Solved WINE on FreeBSD 13 - Am I Just Wasting My Time?

I've been trying to get wine installed and working
on FreeBSD v.13 amd64
Desktop is MATE, in case that matters.
( for what its worth, I did seem to be getter results with KDE Plasma desktop. )

Followed the owners manual:
as root-
pkg install wine-gecko
pkg install wine-mono
pkg install wine

Then,
as reg. user-
winecfg

RESULT:
Grumbles about needing to install 32 bit environment,
Try installing 32-bit wine with:
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri

So I run that file and it install around 2G of stuff.

Then,
as reg. user-
winecfg

RESULT:
grumbles
"wine: could not load ntdll.so (null)"

ALSO TRIED:
first installed wine-gecko, wine-mono, wine, as above.

Then- per the manual,
as root-
cd /usr/ports/emulators/i386-wine
make install
Did NOT select either [ ] GECKO, or [ ] MONO,
those two write over 64 bit files and then nothing works.

RESULT:
grumbles "..They install files into the same place.
You may want to stop build with Ctrl + C"

So basically no matter what I try, nothing is working.
I want like crazy to replace Devuan / Linux with FreeBSD
and I'm not giving up and hope like crazy I'm not forced to!

But, I'm wondering, is Wine on FreeBSD a viable option?
I came from Devuan linux (Debian without System-D),
had wine working with both 32 and 64 bit, had all my
still-needed old windows software working great.
(wish I could throw that windows stuff out, but, we're
working towards that great day.)

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

Dave

I'm curious how you had i386-wine in ports, it was deleted nearly 6 months ago. Perhaps you haven't updated the ports tree since then?

Anyhow, I have also had hit or miss luck with Wine on FreeBSD but it's getting better and so far it works with minor troubles. Did you download wine-gecko and wine-mono through /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh as well?

I'm curious how you had i386-wine in ports, it was deleted nearly 6 months ago. Perhaps you haven't updated the ports tree since then?

Anyhow, I have also had hit or miss luck with Wine on FreeBSD but it's getting better and so far it works with minor troubles. Did you download wine-gecko and wine-mono through /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh as well?

This is a fresh install of version 13, FreeBSD-RELEASE, amd64, downloaded about a month ago.
No, I did as the manual suggested, installed wine-gecko, wine-mono and wine using pkg install command, as root.
Ran the /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh only after installing wine-gecko, wine-mono and wine using the pkg command,
when I ran winecfg and it told me to do so.

I've always had various issues with wine on whatever distribution, but never this much.
Figure its problem something like wrong/miss-matched software versions, etc. (?)

Not sure how you update the ports collection, figured since this was a fresh download / fresh install,
it should all be pretty up to date. (?)

I'm a newbie, but learning.

Dave

This is a fresh install of version 13, FreeBSD-RELEASE, amd64, downloaded about a month ago.
No, I did as the manual suggested, installed wine-gecko, wine-mono and wine using pkg install command, as root.
Ran the /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh only after installing wine-gecko, wine-mono and wine using the pkg command,
when I ran winecfg and it told me to do so.
That section has sadly looked about the same since I started using FreeBSD right around 13.0's release, and a lot has changed with Wine since then.

Figure its problem something like wrong/miss-matched software versions, etc. (?)
I would uninstall those, delete the existing Wine prefixes (~/.wine and any others) as well as the .i386-wine-pkg (which stores everything you got with the pkg32.sh script) and then install wine-devel, wine-gecko-devel, and wine-mono-devel. Also install those same packages via the /usr/local/share/pk32.sh script to ensure you have everything for multilib support. This is just a newer version of wine, and please let me know if it worked.

Not sure how you update the ports collection, figured since this was a fresh download / fresh install,
it should all be pretty up to date. (?)
I wish they did this at install time but if you enable ports in the installer it just installs the ports as they were the day of 13.0-RELEASE. You can use portsnap auto to automatically fetch and update your ports tree.

"wine: could not load ntdll.so (null)"

This version that you use still needs procfs(5). This is fixed somewhere at version 7, its definitely not needed in wine-devel anymore.

To mount it temporary: mount -t procfs proc /proc

To make it permanent add:
Code:
proc    /proc        procfs        rw    0    0
to /etc/fstab.

This has gotten to the point of rediculous.

Wine does NOT work.

Followed all suggestions from prior posts...

Clean install.
Straight install from packages,
as the manual says.
Does not run.

Clean install.
Tried straight install of "devel" packages (pkg command),
does not work.

