Issue with default Linuxulator: failed to load amdgpu

D

Deleted member 67862

I've been running a Linux binary (its from an open-source Godot project but there was no FreeBSD version) using the default Linuxulator. Weirdly enough, this binary worked the other day because it complained about the same error below and I installed graphics/linux-c7-dri and it worked. In the CLI, it still complained about failing to load amdgpu but it would at least launch and appear to be hardware accelerated. Today, I tried to launch the same game, but now it gives me the same error as before:

Your video card driver does not support any of the supported OpenGL versions.
Please update your drivers or if you have a very old or integrated GPU, upgrade it.
Alternatively, you can force software rendering by running Godot with the `LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1`
environment variable set, but this will be very slow.

Here is the CLI output:
Code:
ERROR: make_dir_recursive: Method failed. Returning: err
   At: core/os/dir_access.cpp:184.
ERROR: ensure_user_data_dir: Condition "err != OK" is true.
   At: core/os/os.cpp:498.
ERROR: make_dir_recursive: Method failed. Returning: err
   At: core/os/dir_access.cpp:184.
Godot Engine v3.3.3.stable.official.b973f997f - https://godotengine.org
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: amdgpu_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: amdgpu
libGL error: failed to authenticate magic 1
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  34 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  40
  Current serial number in output stream:  38
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  34 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  40
  Current serial number in output stream:  38
ERROR: initialize: Condition "ctxErrorOccurred || !p->glx_context" is true. Returned: ERR_UNCONFIGURED
   At: platform/x11/context_gl_x11.cpp:190.
ERROR: is_viable: Error initializing GLAD
   At: drivers/gles3/rasterizer_gles3.cpp:141.

Any insight on a linux-c7 package that would fix this would be appreciated. These are the linux-c7 packages I have installed:

Code:
linux-c7-alsa-lib-1.1.8        Advanced Linux Sound Architecture libraries (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-alsa-plugins-oss-1.1.6_3 OSS plugin for ALSA (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-dri-18.3.4_4          Mesa libGL runtime libraries (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-elfutils-libelf-0.176_2 ELF file handling library (CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-elfutils-libs-0.176_2 ELF file handling libraries (CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-expat-2.1.0_4         XML 1.0 parser written in C (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-fontconfig-2.13.0     XML-based font configuration API for X Windows (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-freetype-2.8_2        Font rendering engine (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-libdrm-2.4.97         Interface to kernel Direct Rendering Module (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-libglvnd-1.0.1        GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-libpciaccess-0.14     Generic PCI access library (CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-libpng-1.5.13_3       Library for manipulating PNG images (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-wayland-1.15.0        Wayland compositor libraries (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
linux-c7-xorg-libs-7.7_9       Xorg libraries (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)

I recently had an amdgpu issue. It had nothing to do with Linux emulation, just X wouldn't start. I fixed it by uninstalling the drm-kmod package and then installing drm-fbsd13-kmod from ports.
Prior to yesterday, it had worked without problems, I don't know why it stopped working, I don't remember doing any updates. The thread is here, if it helps at all. https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/drm-kmod-oddity.85652/

I recently had an amdgpu issue. It had nothing to do with Linux emulation, just X wouldn't start. I fixed it by uninstalling the drm-kmod package and then installing drm-fbsd13-kmod from ports.
Prior to yesterday, it had worked without problems, I don't know why it stopped working, I don't remember doing any updates. The thread is here, if it helps at all. https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/drm-kmod-oddity.85652/
Ive had this same problem too since 13.1-RELEASE. I had to build drm-510-kmod from ports and lock it, it loads the driver successfully and boots into X11. Why it's suddenly doing this now with the Linux emulation I don't know.

I had figured it was my hardware. I hope you solve it. In my case, it seemed pretty random, worked one day, then stopped working.

I had figured it was my hardware. I hope you solve it. In my case, it seemed pretty random, worked one day, then stopped working.
Thanks. This isn't mission-critical, but I'm just confused as to why it stopped working. On a side note, even when it worked it couldn't load map data correctly. Very strange..

You have an RX 5XX gpu right? Seems to have struck all of us after the new release.

Running pciconf -lv shows (AMD/ATI) Radeon Vega series/ Radeon Mobile Series, so I don't think so (though I know little about VGA cards, so may be mistaken.)

Running pciconf -lv shows (AMD/ATI) Radeon Vega series/ Radeon Mobile Series, so I don't think so (though I know little about VGA cards, so may be mistaken.)
Oh yeah, still uses the amdgpu driver which is the source of this mess.

