Solved Internet problems (VBox guest) on wireless bridged

Hi,
[Edit] Long story short:

My internet adapter fails to get a DHCP lease.

I have a VirtualBox FreeBSD guest running on a Windows host on a laptop. Because I will be on the go, I want to have
a) a direct connection to the internet from the guest with dynamic IP addresses and
b) a host-only connection so I can access services from host on the guest using static IP addresses

I set-up my home router to reserve addresses for all the MACs, so I can access the guest services via internet, but when I'm on the go, I would still like to access the various daemons via "host-only" loopback, i.e., the host should be seeing the daemons wherever I happen to be.

Currently, I'm "on-the-go", connecting via wireless to a router.

The problem is that my Guestie (guest FreeBSD) "refuses" to get an address from DHCP for the "bridged" type for virtio adapter, thus it can't access the internet.

I configured a bridge on the host (Windows) to aggregate wired and wireless adapters, because I need to disable the wireless adapter from time to time. I also configured a lagg failover, that includes only the bridged "virtio" adapter, in order to ease the firewall set-up.

The thing that's interesting is that while setting up network on boot, the internet adapter does
DHCPREQUEST broadcast,
a couple of DHCPDISCOVERs,
fails to get a DHCP response,
tries the recorded lease address,
tries DHCPREQUEST to my home router

I've tried disabling the "host-only" loopback DHCP, but to no avail. So, what could be the next step?

I suspect there's something wrong with the bridge on the host side. The guest is completely oblivious where it is attached to, all it has is a virtual interface. It's the host system that connects the virtual adapter to a physical network.

As mentioned this is more likely a network config issue that anything that can be fixed in FreeBSD. As far as I can see it's just a simple DHCP client running on a single interface.

Note also that bridging with wifi often causes problems as the access point only expects to see a single MAC address from the client. I know that in bhyve you normally have to use NAT in the virtual network so that the wifi ap only sees a single client.

I also configured a lagg failover, that includes only the bridged "virtio" adapter, in order to ease the firewall set-up.
I have no idea what you mean here. If this is in FreeBSD (which is suggested by the lagg terminology), then having a lagg group with only one interface seems useless and just adding complexity for nothing...

I have no idea what you mean here. If this is in FreeBSD (which is suggested by the lagg terminology), then having a lagg group with only one interface seems useless and just adding complexity for nothing...

In case I add some type of interface, I will not need to update the firewall ruleset. Maybe I went about it the wrong way?

Note also that bridging with wifi often causes problems as the access point only expects to see a single MAC address from the client.

Are you talking about the guest having its' own MAC address? Then I don't see how it pertains to bridging. So, the ethernet port can deal with multiple MACs but APs can not?

Still not solved.

Here's a screenshot.

VirtualBox_lydian_12_10_2018_13_27_03.png

I have dispersed with the lagg failover, since I think I will only have one internet link...

Are you talking about the guest having its' own MAC address? Then I don't see how it pertains to bridging. So, the ethernet port can deal with multiple MACs but APs can not?

Correct. The part of the driver that handles the AP functionality does that for security reasons.

Correct. The part of the driver that handles the AP functionality does that for security reasons.

I've seen a lot of posts about different wifi adapters, promiscous mode, etc.

Would you say then this is a major setback for guest-host bridging?

I suspect there's something wrong with the bridge on the host side. The guest is completely oblivious where it is attached to, all it has is a virtual interface. It's the host system that connects the virtual adapter to a physical network.

Got rid of the host-side bridge... no advance. Disabled local_unbound() as well. Please refer to the screenshot above. This happened in the middle of the minor upgrade ( freebsd-update()). The thing is, the problem is intermittent .

To put things in perspective

hp 250 G6 laptop
Intel skylake 6006u dual core dual thread
Realtek PCIe GBE family nic
intel dual wireless nic ac3168
Latest virtualbox with extension pack
host-only virtual driver present and active (for NFS)
host-only DHCP enabled
static IP table between MACs and IPs on home network and elswhere.
VirtualBox bridged with virtio used
virtual adapters host-only and bridge (to nic(s))
cable works fine w/ bridged eth+wifi on host, lagg on guest, and local_unbound active
wireless works intermittently regardless of the bridges, lagg ports and unbound service.

moving from 11.1-release to 11.2-release

Well, I ditched wireless bridged.

FYI, the thing that was slowing down the connection on NAT was
virtio. For some reason or another, VirtualBox provided "Intel PRO" ethernet emulation works, as opposed to virtio. So I guess for NAT, virtio is not an option.

Now I have one bridged ethernet, one host-only (which is mostly used) and one NAT emulated.

However, my local_unbound is messed up, so I got no WAN, but that's another story.
And another thread, *cough*bump*cough* bump-cough-bump

Back