Hyper-V Video Card Correct Use with /etc/rc.conf

Hello fellow freeBSD community members,

I have been trying to get a VM running inside of Hyper-V I get everything working however the generic video driver shows lines when in use. Microsoft stats that freeBSD supports Hyper-V per their website, can anyone help me with the correct driver use to get startx to run? I have installed xorg and drm-kmod, I have also updated freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install. Users are also added wheel and video groups. pkg install desktop-installer, and desktop installer was also ran with a clean install same results. Startx does not continue.

1674184006958.png

with this configured this is what occurs

1674184052353.png

1674184289849.png

I am somewhat new to freeBSD can anyone help?

1674184147657.png

I have followed this guide to help with this install I have a command line and the freeBSD boots and lets me log in

Thanks for the reply. I do have this set to GEN 1 VM inside of Hyper-V.

Newb Question: To set the VESA driver do I run a Xorg -configure and take that xorg.conf.new and change the driver over? Or is there a different location for that setting in freeBSD? I have treid to adapt rc.conf and I have also tried to adapt the xorg.conf.d folder and add in the driver manually. Result was the same for me. This Microsoft Hyper-V video driver is causing some confusion. All Screen shots are from the VM running, it just wont start "startx"

1674201220552.png

1674201309714.png

It will not start the X Window system.

I think there's some regression of VESA driver after the new xorg-server upgrade. It was working last time i've checked:

Thanks, I follwed this post here, I do remember getting this to work with Red Hat in the late 90s with a Pentium 1 MMX, non virtual machine install. Anyway, back to 2023, so I deleted all the config in xorg.conf.d with rm *.conf I ran the startx and it states display not set and stops. I have also set sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6 and removed all the lines for kdl_list xterm and xint here is the result.

1674226172040.png

xinit It just stops, it is not frozen I can press enter and the screen iterates down one line.

1674226281362.png

1674226307107.png

The system went to default however will not auto configure it stops also.

There is got to be something I am forgetting for just the basic X Window System install.

1674226578703.png

Xorg -configure and testing that file results after deleting config and trying again.
Ran:
X -config /root/xorg.config.new

I think there's some regression of VESA driver after the new xorg-server upgrade. It was working last time i've checked:
I noticed my Ubuntu now uses xrdm to log in to the loopback for that VM after updating on a fresh install, is this the reason for use of xterm? To access the loopback? Below is a fresh install of Ubuntu with all updates installed and no changes, first the default login is xrdm, it's a remote desktop manager to access the local stored VM, however its for the loopback if you check ifconfig.

Microsoft does have documents showing support for freeBSD,

1674227224583.png

xterm is just an application which is set to be autostarted when use xinit if you don't have xterm you will get just a black screen with "X" cursor. So this is bare minimum of starting Xorg without any desktop manager or login manager so you can verify if your drivers like keyboard/mouse/video etc are up and running.

Thanks for your help and reply,

I am going to reinstall the iso and start fresh with the xorg-minimal this time.

xorg-minimal won't help it's not working at the moment as the issue is in the newer version of xorg-server.
Thanks for the update, I tested this and yes it locks up and shows no x for cursor with all of the tests we did both here and on the other post you shared. xorg-minimal locks up and will not function/ auto configure. I will test some other things later today. My fresh install failed to resolve this.

I am running this version,

1674237393478.png

So there is some issue with the new version and Hyper-V Microsoft Video adapter.

You might want to consider tigervnc instead?

I don't know if you have tried or have any familiarity with VNC. IMO it is a slightly easier solution. Systemd nonsense seems to clutter up most tutorials these days but much of it is still relatable:

https://access.redhat.com/documenta.../html/system_administrators_guide/ch-tigervnc

Give it a shot, I am sure we can help you further if you get stuck.
Thanks, I was checking if Microsoft is utilizing a new way to access the VMs with hypervisor, hence the RDM remote desktop manager screen now showing up. I am familiar with VNC and VNC viewer, PalmVNC+ "PalmPilot" and many others from years ago. I was wondering if they were using this to access the virtual systems via the loopback address, ie using RDM with the local loopback to access the virtual machines. TigerVNC that is new to me thanks for sharing the info.

I just installed the old version of xorg-server which can be found on the FreeBSD13.1 DVD and it's working there:
View attachment 15411
Thanks again for the information, how can I downgrade my version for support of hyper-v again?

"Hyper-V supports both emulated and Hyper-V-specific devices for FreeBSD virtual machines. When running with emulated devices, no additional software is required to be installed. However emulated devices do not provide high performance and cannot leverage the rich virtual machine management infrastructure that the Hyper-V technology offers. In order to make full use of all benefits that Hyper-V provides, it is best to use Hyper-V-specific devices for FreeBSD. The collection of drivers that are required to run Hyper-V-specific devices are known as FreeBSD Integration Services (BIS)."

Ref:

Just to clarify, originally you could just install xorg and it would test ok with startx and move into installing your flavor of GUI, however with the new update it is having some issues?

Thank you, I hope they fix this so Hyper-V can run freeBSD more efficiently with regards to GUI

scfb (that is, x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb) works for me on Gen2 VM.
And now I have a WIP for a (bit better) Hyper-V framebuffer support, that would allow to use resolutions bigger than default 1024x768 and hide the builtin mouse pointer (that annoying dot):

scfb is still used as xorg driver, but now I'm running at 1920x1080.

What makes me really sad with Hyper-V is that there's no sound device emulation.

Back