Steamuxulation redux

OP
S

shkhln

Daemon

This is not really "fixable" (it's not a bug in the first place) unless you update all glibc libs in-place.

scratchi

This is not really "fixable" (it's not a bug in the first place) unless you update all glibc libs in-place.
Right, bad wording, I realize it's not a bug. So is there a recommended way to update glibc, considering there is no linux-c8 port yet? I found a forum post where someone suggests copying it from centos8 and booting with newer linux newer kernel (that's available in fbsd13 current apparently). That sounds like it might break things...

Does/can libc6-shim help with this?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you :)

markj

Developer

Regarding the wine64 segfaults reported earlier in the thread, I'm seeing the same thing on -CURRENT with the binary wine-proton packages (both amd64 and i386) and with amd64 wine-proton compiled from ports.

gdb shows that we're crashing in __wine_process_init() in ntdll when attempting to access some TLS item. Only one thread exists at the time of the crash. %gs is not initialized with amd64_set_gsbase(), so we end up trying to dereference 0x30. ntdll's signal_init_thread() isn't getting called, which means that __wine_main() isn't getting called. Indeed, wine_init() is calling __wine_process_init() after loading the ntdll SO.

... and while writing that I see the problem. load_ntdll() is busted if procfs is not mounted. So, if you're seeing wine segfaults, make sure to run

# mount -t procfs none /proc

and update /etc/fstab.

OP
S

shkhln

Daemon

So is there a recommended way to update glibc, considering there is no linux-c8 port yet? I found a forum post where someone suggests copying it from centos8 and booting with newer linux newer kernel (that's available in fbsd13 current apparently). That sounds like it might break things...
This is relatively safe, however you must replace all glibc libraries (ld-linux.so, libc.so, libm.so, libpthread.so and so on) simultaneously, they have internal dependencies.

Does/can libc6-shim help with this?
No.