What about gaming on FreeBSD?

I have been trying to get Final Fantasy XIV to run. No luck so far.. I can only get so far as to finish patching.

Sucks because it runs on Linux with the same methods, I guess it is an issue with 32bit and64bit wine being seperate

Hey, how are you running the 64bit version?

See this patch, which in turn is based on https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16830. Although I would rather recommend you to try my previous approach to enabling wow64 since it doesn't require custom patches:
  1. build i386-wine-devel port and install it;
  2. build wine-devel port and copy it to /opt/wine without installing;
  3. add /opt/wine/usr/local/bin to $PATH;
  4. before using Wine start 64-bit wineserver explicitly with env WINEPREFIX=whatever /opt/wine/usr/local/bin/wineserver --foreground --persistent
Remember to keep i386-wine-devel and wine-devel versions in sync.

See this patch, which in turn is based on https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16830. Although I would rather recommend you to try my previous approach to enabling wow64 since it doesn't require custom patches:
  4. before using Wine start 64-bit wineserver explicitly with env WINEPREFIX=whatever /opt/wine/usr/local/bin/wineserver --foreground --persistent

thanks

Playing games on FreeBSD has no problems. It is your freedom to do or not. I am playing games/nexuiz, games/alienarena.

Hopefully I have some time to test emulators/mame this week. The version in the ports tree is still 0.200. I've managed to get the port updated to 0.207. The port builds, some patches were required and I needed to adjust pkg-plist. Poudriere's 'testport' is happy with it. I have an extensive ROM collection for 207 ready to go. But need to see if it actually works before I can submit patches for it.

Getting MAME roms is the tricky bit. But if you have good sets you can play quite a lot of games, including classics like "Donkey Kong", "Space Invaders" or "Galaga". And I don't mean remastered or remade stuff, I mean the actual original arcade games.

Just bought (rebought) Diablo I on GOG - runs with wine but not yet playable because the menus are black. Lots of discussion about it on GOG forums so perhaps someone will come up with a fix. The scenematics (?) run fine ,odd that the menus don't.

Both ZSNES and Gens are no longer developed. And they are not particularly accurate emulators either, so no reason to stick with them.

exciting and endless world of retro gaming ... Who needs DirectX

Please, don't take it personally, but I really hate this kind of well-meaning advice. You are essentially burying any useful information about current multimedia/gaming situation (wine, linuxulator, fnaify, widevine, etc) under piles of pointless "you don't need it" arguments.

roccobaroccoSC, I think you are a bit confused. The only way to legally download Nintendo's first-party titles is through their Virtual Console service available on their own hardware. With the exception of redumping original cartridges, anything else is strictly illegal. As for abandonware, it doesn't have any legal definition, so it still constitutes copyright infringement, although usually it is "nobody cares" type of situation.

roccobaroccoSC, I think you are a bit confused. The only way to legally download Nintendo first party titles is through their Virtual Console service available on their own hardware. Anything else is strictly illegal, except maybe redumping original cartridges. As for abandonware, it doesn't have any legal definition (allowing redistribution), so it's still constitutes copyright infringement, although usually it is "nobody cares" type of situation.
I will not debate the legal topics here. That was exactly the reason I did not want to cite URLs. The web sites have owners and those owners are responsible for ensuring the published content is legal. It is impossible as a web user to verify the legality of every file my browser downloads. This is off-topic.
I removed the post with the URLs to avoid future confusion.

Fact is - the metioned emulators are playable on FreeBSD, with thousands of titles to play. Sourcing the ROMs from a legal distributor is a completely separate topic. For what I am concerned, you just go to GameStop and buy the ROMs on a DVD.

Yes, same holds true for MAME roms. They're easy enough to find but have dubious legality. There are even shops that sell complete sets on disk but none of them are legal (although lots of shops claim they are).

They're only legal if you own the cartridge, cd or arcade case. The owners of those websites say that you must or should own the game in order to download the rom.

Authors still have a desire to still make money off of abandonware too. Some companies don't care, but Nintendo sues rom websites, because they want to sell old NES games on Switch. The MAME website says that ROM downloading and abandonware software is not in gray area. Talking about it brings unwanted attention.

I do not see how I would use that patch...?
Could you be more in depth with your steps please?

Back