Zirias

Daemon

FAQ: If Delta Chat uses E-Mail, is it really an Instant Messenger?
Well, what to expect from a FAQ answer of the project itself? IMHO, that's all moot, as email just isn't designed that way. With email, your message can get queued anywhere on the way indefinitely and you will only eventually get a bounce in case of a permanent error. For instant messaging, you want instant acknowledge of the receiver. I still think this is a pretty bad idea.
If work for Electron on FreeBSD has resumed and building Electron apps is the issue, not running them, any idea what's needed to try running a prebuilt Electron binary on FreeBSD?
Basically, a prebuilt binary FOR FreeBSD. Electron apps are NOT OS agnostic.
And the trouble with building Electron apps is what you can see looking into a port doing that. Everything using npm and/or yarn is a major PITA for creating a reliable, reproducible and packageable build.

sidetone

Daemon

The main benefits I see over XMPP is that you don't need to run your own XMPP instance or have to sign up at and trust a 3rd party server
XMPP offers OMEMO and PGP end to end encryption.
you can reach anyone with an email address, even if the other side is not using Delta Chat, in which case the other party simply can participate using his/her usual email client (only then communication is unencrypted, unless that email client supports Autocrypt or manual OpenPGP setup).
It really is a fascinating concept and totally reminds on how WhatsApp became that successful (by using existing mobile phone numbers instead of regular signups). Just think about it, you can easily reach anyone with an email address without the other party having to sign up or install any software beforehand, so no convincing to move to a new service involved, with the other side hopefully getting interested and starting to use that system after the fact.
Sounds convenient.

It sounds like a good addition for messaging on an existing system of email.

Still, email can be sent by a spoofed address on a secure and encrypted connection, because there's so many server/connection places where the spoof can originate from. On XMPP, only one server where the client signed up can send and change certain data, as there's no more than 2 servers that use SSL certificates to identify themselves to each other, and they set certain data that the client can't set. The only way a spoof is possible here is, is if one client address has a Unicode letter that looks like a regular character. With Omemo or PGP on XMPP, the message is encrypted, but I'm not sure whether header data is too.

We all use email, and we're mostly good with that. I wonder what could be the next thing like email with a direct federation model.

I wanted to point out the differences of direct federated and indirect federated systems.
Delta Chat is not a newcomer
SIP/SIMPLE and XMPP are the only ones that are open-source standards by IETF (a standard has a different distinction than a client). SIP/XIMPLE and XMPP can be standardized for use among different offerings of organizations or providers. Signal has endorsements, and is supported by Open Technology Fund.

Either way, it's good to hear the strengths of Delta Chat and if it gets endorsements.

acheron

Aspiring Daemon
Developer

Nice, but unfortunately there is no port for siggo either. I'd prefer software that's easy to install and keep up-to-date.

Awesome! Do you have a web page or repo for that to be able to follow your progress?
I put my notes / build instructions here: https://github.com/MikaelUrankar/signal-desktop (it's pretty rough at this point and I still have no clue of how to fix the ENOTTY problem...)
Text messaging is working, I haven't tried video call.

OP
M

MasterOne

I put my notes / build instructions here: https://github.com/MikaelUrankar/signal-desktop (it's pretty rough at this point and I still have no clue of how to fix the ENOTTY problem...)
Text messaging is working, I haven't tried video call.
Any idea if this information can be applied to the deltachat-desktop app as well?

I have given up looking into Signal and just installed the Delta Chat Android apps on our phones. Having the desktop app available as well, would be really great.