What about gaming on FreeBSD?

Has anyone played this little addicting game? games/tomatoes
Try it, you wont forget it. It has various cool tools to blow tomatoes.
My highscore is 501. Here I'll tell you how to rock. keep rolling(orbiting) around a smallest square you find and place bombs.

# = bomb
O = You

#1...________
.......|.............|O
.......|________|
#2.................#3

"You" is waiting for bomb #1 to blow and place next bomb above. That is the best method I've found to make highest score.

I mean lots of "nested exception" errors. On the positive side, I finally forced myself to actually read this code and apparently that happens when Wine is crashing with segfault in one of its signal handlers. Wouldn't ever guess it from the message.

It seems that the steam legacy client is since today officially not longer available, the client downloads straight the newer client and says that winxp is no longer supported, damn.. The problem is that the store and the friends functions don't work with the newer client. This kills playing with friends etc...

I have found out that downloading a copy of the legacy client before that day and blocking the package folder seems to be the workaround for now. Let's see how long that lasts. 😂

The problem is that the store and the friends functions don't work with the newer client.

The browser component under Wine shifts between broken and working states all the time. Probably with each CEF update. That is where the Linux client has a slight edge, although unfortunately UI performance is noticeably worse.

Ok, so apparently Proton loads lsteamclient.dll.so, which in turn loads steamclient.so, which is a closed source binary distributed with the Linux Steam client. This is rather inconvenient.

Why is that inconvenient? Isn't nvidia-driver closed source, too? If it is for legal reasons, then wouldn't it be possible to ask for permission? As far as I know there are ports that require clicking some acknowledgement in order to install them. So could this not be done in this case as well?

I was born at 1976 at that time we played games like leisure suit larry 1 and other fantastic adventures like monkey island etc
Simple platform games like nicky boom ! Or more advanced games like alone in the dark , i don't know if we had more fantasy
but i prefered those games rather than these modern games like the latest wolfestain , no fantasy at all metro was better but
all more or less the new games are like they copied each other and their stories are not interesting like for example bioshock !
I mean i had more fun with pixelated games like stardew valley and isaac or lakevew cabin, zomboid or zombie night terror than
the new AA Game titles i have played.
For me if freebsd can run these pixelated game titles its more than i need to have ! (or other light multiplayer games like mount and blade , counter strike the old one , battlefield vietnam -old version of battlefield) these games were cool !

I was born at 1976 at that time we played games like leisure suit larry 1 and other fantastic adventures like monkey island etc
Simple platform games like nicky boom ! Or more advanced games like alone in the dark , i don't know if we had more fantasy
but i prefered those games rather than these modern games like the latest wolfestain , no fantasy at all metro was better but
all more or less the new games are like they copied each other and their stories are not interesting like for example bioshock !
I mean i had more fun with pixelated games like stardew valley and isaac or lakevew cabin, zomboid or zombie night terror than
the new AA Game titles i have played.
For me if freebsd can run these pixelated game titles its more than i need to have ! (or other light multiplayer games like mount and blade , counter strike the old one , battlefield vietnam -old version of battlefield) these games were cool !

Diablo II <3

It's a Linux library, which means we must either run Proton entirely under Linuxulator or deal with the same technique (glibc shim) I'm using for Vulkan libraries to be able to load it with natively compiled Wine.

I managed to start 4 (out of 7 tested) games with the latter method, so it actually works to an extent.

Recommending some games I didn't see them in thread.
games/openttd Pretty famous and popular clone of the old Transport Tycoon Deluxe game with active developement team with online servers and many nice players.
games/7kaa This award winning strategy game is rather hard and violent, but it has great features worth spending some time to play.
games/hedgewars A Worms like game with funy hogs fighting with their weapons, dev team is active and it's very easy to join online servers and fine some cool dudes to play.
games/minetest I really really recommend this one since it is similar to minecraft and is totally free. there are also online servers and active players.
games/corsix-th A clone of old DOS Theme Hospital, but you need to have a copy of original game. I really enjoyed playing this game.
games/pingus Another popular game, similar to lemmings in NES. It's very old but worth spending some time.
games/colobot Again strongly recommended, It's a 3D astronaut game about how to program bots with Java, It's both learning programing and playing game with 3D features which helps you understand more how to program robots. It has recently added to ports system.

with Homura you can play 32bit windows games on freebsd but i don't know if vulkan is supported or you have to use 32bit freebsd to take advantage of that.

with Homura you can play 32bit windows games on freebsd but i don't know if vulkan is supported or you have to use 32bit freebsd to take advantage of that.

Homura is just a launcher that works on top of i368-wine-devel, right? So what are the differences/advantages of using homura compared to just using i386-wine-devel? And what I would also like to ask in that context: Why is i386-wine-devel stuck to version 4.0.r1_1,1 for such a long time now? Is it not being developed anymore?

Homura is just a launcher that works on top of i368-wine-devel, right? So what are the differences/advantages of using homura compared to just using i386-wine-devel?

There is no difference or adveantage in general, with Homura i only ship the required fixes and workarounds to get stuff easily working.

Why is i386-wine-devel stuck to version 4.0.r1_1,1 for such a long time now? Is it not being developed anymore?

The maintainer of i386-wine[devel] seems to do nothing more in general since April.

We don't really have a maintainer for i368-wine at the moment. And even if somebody replaces dbn@, I wouldn't expect any updates for that stupid package.

We don't really have a maintainer for i368-wine at the moment. And even if somebody replaces dbn@, I wouldn't expect any updates for that stupid package.
I was rather oblivious to this myself apparently, I thought it was still maintained. I've been toying around with it for a while, building more recent versions (it's not difficult, just update the version number).
I guess if this state persists I'll have to take it up myself somewhere in the future when I'm a bit less busy. I'd rather see a different solution (as in your GitHub repo), but I haven't looked into any requests for that.
Which reminds me: if you'd like people to step up somehow to talk about this on the mailing list, feel free to ask. I'm sure there are a few people who'd love to see 32-bit libraries on amd64 just to be able to use wine.

I was rather oblivious to this myself apparently, I thought it was still maintained.

i386-wine(-devel) is written in a way that is difficult to break, so it doesn't require much maintenance except for the very obnoxious package publishing procedure. That part borders on self-abuse.

I've been toying around with it for a while, building more recent versions (it's not difficult, just update the version number).

Well, numbers are in wine(-devel), which is maintained by gerald@. No trouble there, although I've got the impression that gerald@ would rather maintain something else.

Back