I can't believe I'm actually writing this from www/netsurf with JavaScript disabled right now (though I'm still on Arch Linux preparing myself for a first FreeBSD installation attempt on my laptop).

I think for looking up some light stuff like documentation this is quite a reasonable solution, but of course no replacement for doing mainstream things that require a password manager, spelling correction and the usual web nonsense.

Heh, well I am reading your post on netsurf myself. Its reads loud and clear :)

I am trying to cut down on things that overly consume browser features anyway. So netsurf is very reasonable for my uses (but one that I unfortunately can't always recommend for others with different browsing habits).
The only reason I really have to keep a backup browser is for dreaded internet banking. Those things are terrible!

If I keep entirely to those sites, it remains reasonably safe. However the banking website are so overly bloated that I simply cannot see them being secure.

Is anybody interested in creating a port for this (preferably with libva support for HW accelerated video)?
There is an open issue for adding FreeBSD support but that hasn't found more interest since 2016, though I'm confident that @Eloston is willing to provide support if any questions arise.

Regular Chromium just doesn't cut it privacy-wise and I don't see the point in the many Chromium clones except that one project that just removes anything Google, resulting in a plain Chromium without all the nasty stuff. I know that there is Iridium browser in ports, but that one gets updated quite infrequent (so I'm concerned about possible security issues) and since ungoogled-chromium lists Iridium browser as one of the sources for borrowed features it's just not the same.

P.S. I would (try to create a port for it) if I could, but I'm not a programmer or developer but just a user. I'm currently still on Arch Linux, but I think I want to try with FreeBSD after quite some time on my laptop again.
Not yet in the ports tree, but according to this page there's some recent activity:

and a binary is available here (which I was curious to try):

Spoiler alert...it works.

Code:
$ mkdir -p $HOME/bin/ungoogled-chromium
$ cd $HOME/bin/ungoogled-chromium
$ tar xvf ~/Downloads/ungoogled-chromium-100.0.4896.88.pkg
$ cd

To avoid clobbering the chromium profile if you have one, invoke as:

Code:
$ $HOME/bin/ungoogled-chromium/usr/local/share/ungoogled-chromium/chrome-wrapper --user-data-dir=$HOME/.config/ungoogled-chromium

(otherwise the profile will default to $HOME/.config/chromium).

Extensions can be installed/updated using:

NB - for this to work, go to "chrome://flags", search for #extension-mime-request-handling and set it to "Always prompt for install".

Edit: typo

what's the difference to www/iridium?
Iridium goes through a process where code embedded URL's are replaced with an Iridium URL. The code is then tested to see what information is being harvested. As you can imagine, this process requires some time and historically, cannot keep up with all the Chromium releases. Ungoogled chromium harvests patches from Iridium, Inox, Debian and Bromite.
See "Borrowed Features" at github:
https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

Ungoogled chromium is usually no more than a week or 2 behind upstream. Also, Ungoogled-Chromium provides arm/arm64 android builds.

Thanks for the heads-up. I had just been using the FreeBSD binary from the github downloads page so far. Have just installed from the pkg repo. One minor "gotcha" I discovered is that to run it via the wrapper script I had to edit the last line in /usr/local/share/ungoogled-chromium/chrome-wrapper:

Code:
#exec $CMD_PREFIX "$HERE/chrome" "$@"
exec $CMD_PREFIX "$HERE/ungoogled-chromium" "$@"

so that the exec line refers to ungoogled-chromium instead of chrome.

Does anyone know how to set ungoogled-chromium as the default browser? The "Make Default" option doesn't work, or if it does, it's lost after a reboot or upgrade.

Does anyone know how to set ungoogled-chromium as the default browser? The "Make Default" option doesn't work, or if it does, it's lost after a reboot or upgrade.
That depends on your system setup/configuration.
"Default applications" are not handled by FreeBSD. Look for the corresponding documentation of whatever session manager / DE you're using.

Add the following code to the ~/.config/mimeapps.list file (under the [Default Applications] section):

text/html=chromium-browser.desktop

Back