulkan-loader-1.3.210...
[62/85] Extracting vulkan-loader-1.3.210: 100%
[63/85] Installing vulkan-headers-1.3.210...
[63/85] Extracting vulkan-headers-1.3.210: 100%
[64/85] Installing spirv-tools-2022.1_1...
[64/85] Extracting spirv-tools-2022.1_1: 100%
[65/85] Installing tiff-4.3.0...
[65/85] Extracting tiff-4.3.0: 100%
[66/85] Installing sdl2-2.0.20_1...
[66/85] Extracting sdl2-2.0.20_1: 100%
[67/85] Installing libmysofa-1.2.1.16...
[67/85] Extracting libmysofa-1.2.1.16: 100%
[68/85] Installing gstreamer1-plugins-1.16.2_5...
[68/85] Extracting gstreamer1-plugins-1.16.2_5: 100%
[69/85] Installing libXv-1.0.11_2,1...
[69/85] Extracting libXv-1.0.11_2,1: 100%
[70/85] Installing perl5-5.32.1_1...
[70/85] Extracting perl5-5.32.1_1: 100%
[71/85] Installing lua53-5.3.6...
[71/85] Extracting lua53-5.3.6: 100%
[72/85] Installing libXcomposite-0.4.5,1...
[72/85] Extracting libXcomposite-0.4.5,1: 100%
[73/85] Installing fontconfig-2.13.94_2,1...
[73/85] Extracting fontconfig-2.13.94_2,1: 100%
[74/85] Installing gnutls-3.6.16...
[74/85] Extracting gnutls-3.6.16: 100%
[75/85] Installing gcc10-10.3.0...
[75/85] Extracting gcc10-10.3.0: 100%
[76/85] Installing vkd3d-1.3...
[76/85] Extracting vkd3d-1.3: 100%
[77/85] Installing libGLU-9.0.2_1...
[77/85] Extracting libGLU-9.0.2_1: 100%
[78/85] Installing lcms2-2.12...
[78/85] Extracting lcms2-2.12: 100%
[79/85] Installing desktop-file-utils-0.26_1...
[79/85] Extracting desktop-file-utils-0.26_1: 100%
[80/85] Installing openal-soft-1.21.1_3...
[80/85] Extracting openal-soft-1.21.1_3: 100%
[81/85] Installing FAudio-21.01...
[81/85] Extracting FAudio-21.01: 100%
[82/85] Installing libXvMC-1.0.12...
[82/85] Extracting libXvMC-1.0.12: 100%
[83/85] Installing llvm13-13.0.1_2...
[83/85] Extracting llvm13-13.0.1_2: 100%
[84/85] Installing wine-6.0.3_2,1...
[84/85] Extracting wine-6.0.3_2,1: 100%
[85/85] Installing mesa-dri-21.3.8...
[85/85] Extracting mesa-dri-21.3.8: 100%
=====

Message from python38-3.8.13:

--
Note that some standard Python modules are provided as separate ports
as they require additional dependencies. They are available as:

py38-gdbm databases/py-gdbm@py38
py38-sqlite3 databases/py-sqlite3@py38
py38-tkinter x11-toolkits/py-tkinter@py38
=====
Message from wayland-1.20.0_2:

--
Wayland requires XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to be defined to a path that will
contain "wayland-%d" unix(4) sockets. This is usually handled by
consolekit2 (via ck-launch-session) or pam_xdg (via login).
=====
Message from freetype2-2.11.1:

--
The 2.7.x series now uses the new subpixel hinting mode (V40 port's option) as
the default, emulating a modern version of ClearType. This change inevitably
leads to different rendering results, and you might change port's options to
adapt it to your taste (or use the new "FREETYPE_PROPERTIES" environment
variable).

The environment variable "FREETYPE_PROPERTIES" can be used to control the
driver properties. Example:

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35 \
cff:no-stem-darkening=1 \
autofitter:warping=1

This allows to select, say, the subpixel hinting mode at runtime for a given
application.

If LONG_PCF_NAMES port's option was enabled, the PCF family names may include
the foundry and information whether they contain wide characters. For example,
"Sony Fixed" or "Misc Fixed Wide", instead of "Fixed". This can be disabled at
run time with using pcf:no-long-family-names property, if needed. Example:

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=pcf:no-long-family-names=1

How to recreate fontconfig cache with using such environment variable,
if needed:
# env FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=pcf:no-long-family-names=1 fc-cache -fsv

The controllable properties are listed in the section "Controlling FreeType
Modules" in the reference's table of contents
(/usr/local/share/doc/freetype2/reference/index.html, if documentation was installed).
=====
Message from ca_root_nss-3.76:

--
FreeBSD does not, and can not warrant that the certification authorities
whose certificates are included in this package have in any way been
audited for trustworthiness or RFC 3647 compliance.

Assessment and verification of trust is the complete responsibility of the
system administrator.

This package installs symlinks to support root certificates discovery by
default for software that uses OpenSSL.

This enables SSL Certificate Verification by client software without manual
intervention.

If you prefer to do this manually, replace the following symlinks with
either an empty file or your site-local certificate bundle.

