What about gaming on FreeBSD?

We don't really have a maintainer for i368-wine at the moment. And even if somebody replaces dbn@, I wouldn't expect any updates for that stupid package.

That is bad news... But why stupid package? It's the only package I know that enables me to play old windows games at the moment. And sometimes you really need the latest one to be even able to play games that are more than 10 years old and then you do not even have directx10. Very sad.

By the way, if you would like to compile WoW64 Wine, but the lib32 patch looks too intimidating, try PR 242625.

I guess that here lies the solution, that we someday finally get WoW64 Wine, so that we will be able to play both 64 and 32-bit titles. But until then, I am happy if I can play some older titles with i386-wine, like right now, I am playing STALKER - Call of Pripyat. And for that I had to install d3dx9 with winetricks...

But why stupid package? It's the only package I know that enables me to play old windows games at the moment.

I don't know what to tell you. Why must you always interpret everything literally when every common word has at least a dozen of different meanings in English? "stupid" in the sense that it has been a source of constant annoyance to me for at least 3 years. More than one dictionary confirms I'm not straying far from the normal usage of the word.

DirectX10 works i was playing HELLDIVERS™ Dive Harder Edition and it worked perfectly.

I am saying this because in the video settings menu of TF2 I could only see "directx9" greyed out, without the possibility of selecting anything else.
BTW, have you ever managed to play "Bioshock2" or "Call of Juarez"? Do you have any recommendations which winetricks to use to achieve maximum possible compatibility for any games?

And how do I know which directx version is supported anyway? Dxdiag.exe does not work:

Code:
$ wine dxdiag.exe
0009:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000030
0009:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info stub
0009:fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e7d0,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e590,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {aeb2cdd4-6e41-43ea-941c-8361cc760781}.
0009:err:avicap:query_video_device Video 4 Linux support not enabled
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
0009:fixme:dxdiag:wWinMain Information dialog is not implemented
$

And how do I know which directx version is supported anyway? Dxdiag.exe does not work:

DXDiag works but the informations are useless, i have set the operation system to win10 and it says win7.

There is also written DirectX 9.0c but 10 or higher is supported. I can confirm that by playing Clone Hero.

Screenshot from 2019-12-16 11-27-17.png

You also can see in the folders that wine ships DX 9,10 & 11 out of the box

Screenshot from 2019-12-16 12-00-14.png

have you ever managed to play "Bioshock2" or "Call of Juarez"?

I dont own the 2 games.

But:

Bioshock 2: (Not the remastered one) uses GFWL, you may want to try XLiveless. I have used that for Grand Theft Auto IV but dont know if it works for other games too.

Call of Juarez: Many people have told that DirectX10 is not working for this game, you should try to use DirectX 9. I guess it should be enough to start CoJ.exe instead of CoJ_DX10.exe.

I am currently working to get WoW64 working with wine. I haven't made much progress yet, but I will try to keep everyone updated when I have something to share.

Also, I had the old maintainer of the i386-wine port send me his build information, and if anyone would like to get a copy just PM your email address.

Can you please elaborate on that? There can't be a clean solution not involving portmgr@ in some way. If you are simply talking about getting WoW64 to work, that never was the issue. The hard part is reaching consensus on how to build it in an amd64 poudriere jail in a fully automated way.

Plus I personally consider the inability to compile Wine straight from the git checkout to be an important UX issue. Have ever you tried bisecting commits with i386-wine-devel and chroot build? It's unbelievable the upstream project still tolerates us.

Can you please elaborate on that? There can't be a clean solution not involving portmgr@ in some way. If you are simply talking about getting WoW64 to work, that never was the issue. The hard part is reaching consensus on how to build it in an amd64 poudriere jail in a fully automated way.

Plus I personally consider the inability to compile Wine straight from the git checkout to be an important UX issue. Have ever you tried bisecting commits with i386-wine-devel and chroot build? It's unbelievable the upstream project still tolerates us.

Elaborate on what exactly? I want Wine to work on BSD just like it does on Linux. If I have to build it from source then I can do that, but there is no good documentation on making that work. I'm working to make it easier for everyone to have a properly working Wine installation.

In my lack of expertise on this matter I can only say that I am happy to see that you guys are trying to continue with this. I think it is important that you find a common strategy and procedure here and if necessary, get involved or make aware the others responsible for the issues / impedements to continue implementing wine / wow64 on FreeBSD.

Slightly off topic but has to do with gaming so I am going with it: wife got me a PS4 last year and I have been gaming using a keyboard and mouse since 1988. Using the controller is like handing me a cantelope and saying "game with this". I am learning slowly but die a lot 😄

Did you miss the cited part? Somebody messed the default forum style a while ago, it might not be immediately noticeable.

I'm definitely not referring to any controller patches.

The PR, right? I saw it, let me read through it to get a better understanding of what it is asking. Not a developer so not used to reading these.

Anyone? The maintainer won't even consider merging the patch unless a third party confirms that it actually works.
I'm off of UE4 "duty" for now until Epic releases a new one :) I'll give it a go, probably tomorrow or maybe this evening if possible.

To be clear, I'm not promising the patch will be merged, this is just a prerequisite for reviewing it. (If that sounds a bit ridiculous, well, yes, I'm not happy about such hoops either.)

Last edited:
I had no idea some of these source ports existed, they are really cool.
I refer to things like.. dhewm3, devilutionx, regoth, fnanify

I see there is one for gta 3 as well (openrw) but I don't see any ports to freebsd.

Anyone got a list of source ports like this?

Back