• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

installDesktop script (pkg, x, de, basic applications)

iSiek

Quite good script which may help new users for sure :)

I would replace entries
Code:
echo "y" | pkg install <package>
with
Code:
pkg install -y <package>
This is the same but looks more professional :)

EDIT: Sorry, I have forgotten to add earlier, I would also put FreeBSD update process first, before starting desktop installation

freebsd-update fetch install
pkg upgrade

Regards,
Krzysztof

iSiek

Yesterday, I had more time to review the code in details. It is really good for desktop installation if you do not want to repeat all the steps manually :)
I will use it as a base for myself, I was too lazy to create one for me.

However, I have couple advices for you to the next code release.

• as this script is intended for Desktop Environments installation, I would not ask if you wish to install XOrg
    This step should be mandatory for each DEs because they would not work without XOrg.
    Inexperienced users do not know if they need XOrg, they would like to have GNOME or KDE etc. :)

• VLC installation
Code:
INST_VLC=0
section
Code:
# ask INST_VLC
read -p "Install VLC media player (video & audio)? [y/N] " response
if echo "$response" | grep -iq "^y" ; then
[INDENT][INDENT]INST_VLC=1[/INDENT][/INDENT]
else
[INDENT][INDENT]INST_VLC=0[/INDENT][/INDENT]
fi
I would additionally check if you are not installing KDE.
If so, in this case you should not install VLC because KDE4 does have QT4 version multimedia/vlc-qt4 by default.
When you do this, QT4 version is uninstalled with KDE package itself. You are no longer able to logon to KDE.

Regards,
Krzysztof

broozar

did not know sysutils/desktop-installer existed when I wrote this. how it compares (i just had a quick look over the files, did not actually test): sysutils seems more sophisticated, offers more options, more configuration, but might also overwhelm new users. even getting to the point where you can run the script requires knowledge most newcomers will probably not have (pkg, ports, name/location of the script). it also does not leave you with a basic system that you can use for web browsing, media consumption, and programming. my script in comparison is very simple to use and runs on a completely unconfigured machine with minimal knowledge required, and leaves you with a selection of desktop applications you might probably install yourself afterwards.

PS: new version on github, changed the script according to suggestions above, also added a simple network check and startup parameters.