Compiled from ports (wine) - took about two hours,
about 30 dialogue boxes,
does not run.

NOTHING WORKS.

And I am getting VERY frustrated.

I LOVE FreeBSD but I HATE wine.
Its usually the "weakest link" by far in (this case at least), an otherwise great system.
I HATE MS software to start with, but its still a necessary evil for me, at least until
I can replace it.

Does ANYONE have a solution to this problem?

I need to know how to install wine on FreeBSD v.13 amd64.

I'm running old 32-bit software, but that isn't the issue.
I never get that far.

After "installing" as root, I always try to run winecfg as reg. user,
ALWAYS grumbles about needing some 32-bit stuff, which I then install,
(GOOD QUESTION: WHY IS IT EVEN ASKING FOR 32-BIT SOFTWARE AT THIS POINT? THIS SHOULD BE 100 PERCENT 64-BIT)
... totally blows everything up.
Try to run it again, gives "version mismatch" errors.
I do what is suggested to "fix the version mismatch,"
says its fixed, "with 0 errors reported,"
I go to run it again,
VERSION MISMATCH.

I'm ready to blow a gasket.

I have a business to run.

Please, I need this to work!!!

Is there ANY WAY to make this work?

Thanks to anyone who's willing to listen and help.

Maybe I should ask the first question:

IS THIS A VIABLE SOLUTION
-or-
AM I TOTALLY WASTING MY TIME?

Please BE HONEST about the true state of wine on FreeBSD,
I don't have days to waste on a pointless endeavor.

Dave

This has gotten to the point of rediculous.

Wine does NOT work.

Followed all suggestions from prior posts...

Clean install.
Straight install from packages,
as the manual says.
Does not run.

Clean install.
Tried straight install of "devel" packages (pkg command),
does not work.

Compiled from ports (wine) - took about two hours,
about 30 dialogue boxes,
does not run.

NOTHING WORKS.

And I am getting VERY frustrated.

I LOVE FreeBSD but I HATE wine.
Its usually the "weakest link" by far in (this case at least), an otherwise great system.
I HATE MS software to start with, but its still a necessary evil for me, at least until
I can replace it.

Does ANYONE have a solution to this problem?

I need to know how to install wine on FreeBSD v.13 amd64.

I'm running old 32-bit software, but that isn't the issue.
I never get that far.

After "installing" as root, I always try to run winecfg as reg. user,
ALWAYS grumbles about needing some 32-bit stuff, which I then install,
(GOOD QUESTION: WHY IS IT EVEN ASKING FOR 32-BIT SOFTWARE AT THIS POINT? THIS SHOULD BE 100 PERCENT 64-BIT)
... totally blows everything up.
Try to run it again, gives "version mismatch" errors.
I do what is suggested to "fix the version mismatch,"
says its fixed, "with 0 errors reported,"
I go to run it again,
VERSION MISMATCH.

Thanks to anyone who's willing to listen and help.

Maybe I should ask the first question:

IS THIS A VIABLE SOLUTION
-or-
AM I TOTALLY WASTING MY TIME?

Please BE HONEST about the true state of wine on FreeBSD,
I don't have days to waste on a pointless endeavor.

Dave
  1. You didn't pasted the actual error.
  2. Did you've installed the 32bit support? Because ports can't do multilib.
  3. Do you have /proc mounted?

This version that you use still needs procfs(5). This is fixed somewhere at version 7, its definitely not needed in wine-devel anymore.

To mount it temporary: mount -t procfs proc /proc

To make it permanent add:
Code:
proc    /proc        procfs        rw    0    0
to /etc/fstab.
Just do as he said. Wine/Proton works on FreeBSD, there is gaming community here, it works, we are not idiots.

Mixed 32-bit / 64-bit Wine installs are tricky (and a massive burden for the maintainers).

What I tend to do instead is create a 32bit Jail on my 64-bit system and just install wine as normal via pkg install into that. This way you don't need to frig about with mixed architecture assemblies.

The only slight limitation of this approach is you can either run 32-bit Windows software or 64-bit Windows software. However many projects on Windows are a sloppy mish mash of both. However your specific use-case this might not be an issue.

1. You didn't pasted the actual error.
  2. Did you've installed the 32bit support? Because ports can't do multilib.
  3. Do you have /proc mounted?

