unable to resolve problem with /dev/dri/card0

I am attempting to build a FreeBSD 13.1 system with Xorg as a Hyper-V virtual machine on a Windows 10 Pro host. Because of earlier failures I have defined this as a generation 1 VM. I have attached Card0.zip containing all of the files I will reference.

startx will not come up, I am getting a EE level error as shown in Xorg.0.log;

[ 4040.962] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

[ 4040.962] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting

[ 4040.962] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

[ 4040.962] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support

[ 4040.962] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.

[ 4040.962] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"

[ 4040.962] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.

[ 4040.962] (EE)

Fatal server error:

[ 4040.962] (EE) no screens found(EE)

I haven’t declared a card0 (in Screen.conf), instead I use ;

Device "vgapci0"

In my Screen.conf file, as that is the label shown when I queried the OS for PCI devices as shown in PCI Video Adapter.png.

I been unable to resolve this existing problem with /dev/dri/card0, and request some assistance.

The Card0.zip contains:

./boot/ loader.conf

./etc/ fstab, group, rc.conf, and sysctl.conf

./logs/ PCI Video Adapter.png (screen shot), Xorg.0.log.png (screen shot), and Xorg.0.log the complete textual log.

./xorg.conf.d/ contains all of the Xorg *.conf files

I have successfully built FreeBSD workstations and servers for over twenty years, and I’m not used to finding a problem I couldn’t resolve. I’ve built on repurposed hardware and Hyper-V. I scoured the FreeBSD Handbook, Man pages, support forums for solutions, but I’ve come up short.

Attachments

• Card0.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 130
I have xorg-7.7.3, the X.org complete distribution metaport from FreeBSD 13.1 adm64. I have attached a complete list of installed packages.

Attachments

• pkg_info.txt
    62.8 KB · Views: 107
Read my first post.
Remove Inputdevice.conf and Mouse0-buttons.conf from your xorg.conf.d
I would remove all config files from xorg.conf.d and let Xorg to detect all devices and only after that to start modify/add some my customizations.

Thank you for reinforcing your original post. I removed *.conf files from xorg.conf.d.
startx didn't bring up Xorg. I still have the error:

(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

I've attached the /var/log files.

There's currently no driver for DRI that's why during the video card detection you see this error. The current option is to use VESA driver and ignore this error during the detection as it still will load the Xorg. Keep in mind that using VESA driver will result in low fps performance.
To have working keyboard/mouse you need sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6 or set it under /etc/sysctl.conf and you need to remove from your /etc/rc.conf all mouse related settings.

edit:
also remove kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" from rc.conf as there's no support for this driver under Hyper-V

Here's the minimum working config for Xorg under Hyper-v gen1

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
hostname="g1"
ifconfig_hn0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="NO"

/etc/sysctl.conf
Code:
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6

pkg install xorg-minimal xterm
xinit
1661182517214.png

note: to fix the errors for the missing fonts install the full xorg instead of xorg-minimal or add xorg-fonts meta port.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    58.8 KB · Views: 117
Back