FreeBSD Screen Shots

2023-02-16-112835_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

2023-02-16-123123_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

Voltaire, what is the syntax highlighting scheme you have on that Lisp code in the terminal? It looks super cool. Thanks.
The editor is just Vim. It is easy to enable syntax highlighting in Vim for all supported languages.
You can use the following settings for the .vimrc file and it will automatically apply syntax highlighting with any type of code you open in Vim.

set t_Co=16
syntax on

Pekwm in orange
PeKWM is one of the easiest WMs to configure, very lightweight, unlikely customizable, and it has many features that were way ahead of their time.
It used to be a WM that was popular with Arch Linux users, they felt that this WM best suited the philosophy of Arch users.

Not only were there many themes available, it was also incredible simple to develop your own theme for PeKWM.
It is fairly simple to make these kinds of 'advanced designs' with PeKWM:

Things like Aero Snap are incredibly easy to configure in PeKWM:

The files you find in /.pekwm/ are extremely expressive to make your entire desktop do everything you could ever want in relatively little time.
The 'keys' file is really powerful and has just about every option you could ever need by default.

For example, the dockable tabs that make Haiku so special have been used in PeKWM for decades:

Voltaire thanks. But i meant does the colour scheme itself have a name. Like i tend to use dark themes like Dark Fruit Salad and Dark Delt. I thought if it had a name it would save me typing in a bunch of hex codes for Geany.

Voltaire thanks. But i meant does the colour scheme itself have a name. Like i tend to use dark themes like Dark Fruit Salad and Dark Delt. I thought if it had a name it would save me typing in a bunch of hex codes for Geany.
It has no name because I made it myself. I didn't save it so I can't pass it on to you anymore.
You can find a few top-notch color schemes in these links:

Here are 7 pages with color schemes:

It is a very nice website with configuration files of many different apps and wms.

Hello. I want to ask how the dwm window manager works with the steam client? Do you need to apply patches?

I used Steam for about 50 minutes and I played CS:GO for 30 minutes at 1920x1080 resolution with Medium settings throughout and 4x anti-aliasing. I didn't have any issues during gameplay, it played smoothly on my hardware with those settings.

It is best not to adjust your graphics settings while playing the game, that is not stable in my experience. The other problem I've had in those 50 minutes is that a Steam GUI window became unresponsive and wouldn't respond to anything. I have always solved this by logging out of dwm and then logging in which takes less than 1 second with dwm. This happened to me twice and it was a different window that became unresponsive the second time.

If you don't adjust your graphics settings while playing the game (but before or after), and if you don't use the blue Steam GUI too much (I'm not talking about the 'in-game' GUI) then you're going to have little or no problems with dwm.

Hello. I want to ask how the dwm window manager works with the steam client? Do you need to apply patches?

I have done the official benchmark of the game, which you will find in the workshop. It averages 89.62 fps with almost all game settings on lowest or low on my system. This is for the GTX 650 1GB version in combination with an old i3-3240 dual-core and 4GB single channel DDR3 RAM. (You also have a 2GB version of this GPU) dwm's result is 9% higher in CS:GO compared to MATE, both with compositing enabled.

It seems to be perfectly normal performance in comparison with windows:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLi_LtjVfSY

His CPU is 7% slower than mine, but he has 4GB of extra RAM. And he uses dual channel RAM while I use single channel RAM which makes a difference in this game:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63lCCf7wFQ

His 17% higher score is normally largely because I'm running low on RAM, and I don't have dual-channel RAM either.
I think it will not be easy to play CS:GO on windows11 on my system because windows11 often uses 3GB of RAM (without opening apps and for some users it uses more than 3GB RAM in this case).

I played CS:GO on dwm for another 15 minutes yesterday evening and I haven't had any more problems, so my impression is that it works fine on dwm except for two specific situations.
I have tested a dozen games on dwm and with no game I have seen issues that I think are caused by dwm. I would say dwm is fine for gaming, and people share that view: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/hlu2eb/why_tilling_wm_is_best_for_games/

Thank you,Voltaire, for this detailed report. I'll try to install Steam and see how it all works. I think it will be fine, because my pc is practically analogous to yours.

Thank you,Voltaire, for this detailed report. I'll try to install Steam and see how it all works. I think it will be fine, because my pc is practically analogous to yours.
You're welcome.

I would recommend installing it via git, there is a known issue that it doesn't work if you install it via pkg.

Oh... windowmaker, with a few nice dockapps: wmcalclock, wmcpu, wmnd, wmix, wmclockmon, wmdiskmon, wmbsdbatt. Running on a thinkpad X201 with 8 GB RAM.

I couldn't work with that.
Translucent shells with distracting tits below. 😵‍💫

Back