Yes, /proc mounted.
I did as my first post mentions.
Also followed (after a clean install each time)
exactly the suggestions of each post.
I did not install 32-bit support. When going to run winecfg is reg. user, it always ASKS me to install 32-bit support, which doesn't make much sense, since I'm not even trying (yet) to run 32-bit s/w.
So I install the suggested 32-bit software, then NOTHING works.
No matter whatever it asks for, I did it. Never works.
If I had to post all the errors this would be a very long post.
Errors are mainly
Version mismatches (after install of recommended 32-bit stuff).
So then nothing will run.

I do not see a simple standard install of wine + gecko + mono that works.

One note of interest:
I had it working on KDE, but the menu items were scattered all over the place under common top-level menu item "wine"
Went to MATE, cannot get it to work at all.
However when I did get it to install one windows programs, the menu was structured correctly.

Just do as he said. Wine/Proton works on FreeBSD, there is gaming community here, it works, we are not idiots.

NOT implying that ANYONE here is an idiot!
I've just spent three days on this and I'm very frustrated.

I did as he said. I've followed all the instructions I could find.
Including the manual.
Plus misc. youtube videos.

Something is wrong.
This is not my first time messing around with wine.
I had a mixed 32/64 bit wine install working well on Devuan (Debian minus System-D)

What is Wine/Proton? I'll look into that...

I'm only trying to run windows business-type software, nothing gaming-related,
however I'm pretty sure that gaming is far more intense than anything I'm trying to do.

Mixed 32-bit / 64-bit Wine installs are tricky (and a massive burden for the maintainers).

What I tend to do instead is create a 32bit Jail on my 64-bit system and just install wine as normal via pkg install into that. This way you don't need to frig about with mixed architecture assemblies.

The only slight limitation of this approach is you can either run 32-bit Windows software or 64-bit Windows software. However many projects on Windows are a sloppy mish mash of both. However your specific use-case this might not be an issue.

Sounds way more complicated than anything I'm willing to take on with my current level of expertise.
I have messed around with Codeweavers Crossover Office, sounds somewhat like what you're describing,
Had a pretty nice "Bottle" setup that made it easy to deal with "Prefixes."

I'm starting to think I need something drastically different than what I'm trying to do.

The big question for me is: WHY is this 64-bit install asking me to install 32-bit support before it even allows me to runthe just-installed 64-bit winecfg as reg. user?
At this point, it has NO idea what I plan to install on it. I'm only trying to run wine itself.
Everything goes foul from that point on.
Seems mighty strange to me.

Dave

I think you probably didn't install FreeBSD with lib32 support. (It can still be installed later)
So installing 32-bit wine won't work.
Also if you want to run 64-bit winecfg you could try this command: wine64 winecfg

I think you probably didn't install FreeBSD with lib32 support. (It can still be installed later)
So installing 32-bit wine won't work.
Also if you want to run 64-bit winecfg you could try this command: wine64 winecfg

DID install lib32 (the default setting)
Did NOT install lib32-dbg

GOOD QUESTION:
Could the problems I'm having be caused by any of the
"security hardening options" selected during install?
I selected all of them. (so "yes" for all)

I could try a fresh install tomorrow with all security options
set to off.

NOT implying that ANYONE here is an idiot!
I've just spent three days on this and I'm very frustrated.
Please do not take this the wrong way, but sometimes it's just easier to use more than one operating system.

I have business reasons to run Windows software, so I run the Windows software on a Windows laptop for those times I need to. And use FreeBSD for server stuff.

For some things Linux is better supported, easier to set-up, whatever - so I use Linux.

Sounds like you should be able to do what you need to do on FreeBSD, but might just be easier to pay the Windows tax and get on with more interesting things!

Maybe you could run another OS in bhyve or Virtual Box e.g. Windows or Linux-with-wine etc. but again - that would be potentially a lot of frustration (and if you are using Wine to avoid the Windows tax, not much of an option.)

Good luck!

Please do not take this the wrong way, but sometimes it's just easier to use more than one operating system.

I have business reasons to run Windows software, so I run the Windows software on a Windows laptop for those times I need to. And use FreeBSD for server stuff.

For some things Linux is better supported, easier to set-up, whatever - so I use Linux.

Sounds like you should be able to do what you need to do on FreeBSD, but might just be easier to pay the Windows tax and get on with more interesting things!

Maybe you could run another OS in bhyve or Virtual Box e.g. Windows or Linux-with-wine etc. but again - that would be potentially a lot of frustration (and if you are using Wine to avoid the Windows tax, not much of an option.)

Good luck!

