What about gaming on FreeBSD?

1. build i386-wine-devel port and install it;
  2. build wine-devel port and copy it to /opt/wine without installing;
  3. add /opt/wine/usr/local/bin to $PATH;
  4. before using Wine start 64-bit wineserver explicitly with env WINEPREFIX=whatever /opt/wine/usr/local/bin/wineserver --foreground --persistent
Remember to keep i386-wine-devel and wine-devel versions in sync.

Thanks for sharing this, could you suggest a way to keep these versions in sync?

Because always is problem. However this is a Valve version of wine. In FreeBSD repository is exist a older version without Vulcan support and DX12.

Newest version of WINE is a 4.2. It have Direct3D and Vulkan support and probably Valve Inc. working on it, because steam. And FreeBSD do not have it.

Vallenhack; Many games do not use Vulkan yet. Direct3D is very well supported. Are you just wanting 4.3 because the numbers are higher or is there an actual reason for your concern?

Vallenhack; Many games do not use Vulkan yet. Direct3D is very well supported. Are you just wanting 4.3 because the numbers are higher or is there an actual reason for your concern?

Sounds like Vallenhack has a few facts mixed up. Last year Valve introduced Steam Play, which a way of playing Windows games under the Linux Steam client. The actual tool, Proton, consists of Steam integration (obviously); Valve's Wine fork, currently at version 4.2; dxvk and a few more libs. Dxvk is a d3d11-to-vulkan translation layer, which development Valve sponsors.

Now, why would someone expect anything of that to be available under FreeBSD is beyond me. We don't even have a proper automatic procedure for building i386-wine-devel package, it has to be uploaded to the repo by the maintainer.

Newest version of WINE is a 4.2. It have Direct3D and Vulkan support and probably Valve Inc. working on it, because steam. And FreeBSD do not have it.
From the FreeBSD ports repository
i386-wine-4.0.1,1
i386-wine-devel-4.11,1
wine-4.0.1,1
wine-devel-4.11,1

From the Wine website
Latest Releases
Stable:
Wine 4.0.1 (shortlog)
Development:
Wine 4.11 (shortlog)

So, the latest wine version can be compiled and run on FreeBSD. Both version numbers are in sync (cfr. your earlier question).
Why do you want wine 4.2 if you can have wine 4.11? For the record I don't know if it has vulkan support, but just saying that it is the latest version.

This isn't talking about Proton though, which is a Valve distribution of Wine with DXVK and some other changes.
That piece of software isn't ported to FreeBSD, probably in part because it uses a lot of Linux-centric scripts to do the building. Reminds me of Google projects :(

shkhln we were basically typing the same things so I cut it off here. Also, you have a double post You were right about that ajax issue :)

This isn't talking about Proton though, which is a Valve distribution of Wine with DXVK and some other changes.
That piece of software isn't ported to FreeBSD, probably in part because it uses a lot of Linux-centric scripts to do the building. Reminds me of Google projects :(

There is no point in working on that until FreeBSD Wine packaging issues are solved.

I wish I knew. I remember seeing this on the mailing list once, so I'm guessing you already tried that. If I'm wrong, that's probably still the best bet.

Back