What's going on with GNOME3

Hi, Today, I was doing a clean install of my system and I see that the gnome3 package no longer exists. And the gnome installation is not complete. What's going on?

what does "pkg search gnome3" tell you?

It's telling me:
Code:
pkg search gnome3
gnome3-lite-3.36_4             The "meta-port" of the GNOME desktop slimmed down for only the basics
libproxy-gnome3-0.4.17         GSettings-based configuration plug-in for libproxy
pinentry-gnome3-1.1.1          GNOME 3 version of the GnuPG password dialog

so perhaps the "gnome3" meta port was removed in favor of gnome3-lite so that fewer dependencies and smaller footprint when installed.
The implication would be the user may need to install more stuff themselves.

Or what SirDice says

I had no choice but gnome-lite. but everything is very broken, with missing packages. I tried correcting from bsdconfig and it gives me the same message: gnome packages and dependencies do not exist.

what does "pkg search gnome3" tell you?

It's telling me:
Code:
pkg search gnome3
gnome3-lite-3.36_4             The "meta-port" of the GNOME desktop slimmed down for only the basics
libproxy-gnome3-0.4.17         GSettings-based configuration plug-in for libproxy
pinentry-gnome3-1.1.1          GNOME 3 version of the GnuPG password dialog

so perhaps the "gnome3" meta port was removed in favor of gnome3-lite so that fewer dependencies and smaller footprint when installed.
The implication would be the user may need to install more stuff themselves.

Or what SirDice says
Like me, before I installed gnome with: pkg install gnome3 gdm gnome-desktop . Today you can't because gnome3 doesn't exist.

See my post (#2).
Yes, I installed gnome-lite. But there are so many applications missing. When I want to install for example gnome-terminal I only get dependencies error, like this with all gnome packages

Keep in mind that the build started on 06 Jul 2021 01:02:57 GMT and took 34 hours, 41 minutes and a few seconds to complete. After it completed it will need to be synced to all the package mirrors, which will also take quite some time (some mirrors are known to sync slowly).

Could use kde5 which is working, or build gnome3 from the ports. The failed package gnome-todo builds fine for me from the port tree.

The same build error happens on latest too. But that's understandable, the 2012Q3 branch was branched off a few days ago, so latest and quarterly are not that different right now. It's possible the issue has already been resolved in the ports tree, there just hasn't been enough time yet to start a new package build run.

Ahh, the age old question:
I just notification that updates were released. Do I try now or wait a couple days for everything to finish syncing?

:)
Me, I've learned that waiting a couple/three days is worth it in the long run.

Ok, I was unlucky enough to do a clean install today. When nothing works! I will wait. Where do they find out updates are being released?

Ok, I was unlucky enough to do a clean install today. When nothing works! I will wait.
Yeah, I think it's just a bit of bad timing. The new quarterly branch was released just 2 days ago. So you fell right smack in the middle of a large package build shift.

Where do they find out updates are being released?
Everything starts with ports, so that's your first stop (https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/log/). If it's not fixed there then the packages simply won't get build. Second stop is checking the build status of the package clusters. You can find those here: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/builds?jailname=130amd64. And last but not least, you can always ask here. Maybe it's a simple issue, maybe not. We can usually point you in the right direction (to a PR for example).

Reactions: mer
Just install xfce4 for a few days, lay back and relax, until the build is ready and available. There is nothing really "essential" in a desktop environment and there is lots of choice with freebsd.

… (desktutils/gnome-todo) failed to build. …

Failed again today for latest for FreeBSD:13:amd64: <http://beefy16.nyi.freebsd.org/data/130amd64-default/59b6caea7779/logs/errors/gnome-todo-40.0.log>

I installed the x11/gnome3 package to FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT a few minutes ago. If there's any significant problem with the end result, I'll add to this post.

I recall a package message about something requiring acceleration. Can't recall which package presented the message. Can't be bothered :)

1626609706660.png

I didn't try GNOME (Wayland), I tried the other four options.

None of the four worked. If I switched repeatedly between ttyv1 and ttyv8 (Control-Alt-F2, Alt-F9) there would be a freeze-frame-like effect, almost as if a movie of the desktop environment could play no more than one frame at a time (in response to switching).

… something requiring acceleration. Can't recall which package …

Found: <https://www.freshports.org/x11/gnome-shell/#message>

For the four types of GNOME session that I tried, I used SDDM. Maybe I need a group membership change for sddm

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # ls -l /dev/dri/card*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 Jul 18 12:30 /dev/dri/card0 -> ../drm/0
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # ls -l /dev/drm/0
crw-rw----  1 root  video  0x114 Jul 18 13:30 /dev/drm/0
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # grep grahamperrin /etc/group
wheel:*:0:root,grahamperrin,bbsadmin-l
operator:*:5:root,grahamperrin,bbsadmin-l
video:*:44:grahamperrin,bbsadmin-l
grahamperrin:*:1002:
webcamd:*:145:grahamperrin
vboxusers:*:920:grahamperrin,bbsadmin-l
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # grep sddm /etc/group           
sddm:*:219:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # pw groupmod video -m sddm
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # grep sddm /etc/group
video:*:44:grahamperrin,bbsadmin-l,sddm
sddm:*:219:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ #

Time to retry … I retried, no better, so I reverted the group membership.

Thanks. Likely.

Also, I installed on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p3. The result seemed to be worse: ~/gnome-session-binar.core with (as far as I can tell) no backtrace. I'm not bothered :) it was just an experiment.

… If I switched repeatedly between ttyv1 and ttyv8 (Control-Alt-F2, Alt-F9) there would be a freeze-frame-like effect, almost as if a movie of the desktop environment could play no more than one frame at a time (in response to switching). …

For reference: that was with radeonkms.

No such problem when I used the same boot disk with a different computer (without radeonkms).

If I recall correctly, the problem was not reproducible with nvidia-modeset with hybrid graphics disabled.

Back