Solved WINE on FreeBSD 13 - Am I Just Wasting My Time?

Well, since I am about to embark on this same adventure, I thank all of you for the information posted here. I am wondering if there might be an even more-informative thread here somewhere...like a "How to WINE FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE" or similar?

I, too, have tried to follow the Handbook in this matter and have, so far, experienced exactly the same results as the OP.

Ken Gordon

I also have the same issues. Perhaps this is a FreeBSD 13.1 bug?

bhyve seemed hard to install, so now stuck without Windows support.

I installed wine-devel, with wine-devel-gecko and wine-devel-mono, on FreeBSD 13.1, it works just fine now.

I am still having trouble with installation of one of my favorite win32 apps, Pegasus e-mail client, but I have just been advised that that particular package has problems in WINE of any version.

Ken

After reading all this I was finally encouraged to upgrade my system from 12.3 with i386-wine to 13.1 with wine. In order to test the procedure here described first, I installed a 13.1 test system in Virtualbox and it went all fine. I could even start a Kmquake2 game (which works fine as a test for wine), which is quite amazing, as I think you do not really get real hardware accelerated 3D in Virtualbox.
But after upgrading my system to 13.1 and also installing wine successfully there, it turns out that no game runs. They all report that there is no DirectX and Kmquake2 reports that it does not find any OpenGL renderer. And THAT seems to be the problem. I have an Nvidia Card, which runs with nvidia-driver-470. I remember that in the past, when installing i386-wine, a script (nvidia.sh?) was automatically triggered which installed some stuff for nvidia card users. It could also be started manually, I think it was in /usr/local/share/wine, but that script does not exist anymore:

Code:
$ ls /usr/local/share/wine/
fonts        mono        pkg32.sh
gecko        nls        wine.inf

Please help!

Install Wine FreeBSD 13.1
Code:
$ pkg install wine-gecko
$ pkg install wine-mono
$ pkg install wine
Wine requires procfs(5) mounted on /proc. You can do so manually via
mount -t procfs proc /proc

make it permanent via something like the following in /etc/fstab
Code:
  proc   /proc   procfs   rw   0 0

Try installing 32-bit Wine with
Code:
$  /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri

$ mkdir /usr/home/user/bin
Run program with Wine
$ wine /home/user/bin/program.exe &

That's all!

Install Wine FreeBSD 13.1
Code:
$ pkg install wine-gecko
$ pkg install wine-mono
$ pkg install wine
Wine requires procfs(5) mounted on /proc. You can do so manually via
mount -t procfs proc /proc
make it permanent via something like the following in /etc/fstab
Code:
  proc   /proc   procfs   rw   0 0
Try installing 32-bit Wine with
Code:
$  /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri
$ mkdir /usr/home/user/bin
Run program with Wine
$ wine /home/user/bin/program.exe &
That's all!
I think this is currently not working. With the stable versions, one of the two is on version 6.x and the other is currently on version 7.x I had hoped that I could solve it by using the development edition for both versions, but apparently the two are not on the same version either:

wine [wine-7.16] and wine64 [wine-7.18] versions do not match!

Wine 32-bit isn't updated when you update system with pkg upgrade. You have to manually also update all packages required for wine 32-bit with /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh upgrade

Wine 32-bit isn't updated when you update system with pkg upgrade. You have to manually also update all packages required for wine 32-bit with /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh upgrade
I know, I already did that. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I use GhostBSD, it uses the 'GhostBSD repository catalog'.
It syncs with the FreeBSD mirrors but is slightly behind.

Are the versions on the 'pure FreeBSD' editions currently exactly the same for the 64 bit and 32 bit versions?

Are the versions on the 'pure FreeBSD' editions currently exactly the same for the 64 bit and 32 bit versions?
They should be, or Wine will not work. ;) As far I see, in GhostBSD ports tree, the version of wine-devel is the same as in FreeBSD - 7.22. Maybe they didn't build packages yet?

GhostBSD dont supports i386 by default that means that could be that those packages are not regularly updated.

However you can ask ericbsd on telegram if he can update the i386 repo.

They should be, or Wine will not work. ;) As far I see, in GhostBSD ports tree, the version of wine-devel is the same as in FreeBSD - 7.22. Maybe they didn't build packages yet?
Well, I've been testing GhostBSD for 17 days and haven't really seen any updates to the apps I use every day. Firefox and Chromium were one version behind. I don't know why, but I think GhostBSD's software is a month behind or maybe more. I don't really like this, although everything else in the distro worked well.

Then I installed FreeBSD and I could use wine (32 bit), I could install the apps. But running these two 32 bit apps (after installation) apparently didn't work. I got error messages that are very difficult to solve.

I virtualized windows7 and installed them like that. This is less convenient, but still acceptable for using them once a day for +- half an hour.

So Chapter 12. WINE of the manual still hasn't been updated to reflect the current situation?

Neither Suyimuzu nor Homura are found on FreshPorts.

What's the current recommendation, emulators/wine (v7.0.1,1) or emulators/wine-devel (7.22,1)?

Currently on Arch Linux, getting that damned 32bit Windows software that I can't get rid of to work was really easy using Bottles, so reading this thread is indeed slightly discouraging.

Back