Even with the full linux-c7 metapackage, I run into the same error. I'm starting to think its what has kept most games from games/linux-steam-utils from working because I get it in the majority that crash on startup.

Seems to have struck all of us after the new release.
What "Release" are you talking about? Your problem is obviously only related to the Linux version of mesa-dri. The last time this was substantially updated was in 2019 when linux-c7 packages were updated to CentOS 7.7.1908.

This package contains the OpenGL lib including the user-space drivers (and to run Linux programs, you need the Linux versions of all this). It never contained amdgpu-dri.so (as can be verified in the commit log), but your log shows it also tries to load radeonsi-dri.so, which is present in the package, so it's most likely the correct driver. If this suddenly fails for you, I'd rather suspect your installation might have been corrupted. You could try to reinstall all linux-c7 packages (using pkg install -f).

Oh yeah, still uses the amdgpu driver which is the source of this mess.
Here, you're confusing the userspace driver for libGL with the kernel driver that's loaded as a module into the FreeBSD kernel. This one is indeed called amdgpu.ko.

This package contains the OpenGL lib including the user-space drivers (and to run Linux programs, you need the Linux versions of all this). It never contained amdgpu-dri.so (as can be verified in the commit log), but your log shows it also tries to load radeonsi-dri.so, which is present in the package, so it's most likely the correct driver. If this suddenly fails for you, I'd rather suspect your installation might have been corrupted. You could try to reinstall all linux-c7 packages (using pkg install -f).
Why is amdgpu-dri.so not included? It has always been my understanding that radeon/radeonsi is for older AMD graphics cards while AMDGPU is for newer. I have an RX 580, a relatively new card, so given that xorg driver "xf86-video-amdgpu" works and I also need the kernel module amdgpu.ko for my hardware acceleration to work, I think this libGL driver is also what I need.

Linux-steam-utils, the example I used in the OP, is the same again:
ComputeStartupMode: found registry default startup mode: 0[[ '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steamwebhelper.sh' '-lang=en_US' '-cachedir=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/config/htmlcache' '-steampid=49722' '-buildid=1660960119' '-steamid=0' '-logdir=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/logs' '-composer-mode=0' '-steamuniverse=Public' '-realm=Global' '-clientui=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/clientui' --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver,Worklet,AudioWorklet --enable-media-stream --disable-blink-features=Badging --enable-smooth-scrolling --use-angle=gl --use-cmd-decoder=passthrough --password-store=basic '--log-file=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/logs/cef_log.txt' --disable-quick-menu --no-sandbox --in-process-gpu]]
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1660960119)
steamwebhelper.sh[59968]: Runtime for steamwebhelper: defaulting to /usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steam-runtime-heavy
steamwebhelper.sh[59968]: CEF sandbox already disabled

As you can see, neither amdgpu nor radeonsi are loading. I get choppy performance through the Linuxulator, so I have to figure out how to get at least one of these to load and which one I need.

Why is amdgpu-dri.so not included? It has always been my understanding that radeon/radeonsi is for older AMD graphics cards while AMDGPU is for newer.
I think you're (still) confusing that with the kernel driver. The native FreeBSD graphics/mesa-dri doesn't have a amdgpu_dri.so either:
Code:
$ pkg list mesa-dri | grep lib/dri
/usr/local/lib/dri/crocus_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/i830_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/i915_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/i965_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/r600_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
/usr/local/lib/dri/vmwgfx_dri.so

hunter0one Can you give a log again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose ?

BTW, amdgpu_dri.so seems to be part of amdgpu-pro driver.
Code:
ERROR: ld.so: object 'steamfix.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] Startup - updater built Aug 20 2022 01:16:55
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] Startup - Steam Client launched with: '/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam'
/tmp/dumps is not owned by us - delete and recreate
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/steam/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/steam/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: using driver amdgpu for 9
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/amdgpu_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/amdgpu_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/amdgpu_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/amdgpu_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] Using the following download hosts for Public, Realm steamglobal
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] 1. https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com, /client/, Realm 'steamglobal', weight was 100, source = 'update_hosts_cached.vdf'
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] 2. https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com, /client/, Realm 'steamglobal', weight was 100, source = 'update_hosts_cached.vdf'
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] 3. http://media.steampowered.com, /client/, Realm 'steamglobal', weight was 1, source = 'baked in'
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] Verifying installation...
[2022-08-24 20:27:56] Verification complete
Loaded SDL version 2.25.0-7450656
sh: lspci: command not found
libGL: using driver amdgpu for 21
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/amdgpu_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/amdgpu_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ComputeStartupMode: found registry default startup mode: 0[[ '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steamwebhelper.sh' '-lang=en_US' '-cachedir=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/config/htmlcache' '-steampid=1139' '-buildid=1660960119' '-steamid=0' '-logdir=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/logs' '-composer-mode=0' '-steamuniverse=Public' '-realm=Global' '-clientui=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/clientui' --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver,Worklet,AudioWorklet --enable-media-stream --disable-blink-features=Badging --enable-smooth-scrolling --use-angle=gl --use-cmd-decoder=passthrough --password-store=basic '--log-file=/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/logs/cef_log.txt' --disable-quick-menu --no-sandbox --in-process-gpu]]
steamwebhelper.sh[14516]: Runtime for steamwebhelper: defaulting to /usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steam-runtime-heavy
steamwebhelper.sh[14516]: CEF sandbox already disabled
libGL: using driver amdgpu for 21
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 28 milliseconds to initialize
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for 8: -1: setpriority() failed
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for priority 8
Warning: support for elevated priorities is most likely unavailable, suppressing future warnings
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for 8: -1: setpriority() failed