* /etc/ssl/cert.pem
* /usr/local/etc/ssl/cert.pem
* /usr/local/openssl/cert.pem
=====
Message from libxkbcommon-1.4.0_2:

--
If arrow keys don't work under X11 switch to legacy rules e.g.,

For sh/bash/ksh/zsh run and (optionally) add into ~/.profile:
export XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=xorg

For csh/tcsh run and (optionally) add into ~/.login:
setenv XKB_DEFAULT_RULES xorg
=====
Message from libinotify-20211018:

--
You might want to consider increasing the kern.maxfiles tunable if you plan
to use this library for applications that need to monitor activity of a lot
of files.
=====
Message from trousers-0.3.14_3:

--
To run tcsd automatically, add the following line to /etc/rc.conf:

tcsd_enable="YES"

You might want to edit /usr/local/etc/tcsd.conf to reflect your setup.

If you want to use tcsd with software TPM emulator, use the following
configuration in /etc/rc.conf:

tcsd_enable="YES"
tcsd_mode="emulator"
tpmd_enable="YES"

To use TPM, add your_account to '_tss' group like following:

# pw groupmod _tss -m your_account
=====
Message from gcc10-10.3.0:

--
To ensure binaries built with this toolchain find appropriate versions
of the necessary run-time libraries, you may want to link using

-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gcc10

For ports leveraging USE_GCC, USES=compiler, or USES=fortran this happens
transparently.
=====
Message from wine-6.0.3_2,1:

--
Wine requires procfs(5) mounted on /proc. You can do so manually via
mount -t procfs proc /proc
or make it permanent via something like the following in /etc/fstab
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

Some ZFS tuning guides recommend setting KVA_PAGES=512 in your kernel
configuration. This is incompatible with Wine. The maximum possible
is KVA_PAGES=500, which should still be enough for ZFS.

The port also installs some of Wine's documentation which describes
additional programs that are not in the manual pages under
/usr/local/share/doc/wine

as reg. user-
winetricks

Using winetricks 20220411-next - sha256sum: d23dbdf84a2f75b0cbb9608f9ba9d65ee23947fdf71be76115c9eb066b3b3100 with wine-7.4] versions do not match!

wine with
wine/pkg32.sh upgrade and WINEARCH=win32
installed_file1="wine [wine-6.0.3] and wine64 [wine-7.4] versions do not match!
Try updating 32-bit wine with
warning: bug: w_metadata art2kmin corrupt, might need forward slashes?
as reg. user-
winecfg

wine [wine-6.0.3] and wine64 [wine-7.4] versions do not match!

/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh upgrade

as reg. user-

pkg -o ABI=FreeBSD:13:i386 -o INSTALL_AS_USER=true -o RUN_SCRIPTS=false --rootdir /home/dd/.i386-wine-pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

as reg. user-
winetricks

Using winetricks 20220411-next - sha256sum: d23dbdf84a2f75b0cbb9608f9ba9d65ee23947fdf71be76115c9eb066b3b3100 with wine-7.4] versions do not match!

wine with
wine/pkg32.sh upgrade and WINEARCH=win32
installed_file1="wine [wine-6.0.3] and wine64 [wine-7.4] versions do not match!
warning: bug: w_metadata art2kmin corrupt, might need forward slashes?

as reg. user-
winecfg

wine [wine-6.0.3] and wine64 [wine-7.4] versions do not match!

#END#

The errors would do, perhaps with the installed main applications. It wouldn't hurt to have that much additional information.

In /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, the default is quarterly. I wonder if setting it to latest and installing more recent packages will help. Your output says there's a mismatch. That could also be a bug that the quarterly version is trying to work with 32bit parts from a different version. It could also be as someone has mentioned, to set the default configuration in Wine to the appropriate Windows operating system version.

It would probably be more cost effective for you to use PostgreSQL and learn how to program a PHP CRUD interface.
So for a database, PostgreSQL would be the way to go? In addition, how about databases/pgaccess?
Code:
databases/pgaccess        Powerful PostgreSQL database GUI administration tool and toolkit
It's in Tcl/Tk and is by the same developers as PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL uses C. MySQL uses both C and C++. MariaDB is GPL. MongoDB relies on JSON.

For a light database, Sqlite, with databases/sqlitebrowser or databases/sqlitemanager?

The TL;DR is that the binary packages in pkg are not 32-bit and therefore you must compile them yourself from ports with the 32-bit flags turned on (since they are turned off in the pkg versions).
This one is throwing me off. This suggestion and wiki information seem outdated. The wiki also says:
This port can only be built in an i386 environment as the FreeBSD Port's Collection does not support cross compiling.
The mentioned install is for AMD64. Neither i386-wine nor i386-wine-devel are in ports. There's no i386 for wine for anything anymore, except maybe on a 32bit install.

I tried make config for emulators/wine and emulators/wine-devel. There's no option for setting 32bit in the current ports. The instructions on this thread on enabling 32bit on wine are more consistent, and make more sense, considering i386-wine is no longer in ports.

INSTALL OF WINE-DEVEL WITH LOGS - PART 1 OF 2:

3. as root-
pkg install wine-devel

as reg. user-

So you install wine-devel for the 64bit, and then wine for the 32bit part. As shkln suggested, there was a commit that incorrectly changed the message from suggesting to install wine-devel to installing wine.
The fix would simply to install wine-devel with pkg32.sh .

So you install wine-devel for the 64bit, and then wine for the 32bit part. As shkln suggested, there was a commit that incorrectly changed the message from suggesting to install wine-devel to installing wine.
The fix would simply to install wine-devel with pkg32.sh .

So what you're saying is:
as root-

as reg. user-

OR JUST:

as reg. user-

and it will pick up gecko and mono on its own?

If you can give me the exact commands you're suggesting then I can run a test on it today and post a summary of the results, with detail available, if requested.

Back