My biggest problem is that my old 32-bit software will not run on Windoz 10 or higher.
I've been using Windows XP Pro, which still runs but antivirus support is going away.
Windows 7+ turns into nag-ware if you don't upgrade. (onset of forced upgrades), and one
of my programs no longer runs on Windows 7. Another goes away with Windows 8.
So there are no windows options left for me.

IDEA:

Run FreeBSD 32-bit w/32-bit wine on a small server, use it as a type of "application server". Can I feed the windows apps over a network wire to run on a FreeBSD 64-bit machine?
Kind of like MS RDS? This might very well eliminate the bit-related Wine problems and give me access to my old windows programs.

OR I could install Devuan on this "application server" with my former Wine setup, which I did have working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

I'm confused about this. The Wine in ports is of 64bit, but is described to run 32bit. It should run 32bit then? They're saying the handbook is outdated. So you're still following those instructions?

They said to enable 32bit libs that are used for all 32bit applications. You've said you've done this. It can be installed through ports as well.

Does 32bit need to be enabled on the Wine port which is made for 32bit and 64bit? How? If not, those are extra steps described that aren't fixing the problem.

Error messages would help, cut and paste some, and post it. Highlight it with the mouse, and use the middle wheel button to paste it a code box on the forums.

There's no longer two separate wine ports for 32bit and 64bit, but reading this is treating it like there are two separate ones for each architecture.

Windows 32-bit programs work on 64-bit FreeBSD, I can tell it from my own experience. ;) After reading this topic, I have two questions:

1. Did you install 32-bit version of Wine as it suggest? With command: /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri
2. You wrote that your program will not work with Windows 10. Did you change the version of Wine to (for example) Windows 7 in winecfg?

Usually, Wine gives a lot of information in console when something not works. Please paste them here. It could help us find a solution for your problem.

Did you try wine-devel ?
Also if you are using 13.0 (and not 13.1), and enabled aslr , W^x, then you will pretty much get a crash of wine .
And finally what program do you try to run ?
The version mismatch thing happen either because your version of wine differ between the one installed on $PREFIX and the one in $HOME/.i386-wine-pkg (that can happen that there is a drift between build of 32bit and 64bit from the official repo).
Also you can get mismatch with wineserver if you didn't kill all wine process and try another version of wine.

I don't know what or where the problem is, but I think the best thing to do is to start from scratch.

First cleanup everything related:

pkg remove wine or wine-devel (What you currently have installed)

rm -r -d $HOME/.i386-wine-pkg
and also maybe your test prefix: rm -r -d $HOME/.wine.

Now try it again:

pkg install wine, installing the 32-bit part with: /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri and then try what you wanted to run in wine.

The most important thing here is to stay calm and drink a cup of tea,
this is all done without any guarantee. CAPS and similar stuff like this wont help and looks like spam/trolling.

The version mismatch thing happen either because your version of wine differ between the one installed on $PREFIX and the one in $HOME/.i386-wine-pkg (that can happen that there is a drift between build of 32bit and 64bit from the official repo).
I think OP built one from ports.

cd /usr/ports/emulators/i386-wine
make install
curious how you had i386-wine in ports, it was deleted nearly 6 months ago. Perhaps you haven't updated the ports tree since then?
I don't understand this at all. There shouldn't be a separate wine for i386 and i686. There's only one that runs both architectures now.

It could be because portsnap fetch update wasn't run recently. Though, it was mentioned that the install is from a month ago. Still, it could be because portsnap needs to be run. There's a possibility that, you're using ports from quarterly, or older (but unlikely), or using an outdated FreeBSD. That the claims that i386-wine is being used makes absolutely no sense and is frustrating me reading this. The suggestions around making wine work are useful and may work, however I don't see how they would apply to a part of this that doesn't add up.

This thread isn't making sense. There's no explanations, hardly any error messages, but just statements that aren't adding up, and not matching what's in ports now.

If it isn't explained, how a version of wine is mentioned as being installed, that's no longer in ports, I'm losing interest in this thread. People are left to guessing, in order to try to help to get around this inconsistency.

Apart from that, here's what I'm trying to understand from those who've successfully used wine from FreeBSD. Is it correct to install the version of wine that's available from ports (intended for both i386 and i686 binaries), then it needs an additional command to run i386 binaries?
1. Did you install 32-bit version of Wine as it suggest? With command: /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri
pkg install wine, installing the 32-bit part with: /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri and then try what you wanted to run in wine.
And these instructions seem to be current, regardless of the state of the handbook?

Back