World of Warcraft on FreeBSD

Menelkir: You are talking about "WoW running fine under Wine."

I am talking about "your account might get banned due to Warden doing stuff, so you are doing stuff on your own risk."

Quite the different topic I talked about.
Can you show something about this? Because there's nothing even on the world of warcraft forums, in other hand, world of warcraft forums have lots of threads about running under wine.
Warden is pretty much about "botting", otherwise, it'll get you wrongly banned using some addons, and there's thousands of addons out there and none of them make people get banned by Warden.

This is in the technical support forums of WoW a frequent, re-occuring question: "Will using Linux harm my account?"

Where official answers from Blizzard always are: "We neither approve or forbid its usage, whatever you do is on your own risk." This is includes Warden doing funny things.

Hi to all, same problem here when try to run Wow BFA/LEGION/LICH:
Code:
virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow

In Shadowlands also i have that problem + err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow :
Code:
[Telemetry/4] [D:\BuildServer\WoW\7\work\DedicatedCheckout\Build-Packages\telemetry-sdk-cpp\4.1.1\src\flowcontrol\flow_controller.cpp:231]: FlowControl: Rule fetch failure, HTTP status code 0
[Telemetry/4]
[D:\BuildServer\WoW\7\work\DedicatedCheckout\Build-Packages\telemetry-sdk-cpp\4.1.1\src\http\curl\http_request.curl.cpp:180]: CurlRequest: request error: 55 (Failed sending data to the peer), details: 'select/poll on SSL soc
ket, errno: 10022'

Any idea about it? Many thanks for your time

Ryzen 9 5900X + AMD VEGA 64

Hello,

because stable wine is outdated here, wine-devel is requiered for operating Blizzard. But now the setup wont even open anymore for me to test.

Hello,

because stable wine is outdated here, wine-devel is requiered for operating Blizzard. But now the setup wont even open anymore.
Hi, many thanks for your answer

I have tried Wine Stable/Wine Devel/Wine Proton..Wine Stable does nothing, Wine Devel and Wine Proton give the error described above

I can get Battle.net to load on Wine Stable running 14-CURRENT but if I try to download WoW it just sits at 0% constantly resetting itself. For Classic WoW I just play on the custom server Turtle WoW loads without issue even in Wine Stable though I can't raise the texture quality without crashing every other setting seems to be fine. Hopefully that helps someone looking to play Classic.

I want to report that wow works with default wine-proton, at least wow wotlk classic.
I am on nvidia-driver-470 and wine proton 7.0
edit: I installed nvidia-515, dxvk 2.1. I ran into an xorg issue, when I used "PROTON_LOG=1" it somehow fixed the problem?
but yeah, wow now runs without issues with my rtx 3050 60+ fps. the only thing not working is high texture.
1680984142561.png

Got retail WoW working with the default wine-proton as well, as you can see I've got it going at just over 100 fps which is pretty good.

Using the latest nvidia-drivers from pkg, mesa-devel and some environment variables that i used on Gentoo when launching it via a custom desktop file to get it working properly, quite happy with the result :).

The only thing that annoys me with wine-proton is that is sets every window as "steam_proton", so you can't really use WM_Class to get better icons set for both the battle.net and WoW windows as they group up which is a shame.

neofetch.png
WoWScrnShot_040724_104141.jpg

Back