(steam:1139): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:27:57.820: gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()
local (potentially out of sync) copy of roaming config loaded - 236 bytes.
roaming config store loaded successfully - 236 bytes.
migrating temporary roaming config store
BRefreshApplicationsInLibrary 1: 4ms
Failed to init SteamVR because it isn't installed
sh: lspci: command not found
libGL: using driver amdgpu for 107
ExecCommandLine: "'/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam'"
System startup time: 3.84 seconds

(steam:1139): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 20:28:00.180: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:1139): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 20:28:00.180: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

BuildCompleteAppOverviewChange: 189
RegisterForAppOverview 1: 15ms
RegisterForAppOverview 2: 15ms

I installed graphics/linux-c7-glx-utils and used the glxgears demo included to test acceleration with the Linux emulator. It ran smoothly and didn't even use FreeSync which I have turned on natively so it was like 2,000 FPS. I get the same "failed to load driver" errors. I'm really curious why an application that isn't Steam can run fine, but Steam itself is slow and choppy. IIRC Steam is 32-bit and on Linux you have to install a lot of 32-bit glx libraries for it to work properly, could it be that there are just 64-bit libraries with the regular graphics/linux-c7-dri package?

I installed graphics/linux-c7-glx-utils and used the glxgears demo included to test acceleration with the Linux emulator. It ran smoothly and didn't even use FreeSync which I have turned on natively so it was like 2,000 FPS.
You are not supposed to look at FPS with glxgears. Its only utility is telling you whether there is any OpenGL implementation present (that can be correctly initialized). glxgears -info or glxinfo will print the name of it.

could it be that there are just 64-bit libraries with the regular graphics/linux-c7-dri package?
Click your link, look at the pkg-plist section.

You are not supposed to look at FPS with glxgears. Its only utility is telling you whether there is any OpenGL implementation present (that can be correctly initialized). glxgears -info or glxinfo will print the name of it
In this case, GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 128 bits) I suppose is the implementation used.

Click your link, look at the pkg-plist section.
So it does have both, yet it won't load radeonsi which should be whats needed because it can't be found. Edit: Before you ask, I have confirmed these exist on my system:

Code:
/compat/linux/usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
/compat/linux/usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1
/compat/linux/usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0
/compat/linux/usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0.0
/compat/linux/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
/compat/linux/usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1
/compat/linux/usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0
/compat/linux/usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0.0
/usr/local/lib/dri/radeonsi_dri.so

So I wasn't quite sure what to do, I read the whole Linux Binary Compatibility section of the Handbook and found nothing but I decided to remove a sysctl command I had changed ( compat.linux.osrelease) and reset it to the default 3.17.0. Glxinfo now shows the proper "Radeon RX 580 Series" GL_RENDERER value and nothing's choppy anymore.

Long story short: Don't permanently change sysctl commands unless you know what it does.

What value it was set to?
5.10.0. I was having trouble getting graphics to work after 13.1 released so I tried to match drm-510-kmod and never unset it.

Okay, nevermind. This didn't fix it like I thought. I woke the PC up from suspend and its choppy once again. I'm beginning to wonder if its related to the Linux-equivalent drivers not waking up from the suspend or something, because I've noticed it mainly begins after a suspend. Glxinfo once again shows that llvmpipe is the renderer used.

Its most definitely caused by the suspend or waking process resetting X.Org in the Linux compatibility layer to use llvmpipe. I can fix it by killing X (logging out in my case, SLiM always restarts X11) and logging back in and verifying that the compatibility layer is not using llvmpipe. Restarting X.Org instead of restarting the computer entirely (or just not suspending) is a better solution, but this is a bug that needs investigation.

Back