Hyper-V Video Card Correct Use with /etc/rc.conf

What makes me really sad with Hyper-V is that there's no sound device emulation.
Hyper-V is "purposefully" kept quite basic by Microsoft. For video they recommend people using RDP and for audio, they recommend people using... well, RDP ;)

So for FreeBSD/Linux, our alternatives are X11/SSH forwarding and pulseaudio/sndio.

Indeed, they are not as convenient.

And now I have a WIP for a (bit better) Hyper-V framebuffer support, that would allow to use resolutions bigger than default 1024x768 and hide the builtin mouse pointer (that annoying dot):

scfb is still used as xorg driver, but now I'm running at 1920x1080.

What makes me really sad with Hyper-V is that there's no sound device emulation.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing this effort which gives me a bit of hope.

I was able to apply the patch to build a custom kernel with it.
I did run the powershell command on the host to set the resolution as single, 1920x1200.
I set "scfb" as a driver for Xorg and it starts, but in 800x600 - which is the size of my screen in console. (With vesa it starts in 1024x768.)

What am I missing here?

I think my VM is a Gen 1 on legagy BIOS/MBR, not Gen2 UEFI. Would that make a difference ?
Edit: Migrated to Gen2 / UEFI, updated efi_max_resolution in loader.conf now I have a 1920x1200 console, but the driver fails when I start Xorg. It works with 1920x1080 though. scfb_mmap fails with mmap returning zero, and I am afraid I don't understand why yet.

I also can't seem to get the mouse to work. I made sure my kernel conf includes hvhid. Xorg logs say it detects an udev mouse as event1 but it does not work.
Mouse now working, see https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/651835/.

Last edited:
Back