installDesktop script (pkg, x, de, basic applications)

Quite good script which may help new users for sure :)

I would replace entries
Code:
echo "y" | pkg install <package>
with
Code:
pkg install -y <package>
This is the same but looks more professional :)

EDIT: Sorry, I have forgotten to add earlier, I would also put FreeBSD update process first, before starting desktop installation

freebsd-update fetch install
pkg upgrade

Regards,
Krzysztof

Yesterday, I had more time to review the code in details. It is really good for desktop installation if you do not want to repeat all the steps manually :)
I will use it as a base for myself, I was too lazy to create one for me.

However, I have couple advices for you to the next code release.

• as this script is intended for Desktop Environments installation, I would not ask if you wish to install XOrg
    This step should be mandatory for each DEs because they would not work without XOrg.
    Inexperienced users do not know if they need XOrg, they would like to have GNOME or KDE etc. :)

• VLC installation
Code:
INST_VLC=0
section
Code:
# ask INST_VLC
read -p "Install VLC media player (video & audio)? [y/N] " response
if echo "$response" | grep -iq "^y" ; then
[INDENT][INDENT]INST_VLC=1[/INDENT][/INDENT]
else
[INDENT][INDENT]INST_VLC=0[/INDENT][/INDENT]
fi

I would additionally check if you are not installing KDE.
If so, in this case you should not install VLC because KDE4 does have QT4 version multimedia/vlc-qt4 by default.
When you do this, QT4 version is uninstalled with KDE package itself. You are no longer able to logon to KDE.

Regards,
Krzysztof

Thanks for the feedback! All points you brought up make sense and I will add/modify them shortly.

did not know sysutils/desktop-installer existed when I wrote this. how it compares (i just had a quick look over the files, did not actually test): sysutils seems more sophisticated, offers more options, more configuration, but might also overwhelm new users. even getting to the point where you can run the script requires knowledge most newcomers will probably not have (pkg, ports, name/location of the script). it also does not leave you with a basic system that you can use for web browsing, media consumption, and programming. my script in comparison is very simple to use and runs on a completely unconfigured machine with minimal knowledge required, and leaves you with a selection of desktop applications you might probably install yourself afterwards.

PS: new version on github, changed the script according to suggestions above, also added a simple network check and startup parameters.

Thank you for this script. I'm searching for something like Tribblix's kitchen-sink for months but with FreeBSD.

broozar,
This is a nice script. Saved me quite a bit of time. desktop-installer crashed right away.

I think I should note that the URL you have for the Eastern US is incorrect and that the script fails during installation if it is chosen. I haven't checked to see what the correct one is, but http://pkg.us-east.freebsd.org/ appears to be wrong or outdated, and the script fails when it can't reach those packages. The "world" setting seems to have worked fine, though.

If I had a suggestion, on top of figuring out the right URL for US East (not sure if west is correct), is maybe write a construct where if a selection fails, either allow the user to select a different package location or go back to the default which appears to be just pkg.freebsd.org and worked just fine.

Thanks again, I have done FreeBSD installs of various kinds since the late 90s and this is a real time-saver.

I mght end up going with xfce myself, as I've had good results on many machines with it.

I got the script in this thread to run and install things, but still don't have Xorg running yet. Don't have quite as much fiddle time as I did, but I hope to work it out fairly soon.

I mght end up going with xfce myself, as I've had good results on many machines with it.

I got the script in this thread to run and install things, but still don't have Xorg running yet. Don't have quite as much fiddle time as I did, but I hope to work it out fairly soon.
And may I know what your script link is as indicated by the author of this open thread? We hope that you keep your scripts updated and current, as the desktop-installer automatically generates bugs in the terminal at startup and in your active activity.

Hi everyone, just to clarify: I no longer maintain the version of the script that offers a choice of desktop environments. The idea of making (and esp. testing) a single script that accounts for every desktop environment and every eventuality was too time consuming for me. Instead, I developed it into DarkMate (links above). The original version is still available on GitHub, feel free to fork it and customize it to your needs. XFCE is a fine choice too, I just don't have enough time to make another version of the script and test it - again, feel free to fork.

PS: will look into the new PKG download server URLs.

I don't know if anyone would be interested but I have a few scripts from our internal remote desktop software shown in this post: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-screen-shots.8877/page-61#post-465663

I am happy to clean up and share the script (I think less than 50 lines) to install this desktop. The desktop environment itself doesn't really have a name, it is just a bunch of separate desktop programs running together with a number of tweaks (because we found individual desktop environments too broken).

It kind of functions like Gnome 2 because we ran a user study at the University and the results were overwhelmingly in favour of it. Interestingly the i3 tiling window manager came second beating Gnome 3 and KDE 5.

Edit:
I did have plans to fix pcmanfm and remove that stupid dependency on gvfs (just for a sodding recycle bin!?). So far that is my biggest annoyance with it. gvfs is a massive bloated dependency and is larger than everything else (even Xorg) put together.

Looks interesting - I love high performance lightweight desktops. If it can be more easily customized than what I have to go through with Mate, I'd love to try it out.

I don't know if anyone would be interested but I have a few scripts from our internal remote desktop software shown in this post: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-screen-shots.8877/page-61#post-465663

I am happy to clean up and share the script (I think less than 50 lines) to install this desktop. The desktop environment itself doesn't really have a name, it is just a bunch of separate desktop programs running together with a number of tweaks (because we found individual desktop environments too broken).

It kind of functions like Gnome 2 because we ran a user study at the University and the results were overwhelmingly in favour of it. Interestingly the i3 tiling window manager came second beating Gnome 3 and KDE 5.

Edit:
I did have plans to fix pcmanfm and remove that stupid dependency on gvfs (just for a sodding recycle bin!?). So far that is my biggest annoyance with it. gvfs is a massive bloated dependency and is larger than everything else (even Xorg) put together.
I have compiled a customized pcmanfm,(only change toolbar the icons order)
what you think about spacefm?
is not ported but seems to be the "next" pcmanfm

what you think about spacefm?
is not ported but seems to be the "next" pcmanfm
Hmm, this looks very interesting. It looks like a cleaned up version of pcmanfm which is exactly what I was looking for.

If they do not have an insane requirement of gvfs just for the recycle bin (a bad decision from the PCManFM developer), then I am very interested in getting this one ported. A quick browse through the codebase, it looks good. I may not have time to create a formal FreeBSD port but I will certainly share any build scripts and patches if I do end up moving over to this.

Hmm, this looks very interesting. It looks like a cleaned up version of pcmanfm which is exactly what I was looking for.

If they do not have an insane requirement of gvfs just for the recycle bin (a bad decision from the PCManFM developer), then I am very interested in getting this one ported. A quick browse through the codebase, it looks good. I may not have time to create a formal FreeBSD port but I will certainly share any build scripts and patches if I do end up moving over to this.
Is there about long time,I remember some problem with one library that not exists in FreeBSD and cannot be ported,something about the notification filesystem library that only belong to Linux

I see some udev, hal and the dreaded gvfs stuff and I thought these were plugins that could be stripped out but on closer inspection they look quite firmly in there (this codebase looks like it is based on pcmanfm). If they are using an annoying Linux centric filesystem notification system then that adds to the mess.

So far the best I have seen is: http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/
Not only is it far lighter than the usual ones but it also manages to have more features oddly enough.

I still feel we need a "desktop environment jam". If developers all wrote one component (text editor, file manager, image viewer, etc), we would end up with a substantial system. I am tempted to make a post on reddit to see if we can get enough interested developers and maybe some sponsorship for prizes (all I can give away is old DOS hardware ;).

Back